Alaska help!!

we are a bit confused planning our Alaskan trip!! When is the best time to visit Alaska? Is the "inside passage" the way to go?? any and all help would be greatly welcomed!!!!! thanks in advance!

Dean

I just returned from our second Alaska cruise and have vacationed in Alaska several times on land.

The end of July and early August are best for cruising if you want to avoid rain and cold. This being said, it is always cold (in my opinion) on a cruise. I knew better, but cruised during the rainy season the end of June...it rained and was cold. A land vacation will be warmer so if you are adding a land tour, pack accordingly.

As for the inside passage, you will be in the inside passage on most cruises but I think you are better off cruising either the Northbound or Southbound if you want to see more, but...a round trip out of Seattle or Vancouver will offer cheaper airfares. (You don't get as far north on a round trip out of Seattle or Vancouver.) A lot of people do a 'back to back' cruise so they don't have to pay the 'open jaw' fares (flying to one city and out of another), sometimes doing two cruises back to back is less expensive than the extra airfare.

No matter how you decide to cruise you will enjoy the scenery and your cruise. I don't think there is a 'bad' way to cruise Alaska.

The ships tours are very expensive in Alaska and most of the ports offer the same tours much cheaper once you get off the ship. Also, once you get to port you may decide the visibility is not worth the price of that float plane ride...best to wait and see if you have clear day in my opinion.

If you decide to cruise out of or to Seward, you can tag on your own "land tour" by staying a few days in Anchorage. The Kenai can be done in a one day trip by car or taking a train ride to Seward then a tour or rent a car and go to Exit Glacier or take a tour boat ride in the fiords. If you want to go up to Denali you can do it in one day but it is best to stay the night up there if you REALLY want to see it and wild life. Also, August is when you will see the fireweed in bloom and the salmon.

Enjoy!

Archived