Getting off Quebec

We are sailing aboard the Crown Princess and will be in Quebec on Oct 23. We are planning to go to Montreal and spend a couple of days there. We are thinking of taking the train to Montreal.

Since the ship would have docked in Quebec on Oct 21 (staying 2 nights in Quebec on ship), would it be feasible for us to catch the 7:50 am train from Quebec to Montreal? The next one is 12:45 pm. We would prefer to arrive in Montreal earlier.

Also, how far is the cruise port to the train station? How much is the taxi fare.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Verga

The train station is very close to the dock - in fact, you could probably walk it in about 15 minutes:http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Terminal+de+croisi%C3%A8res%E2%80%8E&daddr=46.817125,-71.20707+to:Gare+du+palais&geocode=FUddygId0o7B-yE8QB_6aciEFg%I3B%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=46.818417,-71.206341&sspn=0.006578,0.027423&ie=UTF8&z=15

I would make sure with Princess that you will be able to disembark at that hour, but if so, you should be able to make that train.

Thanks Twickenham for your reply.

My sister and her DH are flying out of Quebec at 6 PM on date of disembarkation. Are there left luggage facilities in Quebec?

Also, how far is cruise port to airport?

Alas, the airport isn't nearly as close. Google maps: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Terminal+de+croisi%C3%A8res&daddr=A%C3%A9roport+International+Jean+Lesage&geocode=FUddygId0o7B-yE8QB_6aciEFg%3BFU8CygIdz8S--w&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=46.801207,-71.305074&sspn=0.105287,0.438766&ie=UTF8&ll=46.804995,-71.290627&spn=0.05264,0.219383&z=12 gives an optimistic time of 21 minutes, but with traffic I would allow 30-40 minutes myself. I think there may be lockers at the bus station (same building as the train station); another option would be to rent a car - there's Hertz and Budget offices just up the hill from the station.

I’m not sure I understood you – are you disembarking the ship in Quebec, then traveling on your own? Otherwise, you may want to spend the 2 days in Quebec – there is plenty to see and do. Montreal is great (my home town), but it would be a shame to be in Quebec and not see it.

Otherwise, if you do not make the morning train, I’m sure there must be frequent express buses running non-stop between Quebec and Montreal. An express bus would probably be just about as quick.

In the past Sea Princess, Crown ect. they have done disembarkation in the wee hours of the morning, like from 0400 hrs on, since there are many catching very early flights 0545 -0630-0715 hrs ect. you might want to confirm first however as maybe this insn't the case on this particular voyage but I would think it would be the same. just for your info another alternative

in coach style bus,, quite comfortable less than 3 hours door to door.

they also leave from the same place Gare du Palais, as the train.

although maybe not as fun as riding the train in 1st class, its just still another option you could consider if you needed to.

here are some links for you:

http://www.viarail.ca/en

http://www.orleansexpress.com/Search.aspx

We got off the Sea Princess several years ago and took the train to Montreal. There is no way we could have made the early train as disembarkation that day was very very long, a good two hours. We stowed our bags at the train station, very close to the port, and looked around Quebec City for the day. We then took the 6pm train to Montreal. Quebec City is a not to be missed city. We loved it and will certainly return.

I’m not sure I understood you – are you disembarking the ship in Quebec, then traveling on your own? Otherwise, you may want to spend the 2 days in Quebec

The ship the OP is on is docked in Quebec City for 2 days prior to disembarkation.

I'd second staying in Quebec City.

I'm from Toronto, and frequently drive out to Quebec and Montreal for (long) weekend trips. While Montreal is very nice, it's still just a large city much like any other. Quebec City is distinct and unique in North America, and is even more European than a lot of European cities.

Also, the train service between Quebec and Montreal is low priority for the operator as the main line east of Montreal follows the south shore, out to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The Quebec line is just a branch line. This means that there are frequent delays and cancellations.

If you don't want to spend two days in Quebec City, another alternative would be to take a guided tour up to Jonquiere, Chicoutimi, and Saguenay. There may even be an excursion from the ship.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your wonderful input. We have decided to take the bus instead of the train as there are more buses going to Montreal than the train and we don't have to pre-book.

We have already booked our flight from Montreal to Vancouver on Oct 24th leaving at 18:00, so essentially we have about 2 days Oct 23/Oct 24 before we leave for home.

We were originally planning to leave Quebec in the early morning of Oct 23 but we can change our plans by spending Oct 23rd in Quebec, take a late bus and stay overnight in Montreal, spend Oct 24th in Montreal and leave for airport at 3 pm for our 6 pm flight.

Problem is where to leave our luggage - I googled and it appears that there are left luggage facilities at the bus station. Can a Quebec local please confirm this. Otherwise, we would have to rent a vehicle so we can take our luggage with us while we tour Quebec.

If we rent a vehicle for the day in Quebec, please suggest places to visit.

Another option is stay overnight in Quebec on Oct 23rd and leave for Montreal on Oct 24 to catch our fight back home?

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions.

I am petty sure ther are lockers, coin operated at the Gare du palais Terminal.

I actually go there quite often, so I will confirm this to you in a couple of days, and the size of the Lockers h x w x depth and cost. there might be another alternative also at the Bus operator. by checking your bag with them

early to hold, then you go pick it up before departure. I have done this before but I kinda know them, I'll check this out and get back to you. (as I said I go there very often so it isnt a problem looking into it)

Hi again,

I stopped in at the Gare du Palais station info as follows,

There are 36 large lockers 18" w x 24 " h x 36" deep.

there are also about 40 or more smaller ones but I'll forget about these.

The large ones cost 2 $ per 24 hr period.

they are at the end of the Bus terminal where a sign says: Consignee

Now if for some reason they are all booked or your bag just wont fit in one of these, You can go a tad further to Expedibus. (about a 30 second walk) where they ship and receive packages. for the same Bus company that you are travelling on, (there is only one bus operator in this whole complex so not to worry about mixing anything up) they will keep them for you at the same price, since the lockers are all full or if they are too large and don't fit. they will give you a receipt and you can pick them up before you leave on the Bus. However they close at 9 PM in that area.

One last note: It is very safe to leave your bags with the Expedibus area, they are good honest people and they will not loose them or anything like that. You could actually insure them if you wanted to but it really isnt necessary unless you really have somthing valubale in them, it is always an option you could consider if you wished to.

I have shipped and received things with this company Orleans express/ Expedibus for at least 20 years now on a weekly basis and never had a problem. If you are there during regular hour, and the lockers are full, Just ask for Suzie, at Expedibus, she is the Manager and speaks fluent english,

Most of the other there also speak quite well in english.

Have a great cruise and please do visit our pretty city!

I have passed through the Gare du Palais bus terminal several times and agree with the above regarding the relative ease of using the left luggage facilities there, either the self--service lockers or the attended package express counter. Unlike many intercity bus terminals in the United States, the Gare du Palais bus terminal is normally not an unpleasant place, and I've always experience courteous personnel and passengers there.

Wow - Thank you so much for looking into this info for me. It is a big relief to know that we can leave our luggage somewhere safe. This would actually work out well for us since we have decided to take the bus to Montreal.

Archived