Heathrow to Southampton transfer

jplotts865

We will be sailing on QV November 23 and will arrive a day ahead at Heathrow. I'm planning to take the train from LHR into the city and then the train from London directly to Southampton the morning we arrive with an overnight at the Grand Harbour hotel. Will it be difficult for me to handle our luggage at the airport and train stations? As long as I don't have to negotiate stairs with the bags I think I can manage. Terminal 5 must have escalators and be handicapped friendly?

On the other hand, is it possible to get a reasonably priced transfer from LHR directly to the hotel in Southampton? I do not require a luxury private car service. I am thinking it would be nice to just be met at LHR and then relax from that point on during a drive to Southampton without having to really deal with the bags. I'm in my mid-sixties and my aunt is in her eighties so I'm the designated "porter". Neither of us in infirm but I'll be in charge of the bags...so any advice or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

We will be sailing on QV November 23 and will arrive a day ahead at Heathrow. I'm planning to take the train from LHR into the city and then the train from London directly to Southampton the morning we arrive with an overnight at the Grand Harbour hotel. Will it be difficult for me to handle our luggage at the airport and train stations? As long as I don't have to negotiate stairs with the bags I think I can manage. Terminal 5 must have escalators and be handicapped friendly?

On the other hand, is it possible to get a reasonably priced transfer from LHR directly to the hotel in Southampton? I do not require a luxury private car service. I am thinking it would be nice to just be met at LHR and then relax from that point on during a drive to Southampton without having to really deal with the bags. I'm in my mid-sixties and my aunt is in her eighties so I'm the designated "porter". Neither of us in infirm but I'll be in charge of the bags...so any advice or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend smithsforairports.com. We used them last year from LHR to the DeVere and the round trip cost is very inexpensive as compared to the hassle of traveling into the city with luggage. Go to their website and email them for rates--it is much more relaxing and just a bit more expensive than the costs of both trains each way.

Thank you! I have e-mailed Smiths and am waiting for a quote. It will be one-way however as we have a return booked - this may affect the quote but I agree it may be worth the cost to avoid having to handle the bags myself.

Thank you! I have e-mailed Smiths and am waiting for a quote. It will be one-way however as we have a return booked - this may affect the quote but I agree it may be worth the cost to avoid having to handle the bags myself.

We did the trip last year both by Cunard Transport and by private car. Although the car was more expensive, it was well worth it. The driver was there as we came out of customs and took our bags to the car and unloaded them at the hotel, so we didn't have to worry about them at all. We had requested early check in at our hotel, and the room was ready, so we were very happy!

The coach worked out well also. We were met at customs, but then had to wait for an hour until everyone on their list had arrived, and just having flown all night I was more than ready for a shower and a nap. Still, they also loaded the bags on to the coach, and off again at the other end, and the coach was confortable. However, I think we would spend the extra money on car service next time.

Lesley

We did the trip last year both by Cunard Transport and by private car. Although the car was more expensive, it was well worth it. The driver was there as we came out of customs and took our bags to the car and unloaded them at the hotel, so we didn't have to worry about them at all. We had requested early check in at our hotel, and the room was ready, so we were very happy!

The coach worked out well also. We were met at customs, but then had to wait for an hour until everyone on their list had arrived, and just having flown all night I was more than ready for a shower and a nap. Still, they also loaded the bags on to the coach, and off again at the other end, and the coach was comfortable. However, I think we would spend the extra money on car service next time.

Lesley

Archived