Who to book with? Last minute prices?

redeemed

I am looking for the best deal/incentive package to book a sailing on DCL. Any company recommendations? We are a family of 7 so I would appreciate any tips and credits I can find ;)

Also, although pickings would likely be slim, is it common to find deals with Disney for sailings that are sooner than later? For instance, I found 2 OV on a Sept sailing that was $2K less than I was looking at for Jan (which I know is a low month). Is it typically like that?

Thank you!

Please, no travel agent recommendations on these boards. See the Guidelines link above and on every page for more information.

If you need a travel agent, I'd like to suggest that you consider the sponsors that bring you Cruise Critic for free. They can be found on the ads on every page as well as in the Cruise Agencies and Cruise Deals links at the top of the page under the photo with the lady with the freakishly long arm.:eek:

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

Let's make the question a little more general to suit those that may want to do some research on their own. Is it likley to find better deals on DCL trips just before the cruise? If so, at how many weeks out does Disney typically reduce the fair? If not Disney, is it worth looking at the various online sites?

My experience has been that the deals you find on the Disney site are duplicated by all the travel agencies, with some of the agencies throwing in extra on-board credit on occasion. But I haven't seen any real cut rate deals out there.

There is one site that, unlike Disney and the others, divides the fare in half and excludes the known taxes, so they look much cheaper (the Disney site does a "package" based on the number of people and cabin, and doesn't quote "per person, double occupancy" like this site does). When I did the math on several cruises, the discount site was the same price as the official Disney cruise line site. (I don't think the site is doing anything sneaky; I think they are just "normalizing" the way they quote prices for all their cruises).

There are price variations depending on season, and this year they were extending large on-board credits to fill the ships. There was also a combo fare that included discounts for children this year. I suspect all of those specials will go away when the economy comes back.

I was interested to see that the Feb. 27, 2009 7 day Eastern cruise is quite a bit cheaper than the one before it or after it. Can't explain that one!

I am looking for the best deal/incentive package to book a sailing on DCL. Any company recommendations? We are a family of 7 so I would appreciate any tips and credits I can find ;)

Also, although pickings would likely be slim, is it common to find deals with Disney for sailings that are sooner than later? For instance, I found 2 OV on a Sept sailing that was $2K less than I was looking at for Jan (which I know is a low month). Is it typically like that?

Try some different dates if you can be a bit flexible with it. I was surprised to find the Feb. 27th cruise a few hundred dollars less than the cruises before or after it.

I'm waiting until next month to see if they open up the "Land / Sea" vacations for 2010 ... none are listed yet. For us, this is the best deal. We usually do a three night WDW stint first, and then the four night cruise. For the Caribbean, we choose a category 10 inside room (still has the split bath) and stay at Port Orleans Riverside for the land portion (we really like that resort). Pricing for the two of us runs somewhere around $2500 in a Cat 10 inside cabin (at least, that's what it is for December of this year; we'll know next month when they release the rates for 2010.)

Because we've been to WDW a few times, we can easily do everything we want to in the three days. Our typical schedule is to visit the Magic Kingdom, Disney Studios or Animal Kingdom during the day and then, because they usually close early in the winter, head over to Epcot for the evening (you have to check the schedules, but World Showcase is open until 9pm and Future World usually until something like 7pm.) Crowds are light in January and early February in our experience, so this works out fine.

When our kids were home, they loved this vacation. We have continued the tradition, and we're looking forward to when the grandchildren are a bit older so we can torture my SIL with a full week of Disney (hey, he married my daughter, and he knew what he was getting into ...)

Thank you!

Do some hunting aroundon line. Some cruises on the Magic in December (the 5th and the 12th) have been greatly reduced.

12/5 inside $949 outside $1159.

12/12 inside $699 outside $1219.

And you get all the fun of a Christmas cruise much cheaper than if you went closer to 12/25.

If you find a rate that is good you can call Disney and see if they will better it or at least meet it. Also if you charge it on a Disney Visa reward card you have 6 months intrest free to pay it off.

You don't say if you are a Florida resident or not. I think there is a reduced rate for that.

Good luck and safe travels

Be careful of reduced rates for Florida residents. I was looking at a great rate for an outside cabin in September but probably won't get it because Disney limits the number of Florida residents discounts to a total of 50 cabins per cruise or at least this is what my research on the Internet has found posted at several online cruise sites. If you see a great price for a Florida resident discount and you want it grab it fast. Mine went away in under 24 hours.

Have a great next cruise.

Just a follow up on my post above. My TA called this morning and was able to get us an outside cabin on the Magic for it's Eastern Caribbean cruise on September 12 for $699 per person plus taxes and fees. The outside cabin is on deck two but towards the middle of the ship which should be fine.

We were also able to get $50 in cruise credit for using a Disney credit card to pay for the cruise and $25 in cruise credit the agency was offering.

It will be our first Disney cruise and we are looking forward to trying it.

Have a great next cruise.

We got an amazing last minute deal for the Wonder on the 6th with the FL resident pkg, so it's definately wort a try if your a florida resident. Plus we got an onboard credit! We did have to take an inside cabin but we really don't plan on spending much time in the room so it's fine. We had the chance to even get one price level less ($1349 for 3 adults) with a FL guarantee room, but we hesitated and it was gone by the next day. We ended up spending about 100 more with taxes and insurance, so from what I've heard that's pretty good :) Advice...know the prices, and if you go through a reputable agency and they get you a good price - take it! good luck!

We're old timers with Princess and Royal Caribbean but now want to also try Disney as the grandchildren are 3 & 1/2 and 5. Since RCI now has standard pricing across the board at their site and with discounters, I wasn't quite sure where to start with Disney. We all want the very best deal! I'll study deck plans and, yes, will contact advertisers on your webpage. I noticed that Disney gives military a discount but didn't see any special rates for teachers. I have a bunch of homework to do ... but planning a trip is always fun and exciting!

• 1 month later...

September rate's for Disney, I believe are the lowest rare's of the year for them. 1st, or 2nd week of October rates are nice also. In January you are going to trade 2,or 3 day's of cool weather, not unpleasant, for the really nice day's of the fall. One thing is for certain, their will be no Hurricane in January. Castaway Cay, is a tough swim in January. JHMO. Metrowon

Archived