Tipping on Excursions

jamiddl

Hello,

We are leaving on our first cruise in 3 weeks (eeeeeeee!). We have booked all but 1 excursion with independent people. I have been working on our budget and I was planning on having an envelope with the amount of each excursion fee so I would have to worry about getting change at the end of the excursion, etc. I was figuring in a 20% tip but then I got to thinking about it and I wasn't sure if that was a good idea. My questions are:

1) how much do you normally tip on an excursion (private or through Carnival) provided the service was normal?

2) Do you think it would be better to put the excursion fee in one envelope and the predetermined tip amount in another?

I was thinking that way it would be easier to adjust if necessary rather than trying to dig around in just one envelope. I'm probably way over thinking this I just want things to be easy when we get there. Thanks in advance!! :):)

I tipped $20 on a $25 excursion, but they did a awesome job and we did pay and extra $2 and $8 to go in some places .... I think you have to see what kind of job they do. Iv had one excursion I couldnt wait for it to be over, I tipped $0, just ran when they let me out, just didnt like them and was bored.

Hello,

We are leaving on our first cruise in 3 weeks (eeeeeeee!). We have booked all but 1 excursion with independent people. I have been working on our budget and I was planning on having an envelope with the amount of each excursion fee so I would have to worry about getting change at the end of the excursion, etc. I was figuring in a 20% tip but then I got to thinking about it and I wasn't sure if that was a good idea. My questions are:

1) how much do you normally tip on an excursion (private or through Carnival) provided the service was normal?

2) Do you think it would be better to put the excursion fee in one envelope and the predetermined tip amount in another?

I was thinking that way it would be easier to adjust if necessary rather than trying to dig around in just one envelope. I'm probably way over thinking this I just want things to be easy when we get there. Thanks in advance!! :):)

I set the money aside and kept it in the safe. I always had extra money with me and tipped according to my gut feel. I suppose you could put them together in the same envelope, but have the tip broken down into smaller amounts so you could adjust accordingly if you so chose.

Have fun on your cruise!

I think it all depends on the tour. Some issues affecting the tip may be: how good the tour operator was, and how many people are on the tour per guide.

A tip is for personal attention, so tours with a higher tourist-to-guide ration would get a lesser tip, all else being equal.

The price of the tour can also be a guideline for tips.

I usually bring all the money I need for tour and tip - just be careful that you have cash for anything you need during the tour which is not included.

We do all of our excursions with Carnival. There has only been one that I didn't give them a tip, and it was because of something I heard two of them saying to each other. I did lower the amount I was going to give on a tour of the glades, because of the look the guide gave to someone who didn't tip. Usually I will tip 5 - 10 dollars depending on what kind of tour and how long it is. My wife had gotten sick on a tour and because of one of the staff who stayed right with us and personally got her anything she wanted after our snorkel (food, drink anything). I did give him an extra $20. Base it on the service you get is the best way to do it.

Ok, thanks for the opinions! I think I will just make sure to have enough smaller bills and tip how I feel at the end.

I think that's a wise decision. When we went tubing on the White River in Jamaica, I had NO idea what was involved. The 3 guys that helped us on our excursion (it was a private one through Phil Lafayette tours) worked so hard and did such a good job I gave them a 50% tip. I didn't tip that much on another excursion... it's just a "feel thing" as we say.

Have a great time on your cruise and your excursions!

Bernard gives a great tour in St. Maarten for only $35.00. Actually it was only $30.00 the first time. We liked him so much we tipped $20.00 at the end each time. Maybe we were overtipping but felt he was worth it and the excursion was a great value.

Can you share a website or something? We have an Eastern on our list and I would like to save this for future reference.

Thanks in advance!

We have been to St . Martin about 5 times and did Bernard's tour the last time we were there. I wish we did his tour the first 4 times. He was great and gave great personal attention. At orient beach the water was a little rough that day. After walking up and down the beach we went to a restaurant / bar and sat with Bernard. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the island. He even let us sample some food and drink he had. The tour was so reasonable we tipped him $ 25.00 each. I think it is a feeling you get at the time. I always tip something but it depends on the experience. For the most part the people work hard to make sure your tour is a memorable and fun time. To me that is worth something.

Kevin

Archived