Statendam, Ryndam or Zaandam ????

tytan

Never cruised HAL so looking for advice on which ship for a HAL newbie. We are looking at the 4 day repositioning cruises at the end of September that go from Vancouver to San Diego.

We cruised the mexican riviera with Carnival two years ago and got the bug, not the swine flu the cruise bug !

Suggestions appreciated on which ship will give us the best HAL experience.

TIA.

The Ryndam and Statendam are sisters and very similar. The Statendam is the oldest of the three. The Zaandam is a little larger and a little newer. I would think they would all provide a similar "HAL experience". Are the itineraries the same? The sticky about the classes of HAL ships also has a lot of helpful info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=350993

Never cruised HAL so looking for advice on which ship for a HAL newbie. We are looking at the 4 day repositioning cruises at the end of September that go from Vancouver to San Diego.

We cruised the mexican riviera with Carnival two years ago and got the bug, not the swine flu the cruise bug !

TIA.

Have cruised on all three ships, my thoughts would go towards the Ryndam. Both the Statendam and Ryndam are the same size ships, the Zaandam is a little larger. We have enjoy repositioning cruises but they are really more of a sample cruise then the real thing, but for a short get away, they are great. Our first cruise ship with Holland was the Ryndam, think you will enjoy her.

:D

TIA.

:DI've been on Both the Statendam and Ryndam, the Ryndam was my first, loved her, we will be on the Zaandam, on the Oct 4 09 departure, I'm sure that she will be just has good has the others. You can check the roll call on circle Hawaii Oct 4th departure. Lots of very nice CC'rs on board very active group. Heck join us to San Diego or better yet come on along for the whole cruise. It will definably be a blast. But which ever one you choose you will have a great time I'm sure.:D

We have sailed on all 3 ships several times.

I looked over your itineraries and the Zaandam has you staying longer in Victoria than the other 2 ships.

Spending only 6 or 7 hours in a port -- you don;t get to do too much.

I would select the Zaandam.

The Zaandam is what I was leaning to because the dates work better for us. The extra time in Victoria would make my wife even happier.

We have been on the RYNDAM for 2 cruises and the STATENDAM for 3 cruises. Never have been on the ZAANDAM but have heard nice things about her.

Our last HAL cruise was on the STATENDAM in Feb/March of this year. We love this ship with its lovely Piano Bar. The only complaint we have is that she was getting tired in March and needed some repairs. HAL will be doing a refitting on her later this year so she will be back to their excellent standards again!

We have been on the RYNDAM for 2 cruises and the STATENDAM for 3 cruises. Never have been on the ZAANDAM but have heard nice things about her.

Our last HAL cruise was on the STATENDAM in Feb/March of this year. We love this ship with its lovely Piano Bar. The only complaint we have is that she was getting tired in March and needed some repairs. HAL will be doing a refitting on her later this year so she will be back to their excellent standards again!

The majority of her refitting has been postponed.

I have been on the Ryndam and the Zaandam. Another consideration is that the Zaandam does have the additional bank of elevators, which in my opinion, makes it easier to get around the ship. The Zaandam also appears to be a bit newer than the Ryndam ( I know that it is newer, I'm just saying it also looks that way).

We were just on the Ryndam for a 14 day cruise and found the whole experience fantastic. The staff were great. The food was very good and the atmosphere on the trip was very good.

Booked a balcony on the Zaandam departing Oct 4th, used airmiles for the cruise and two nights in San Diego before flying home. Had to use Aeroplan for the flight home as airmiles don't do one way flights. More time in Victoria plus the dates worked better for our schedule.

Our last cruise was Carnival so it will be interesting comparing the two lines.

Should be a nice surprise for my wifes birthday in a few days.

Now the waiting game begins.

Archived