Trains from Civitavecchia to Rome

Parapara

I understand trains run from Civitavecchia to Rome every half hour. My questions are. How do you get from the ship to railway station? How much is a return ticket to Rome?

I have been talking to a friend who was in Rome last month and she has suggested getting the hop on hop off bus outside the railway station in Rome. It costs 19 euro and takes about 1 1/2 hours to do the circuit and it stops at places of interest and one of the buses travels past each stop at 15 minute intervals. Sounds like it may be the way for us go but I have this awful fear of missing the ship! We berth at 7 a.m. and leave at 7 p.m.

I understand trains run from Civitavecchia to Rome every half hour. My questions are. How do you get from the ship to railway station?
You will have a free shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance (walking is prohibited). From the port entrance you can taxi or walk (10 minutes) to the train station.
How much is a return ticket to Rome?
Depending on the type of ticket that you buy €6-9.

I have been talking to a friend who was in Rome last month and she has suggested getting the hop on hop off bus outside the railway station in Rome. It costs 19 euro and takes about 1 1/2 hours to do the circuit and it stops at places of interest and one of the buses travels past each stop at 15 minute intervals.Sounds like it may be the way for us go but I have this awful fear of missing the ship!

The train takes about 1.5 hrs, so leave Rome about 4 pm and you will be fine. The trains generally run on time. You will not be alone, there will be plenty of other cruisers on the train.
We berth at 7 a.m. and leave at 7 p.m.

Europe Port Reviews has a good description of how to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

Just a note that the photo captions and text all run together, so if the first line of text below or above the pictures sounds a little odd, that's the reason.

A CC member (GSPLover) has put together a very informative website on 'Trains in Italy for Cruise Passengers' which should be of help: http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

You will have a free shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance (walking is prohibited). From the port entrance you can taxi or walk (10 minutes) to the train station. Depending on the type of ticket that you buy €6-9. The train takes about 1.5 hrs, so leave Rome about 4 pm and you will be fine. The trains generally run on time. You will not be alone, there will be plenty of other cruisers on the train.

We just posted some info, links and photos of the train stations. We also used GSPlover info. Don't miss St. Clement church near the Colosseum. It was built in layers. The bottom level has a house from the 1st century. The BIRG ticket is only 9 Euros. Rome was the most affordable city and you can order some tickets in advance :D

You will have a free shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance (walking is prohibited). From the port entrance you can taxi or walk (10 minutes) to the train station. Depending on the type of ticket that you buy €6-9. The train takes about 1.5 hrs, so leave Rome about 4 pm and you will be fine. The trains generally run on time. You will not be alone, there will be plenty of other cruisers on the train.
Buy a BRIG ticket, it is a round-trip train ticket and good for all the Buses and Subways in Rome, its sold right the train station. http://www.kenandpene.com/ROME%20ON%20YOUR%20OWN.htm

We are planning our 2010 cruise. We were also interested in taking the train in and then doing the hop on hop off bus. Does anyone have experiences with the Hop on hop off bus in Rome.

Last October we had a day in Rome (pre-flight home). We had both been to Rome (12++ times) and thought that the HoHo bus might be an interesting way to spend the part of the day. We approached all of them near Termini and listened to the various sales pitches (like any new person in Rome would do). The Green line won.

The on-board dialog was good but kinda out of synch as to where you were. We got off at St Peters and figured that we would get on at the next stop. Well, the map they gave us was far from accurate (about 3-4 blocks off) and we ended up going back to the St Peters stop. We went around a full loop again and got off at one stop, planning to get on at the next. Never found the on/off signs for the green bus anywhere near where the map said it would be - we walked for blocks. Gave up any walked back to the hotel.

Another negative, the buses were nowhere near as frequent as they siad that they would be.

I have spoken to others since this, and the favorite seems to be the Red Line. Apparently their maps are accurate, and the buses more frequent.

Good way for an overview of Rome? Probably so if you stay on the top deck. If you are down below, forget it.

The BIRG is a transportation ticket (not a train ticket). As such, it is available at almost any newstand.

GSPLover,

Please advise if I would be able to buy the (Euro $9 ) BIRG ticket (for later use in Rome) when I am in Venice. Since I am doing a 3 days pre -cruise in Venice, I would like to buy all my train tickets in advance before my cruise starts.

All second class seating:

a. BIRG ticket Euro $9 for Civitavecchia to/from Rome

b. Livorno to/from Florence ( stop by Pisa) Euro $6.6 each way

I know that I can not buy the following route in advance:

I am a bit confused about which train station I need to go to & which train ticket to buy in Naples to go to Sorrento.

I have read that I need to go to the Circumvesuviana train station. This station is apparently closer to port than the Napoli-Garibaldi (stazione centrale f.s). Is Circumvesuviana train station called Napoli-Centro Direzionale ? I am having difficulties figuring out the train schedule for I do not see Napoli- Circumvesuviana as a station.

Thanks in advance.

truffles - it is my understanding (hopefully Susan-M or GPSLover can confirm...) that for the roundtrip Civitavecchia/Roma Termini BIRG ticket that is 9,00 Euros, you

a) need to get a Zone 5 ticket that covers Civitavecchia, hence why the ticket costs 9,00

b) can only be purchased in the Lazio region (ie can't be purchased in Venice)

I have seen on various posts that the port bus is free, but I have also heard that the cruise line charges for the bus to get you to the entrance to the port. Is there a bus run by the port authority that takes you from the ship to the entrance and back when you return from Rome, and is it free? Is there a schedule posted I can download?

When we arrived in Civi port, there were 3 cruise lines waiting for the port bus. There is no charge for the port buses either way. There is a long line to come back at the end of the day, so we took our time until the very last port bus arrived till about 6:40pm.

The BIRG covers the roundtrip from CIVI to Termini. Go to the link under GSPLover's signature and you'll find several web pages on the train schedules and info.

The web pages also include the info from Naples to Sorrento. It's a direct train which stops in Ercolano and Pompeii. On the way back to Naples, we took the Hydrofoil from Capri. For more info and pictures, check out our travel photos. :)

truffles - it is my understanding (hopefully Susan-M or GPSLover can confirm...) that for the roundtrip Civitavecchia/Roma Termini BIRG ticket that is 9,00 Euros, you

a) need to get a Zone 5 ticket that covers Civitavecchia, hence why the ticket costs 9,00

b) can only be purchased in the Lazio region (ie can't be purchased in Venice)

You have it correct!

GSPLover,

Please advise if I would be able to buy the (Euro $9 ) BIRG ticket (for later use in Rome) when I am in Venice. Since I am doing a 3 days pre -cruise in Venice, I would like to buy all my train tickets in advance before my cruise starts.

All second class seating:

a. BIRG ticket Euro $9 for Civitavecchia to/from Rome

b. Livorno to/from Florence ( stop by Pisa) Euro $6.6 each way

I know that I can not buy the following route in advance:

I am a bit confused about which train station I need to go to & which train ticket to buy in Naples to go to Sorrento.

I have read that I need to go to the Circumvesuviana train station. This station is apparently closer to port than the Napoli-Garibaldi (stazione centrale f.s). Is Circumvesuviana train station called Napoli-Centro Direzionale ? I am having difficulties figuring out the train schedule for I do not see Napoli- Circumvesuviana as a station.

Thanks in advance.

(1) The BIRG ticket for Rome must be bought in the Lazio region (cannot be purchased in Venice). Price you mentioned sounds about right; haven't rechecked prices in a few weeks.

(2) Livorno to Firenze - Again, I haven't checked prices in a few weeks. They don't change that often.

(3) Naples: We went to the Napoli-Garibaldi (stazione centrale f.s) because it was easier by bus. The Circumvesuviana station is actually downstairs. There are many signs - it is well marked. You will not be able to purchase Circumvesuviana tickets until you get to Napoli.

(4) All the routes that you mention are local (regionale) trains and tickets are readily available. Be advised, a ticket does not guarantee you a seat - just the right of passage! You could end up standing (had it happen on a trip from Pisa to Roma - stood the entire way (all 4.25 hrs).

(1) The BIRG ticket for Rome must be bought in the Lazio region (cannot be purchased in Venice). Price you mentioned sounds about right; haven't rechecked prices in a few weeks.

(2) Livorno to Firenze - Again, I haven't checked prices in a few weeks. They don't change that often.

(3) Naples: We went to the Napoli-Garibaldi (stazione centrale f.s) because it was easier by bus. The Circumvesuviana station is actually downstairs. There are many signs - it is well marked. You will not be able to purchase Circumvesuviana tickets until you get to Napoli.

(4) All the routes that you mention are local (regionale) trains and tickets are readily available. Be advised, a ticket does not guarantee you a seat - just the right of passage! You could end up standing (had it happen on a trip from Pisa to Roma - stood the entire way (all 4.25 hrs).

Thanks again !

Archived