Are all Carnival ships this dangerous ???

BeachyLisa

ONe CC member likes to sit and watch people fall--thinks it's funny.

I wish he or she would have been there to watch me. I hate I wasted all that energy not hitting the ground for nothing.

People falling are funny. Arms flailing, legs flopping, the look on their face is priceless.

Before I get blasted, the end result is not funny, but the act of falling is. Maybe I should change my comment to "People slipping is funny"

I wish he or she would have been there to watch me. I hate I wasted all that energy not hitting the ground for nothing.

People falling are funny. Arms flailing, legs flopping, the look on their face is priceless.

Before I get blasted, the end result is not funny, but the act of falling is. Maybe I should change my comment to "People slipping is funny"

Exactly. Like I explained in that other post, how many people watch AFV. Gee, it's been on TV over 20 years.

And although rare, anytime I've ever fallen anywhere, I don't know who been trying trying not to pee themselves more....me or the people around me.

Different story if something serious happened, though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20039255&postcount=22

Exactly. Like I explained in that other post, how many people watch AFV. Gee, it's been on TV over 20 years.

And although rare, anytime I've ever fallen anywhere, I don't know who been trying trying not to pee themselves more....me or the people around me.

Different story if something serious happened, though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20039255&postcount=22

I've always told my friends, "If you fall, I'll help you up, but I'm going to laugh at you if you are conscious and no bones are sticking out". Usually, when I'm laughing while helping them, they start laughing as well. Most folks will laugh after the shock and disorientation has worn off. Heck, even folks that have broken bones laugh about it after their bones are fixed. (As an ER nurse, I know this first hand.) It's never funny when someone gets hurt, but life is too short to be pissed off all the time at things we have no control over.

I still wish I had a video of me falling that day. :D

I've always told my friends, "If you fall, I'll help you up, but I'm going to laugh at you if you are conscious and no bones are sticking out". Usually, when I'm laughing while helping them, they start laughing as well. Most folks will laugh after the shock and disorientation has worn off. Heck, even folks that have broken bones laugh about it after their bones are fixed. (As an ER nurse, I know this first hand.) It's never funny when someone gets hurt, but life is too short to be pissed off all the time at things we have no control over.

I still wish I had a video of me falling that day. :D

Reminds me of this past winter, after an ice storm, taking out the garbage, and letting the dog come with me.

All alone, and this 240lb 6'1" frame found myself suddenly horizontal. Dog was looking at me all stupid, and here I had a wasted fall where I couldn't even reap the benefits.

I got up and went inside, with at least a bruised ego.

It's those cheap plastic Wal-Mart type flip flops that are sooooooo dangerous. I work in a place that hosts tourists on a daily basis. And, everytime it rains, there are at least 3-4 people that attempt to run to take cover, and they slip/fall on the concrete b/c they are wearing those awful flip flops. A few have even broken limbs: arms, legs, a shoulder, etc...

They are cute shoes--but oh-so-dangerous.

CeleBrat

No, I think it's certain types of shoes. Most of the time, I had no issue at all with slipping and sliding, but when wearing one pair of shoes, I really had to watch my step.

I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

I have degenerative disc disease, which has resulted to my spinal discs being *very* fragile. Consequently, I am quite afraid of falling.

When I was on the Pride a couple of weeks ago, I viewed walking across the Lido with much trepidation. I saw some young, nimble people slide a couple of times on the first day or two, and I was very, very afraid to walk across. However, as it turned out, I never felt unsteady. I was surprised.

I'm thinking it is not just the surface, but a combination of factors.

Since you just came back from the Pride, could you tell us anything else about the rest of your trip?

I have been back for a week. Have "cruise fever", so just scheduled a CTN in October. What would you like to know? :-D

Thanks to all that explained to me that water makes things slippery - I never knew!!

That being said it was not the wood that was slippery but the tiled part as pictured by previous poster. There usually was not any alcohol involved and yes the type of shoes definately matter, but seriously what are most people going to be wearing around the pool? Bare feet and flip-flops (especially kids and women) cuz I don't think I'd look so hot with my sneakers on with my bathing suit !!

Anyway, we had a great time and if we go again I'll get some non-skid flip-flops. The point was that while it is common sense that pool decks are going to be slippery this surface was way beyond that.

Thanks to all that explained to me that water makes things slippery - I never knew!!

That being said it was not the wood that was slippery but the tiled part as pictured by previous poster. There usually was not any alcohol involved and yes the type of shoes definately matter, but seriously what are most people going to be wearing around the pool? Bare feet and flip-flops (especially kids and women) cuz I don't think I'd look so hot with my sneakers on with my bathing suit !!

Anyway, we had a great time and if we go again I'll get some non-skid flip-flops. The point was that while it is common sense that pool decks are going to be slippery this surface was way beyond that.

Oh come on.....sneakers with a bathing suit can be a new trend. ;) People wear crocs with bathing suits :D.

***disclaimer......I own 2 pairs of crocs***

Must say, I tend to go barefoot when out by the pool. I've hit the deck bottom up twice, both times, I was in rubber flip flops. (I don't start cocktails until dinner, so alcohol was not a contrinuting factor:rolleyes:) I am not going down that way again...I trust my own bare skin more than the soles of my shoes.

Mr.Pete, LOL... if I was one of your onboard chuckles, I have nothing to strut but I hope you got a good look at my freshly manicured toesies as they went flying into the air:D

It wasn't the teak that was slippery, but this part:

DSC_7579.JPG

Absolutely! It wasn't the teak part, but the resin (or whatever it was) surface! I've sailed the Pride twice, and the Spirit once, and both ships had this same surface. The crew are constantly using squeegees to reduce the water on the floor, but it remains slippery if it has even the slightest bit of water on it. It's very scary. (I still love the Pride, but would like to see them fix the lido floors.)

The other Carnival ships I've been on have not had this problem.

Congratulations to G'ma for never slipping on the lido deck of the Pride.

I'm not sure if it is the teak, the tile or the resin. I am not even sure which ships. I do know that when you come off the metal steps walking towards the pool, you need to be very careful when you take that last step onto the floor.

I have seen many people slip on the teak area on the Elation by the slide.......they finally put down rubber mats AFTER a child was hurt:rolleyes:

Even though many of us complained about it beforehand.....and I have to say nobody was laughing........it was not funny at all........

The only time I've ever slipped or fallen was on the Pride.

Can't say alcohol was the problem because we had just gotten on the ship and hadn't had a drink yet.

Because I had already fallen once, I was very careful while walking on deck. But, the next day, I slip again...only this time, I catch myself before hitting the ground. BUT, as I'm starting to fall, my SIL tries to help me...and SHE slips and falls.

Rest of the cruise, whenever I had to walk across that deck, I took off whatever shoes I was wearing.

I saw more people slip on that cruise than in all the cruises I've been on.

When I was on the Destiny in May I watched more people trip/fall because of those blue mats than because of the slippery deck. With all the people walking around they became detached from one another and therefore one would be on top of the other a bit, creating a good place to trip. If there was some sort of anti-slip surface people would trip on that (those who weren't expecting it, and their toes caught it, etc) Basically around a pool there is no solution and you just need to take caution. Being aware of your surroundings isn't going to work 100% of the time but it will prevent falls much of the time. I think the only way to solve slipping/falling on the lido deck is to have everyone stay off it which isn't going to happen. Caution and attention must be used on slippery surfaces and the best is to remind our friends/family of these slippery surfaces (in my opinion). : )

Megan

Never had a problem with slipping on the ships, but my 18 yo DS did a face plant on one of the piers at Cozumel. We were returning to the ship from Paradise Beach during a cloudburst and in the scurry, he lost his footing on that terracotta type surface on the pier. He went down with a twist and a thud. I thought he'd come up with a mouthful of blood, but he just had a couple nicks.

I fell twice on our Pride cruise. 2 different types of shoes. I wrote letters, but got no response...

Instead of that very smoothe surface by the pool area, they need that rubbery surface that has the sand-like material in it. It gives you traction.

I am a little wary about this for our next Pride cruise in Sept. If you see me on that cruise, I will be the one walking like a little old lady on the Lido deck... you can pass me, but be VERY careful! The wind might knock me over!:rolleyes:

Lots of good comments here. My two cents worth: I wear non-skid sandals to the very edge of the pool-- don't leave them by my deck chair, because if the tile isn't wet, it's HOT!! (at least I hope it is, we take warm weather cruises as a break from our Alaska weather)

I am always surprised by folks who appear miffed that a boat or ship is moving with the sea-- whether on deck, or in the dining room.

Many years ago I was a witness in a case where someone had slipped and fallen on a charter fishing boat. They were suing the boat owner because they slipped and fell on a wet, moving deck.

I attended the entire trial, because my DH was a boat skipper at that time, (not of the boat in the case) and we were curious as to the outcome.

The court ruled that as it was the nature of a boat to move constantly, and be on, in and around water, and that as there were posted warnings to be carefull and instructions while booking as to safety requirements, all Coast Guard requirements were met, and due caution was observed, there was no negligence or extra responsibility for the boat owner. Now, that was a long time ago, and laws may have changed. But boat/ship decks are still often wet and moving. lol.

That case was in California in the 1980s, in a federal court, and the lawyers kept citing US Maritime law.

. Caution and attention must be used on slippery surfaces and the best is to remind our friends/family of these slippery surfaces (in my opinion). : )

Megan

This is true.......but there is no reason to have slippery surfaces around a pool.........it can be prevented with the right surface........

The court ruled that as it was the nature of a boat to move constantly, and be on, in and around water, and that as there were posted warnings

Right?

Sort of like someone saying there's no reason to have slippery surfaces on the road on a rainy day.....it can be prevented with the right surface.

Saw the same thing happen on Disney and RCCL.

Same thing happened to me on my first cruise [RCL]. Strange how the deck improves when I wear my deck shoes instead of my slip-flops. Another tip: do not put sunscreen on the bottoms of your feet, especially the oily kind.:D

when i cruise..i ALWAYS bring along a pair of LLBean water shoes..they re just like your gym shoes cept they ll drain water on the bottom ..and they have non skid soles..

they re so cheap that rotate 3 pairs at home..but, cuz they have drain holes on the soles..i don t wear them to the dog park. :o

knowing the enviorment on a cruise i don t know why so many people

don t wear some sort of non skid footwear..particularly around the

pool s..

Come to think of it, the slipperiest surface I have ever been on is the red tiles in and around McDonald's. Now, since most of us Carnival cruisers are in the McDonald's economic class, we should be prepared for anything, no?

FLAME TIME!!!

Archived