Cancelling and re-booking

cruzadict

Received details yesterday of the new prices for 2010 cruises. We took up the option of Advanced payment for our cruise in January 2010 and paid in full on 1st April. The new prices are now £1100 per person cheaper and I would only have to pay a deposit now and the full amount in November!!!! They have been holding my money since April and receiving interest on this no doubt. The offer says that it is only for new bookings. Has anyone been in this situation and how easy would it be for me to cancel my existing booking with a full refund (i have confirmed that this can be done) and rebook at the new price. This is something that you could expect from NCl or Carnival but not from a 6* cruise line.

If you booked thru a T/A you should have to do nothing. Silversea is reviewing all of the current bookings and will give you the most advantageous pricing/refund. We did the same thing that you did and are on the 3 Jan Spirit cruise as well. Our T/A contacted SS and called us back with the above info. For us the difference on the cruise fare is only $156 total(Silver Suite), but the air is $1000 less with the new pricing, so it's significant. They said they needed 72 hours to rework everything. Recommend that you contact your T/A.

I suggest you wait a few days before calling your TA. They were really blindsided by SS on these changes, no advance warning, and it is currently driving them all crazy. Things should calm down as SS works through all of the previous bookings, as Dougburns has said.

I had already contacted my TA and she has said that she had spoken to Silversea and it had to be referred to management but that it was unlikely that we would get any refund as the pricing is for new bookings only. She would come back to me when she had a reply from Silversea which could take 4-5 days. I am considering just cancelling this cruise and re-booking it in a few days. Does anyone know how long it takes for Silversea to issue a refund. Is it different criteria for UK residents?

I was told that my March (fully paid) booking would be adjusted and the price difference refunded to my credit card. My December 2010 booking was re-priced and now under the normal payment schedule. Both sailings went down in price.

We had our cruise booked for about 6 months when the price went down with the same caveat of new bookings only/no rebookings. We called and they gave us the refund with no problem - even let us keep the onboard booking savings. Wait until your TA gets an answer before you think about cancelling and rebooking.

cruizadict; Your T/A is absolutely wrong. Your fare will be adjusted by SS. Sounds like you need a new T/A.

I think the TA hasn't gotten the info from SS yet... Give them the benefit of the doubt.. (for now)

Host Dan

I agree with Host Dan.

This has happened to us twice on Silversea. Both times they refunded the difference back to our credit card after we had made final payment. Another time, they adjusted our fare to the lower price before final payment was due.

I like the fact that they actually refund the difference back to you in the original form it was paid. Some other lines will just give you back shipboard credit, if anything.

I think your TA will have good news for you very soon.

Is it different criteria for UK residents?

cruzadict - just wait to see what your TA says. Everyone responding to you on this thread is from North America. North Americans always get the best deal - from all cruiselines. It MAY be different because you are a UK resident...things are certainly different for Aussies.

Don't jump in too quick to cancel though. Have you thought about using an American TA?

Good luck.

Cheers

ging466

We had booked and paid in full for two upcoming cruises (Spirit in April of 10 and Shadow in October of 10). Both sailings are now offering free air and lower fares. Our TA called SS and they immediately adjusted our fares (reduced by $1800) and added on the free air! No arguments, no fuss, no problem. I am so pleased that SS is different than all the rest. SS has earned my loyalty.

We had booked and paid in full for two upcoming cruises (Spirit in April of 10 and Shadow in October of 10). Both sailings are now offering free air and lower fares. Our TA called SS and they immediately adjusted our fares (reduced by $1800) and added on the free air! No arguments, no fuss, no problem. I am so pleased that SS is different than all the rest. SS has earned my loyalty.

Hi travelingduo

This is really good news for you.

I'd like to hear from anyone outside of North America as to their experiences with SS and getting a fare reduced. Are there any Aussies who have had their fares reduced....I know I know, we can't get free air:(

Cheers

ging466

Seems that we in Australia are not entitled to free air or the Silversea GuestCare Programme. Travel insurance is fine unless you have a pre existing condition, when I asked my TA to check with SilverSea in Sydney, Australian passengers are excluded from both of these "perks"

Hi Jennifer,

Maria here ( the Whisper last December)

Just to let you know my TA just emailed me to let me know they are

ajusting my fare for my upcoming voyage. Its not much and they have

a awfull dollar to euro rate but at least they are doing it'

Regards,

Maria

Hi Jennifer, Maria here (the Whisper last December) Just to let you know my TA just emailed me to let me know they are ajusting my fare for my upcoming voyage. Its not much and they have a awfull dollar to euro rate but at least they are doing it' Regards,

Maria

Hi Maria - hope you are keeping well. I'm glad to hear that you receiving a reduction - it beats nothing:)

I'm pleased to report that I have booked my second and third SS cruise. I'm on the Silver Spirit October 2010, Lisbon-Bridgetown and then back to back with Bridgetown-Bridgetown. The best thing is that I've gotten a 125% single supplement and on a balcony. I have NEVER had a balcony before (never could afford the 175%+ single supplement) so I am over the moon.

I will definitely be interested to hear your thoughts after your crossing in January.

Cheers

ging466

Thanks for all your replies. I have actually cancelled our cruise but booked the Xmas/New Year cruise from Sydney to Auckland. When these prices were released originally they were cost prohibitive but with the huge discounts we are now able to take the cruise that we really wanted at a cost of £3000 less than the original cruise.

Has anyone done this cruise? Is it good? I know every SS cruise is more than good!!!

Archived