Shopping in walking distance to port?

bellasdesk

There's LOTS of shopping right at the dock. There are 3 shopping areas (well, 4 if you include the one across the street - Al Cohen's Mall). Havensight Mall (not like a Stateside mall) is steps away from the ships. Port of Sale is across the parking lot, and has a few stores. A short walk going west from the cruise ships is Yacht Haven Grande with deisgner stores like Coach. There's also a cute store for kids - Kool Kidz. All shopping areas have at least one restaurant/bar.

The Butterfly Farm and Paradise Point tram are within walking distance. No beaches within walking distance, but there's a swimming pool at Paradise Gate (across from the Butterfly Farm) where you can play pool and swim in the pool if you eat/drink there.

Ms411,

High again! Can you get me info on the butterfly farm? I'm sure we will dock at Crown Bay, but may ask to be dropped off at H. dock to shop and inf close enough go to the butterfly farm and maybe do the tram.

Debr

Ms411,

High again! Can you get me info on the butterfly farm? I'm sure we will dock at Crown Bay, but may ask to be dropped off at H. dock to shop and inf close enough go to the butterfly farm and maybe do the tram.

Debr

That would be Hi not High:rolleyes: Debr

The Butterfly Farm and Paradise Point tram are within walking distance. No beaches within walking distance, but there's a swimming pool at Paradise Gate (across from the Butterfly Farm) where you can play pool and swim in the pool if you eat/drink there.

Is the tram different from the cablecar?if so do you know the cost.

Thanks

Sandian

The tram, cable car, and sky ride are all the same. I'd hate to quote the cost, because it goes up almost every year. I think it's about $20 pp now, and last I heard, you could get the tickets cheaper on the ship. Some excursions that rely heavily on cruise passengers have to offer discounts to cruise passengers so the cruise line can give passengers an incentive to book through them.

If you plan to do the tram, it's a good idea to schedule it when they have the bird show. Also take the short nature trail that takes you further up the hill for an even better view. It gets hot up there, though, in the summer!!!

The tram, cable car, and sky ride are all the same. I'd hate to quote the cost, because it goes up almost every year. I think it's about $20 pp now, and last I heard, you could get the tickets cheaper on the ship. Some excursions that rely heavily on cruise passengers have to offer discounts to cruise passengers so the cruise line can give passengers an incentive to book through them.

If you plan to do the tram, it's a good idea to schedule it when they have the bird show. Also take the short nature trail that takes you further up the hill for an even better view. It gets hot up there, though, in the summer!!!

Thanks for your help and advice, I did hear if you took an island tour that they sometimes drove up to Paradise point. Daughter wants to try the new bungee jump thing seen advertised, but wondered if we would have time on a tour. Hence the reason why I wondered if we could maybe do it ourself.

Thanks again

Sandian

I don't think many tours go to Paradise Point. I think shortly after Mountain Top burned down, more were taking people there, but now that they can take people to The Greathouse, I don't think many are still going there. Some taxi drivers used to stop people while they were walking to the tram, and offer to take them on a tour that included Paradise Point, but I don't see that as much now.

I've seen kids on the Sky Jump, and they were having a blast. It kept them occupied while the parents had drinks. I'm sure the kids slept very well that night.;)

I don't think many tours go to Paradise Point. I think shortly after Mountain Top burned down, more were taking people there, but now that they can take people to The Greathouse, I don't think many are still going there. Some taxi drivers used to stop people while they were walking to the tram, and offer to take them on a tour that included Paradise Point, but I don't see that as much now.

I've seen kids on the Sky Jump, and they were having a blast. It kept them occupied while the parents had drinks. I'm sure the kids slept very well that night.;)

I guess we will have to do it ourself then as she seems quite keen, as long as she does not expect us to do it too.

Thanks again

All of the prementioned ideas are good ones, but for those who want a great view that's free when taking a tour ask if you can stop on Skyline Drive at the Scenic overlook. You may even be able to get the taxi driver to go there on the way back from Magen's Bay, as it's not really out of the way.

On quiet days when there are hardly any ships in, it may be empty, but even with one or two ships in you'll usually find various vendors up there and donkey or two to take a pic with. The view is spectular, it's higher than Paradise Point and it's free !

Scott

Archived