Can we bring alcohol on board?

momsbusy

We are sailing Carnival out of San Juan soon, I was wondering if I can bring alcohol on board to enjoy in the room. Whats the best way to do that? Do we buy it at the pier? If its in our carry ons, won't security see it on the scanner and take it away?

Reading these boards, you will find all sorts of ways to bring alcohol on the ship...whether you do that or not is up to you. However, Carnival "allows" you to bring one bottle of wine or champagne aboard. If you consume it in your cabin there is no charge, if you bring it to the dining room there is a $10.00 corkage fee, $14.00 fee in the supper club.

San Juan is different than the other embark ports.

After you check in, you'll go upstairs. There you will find a liquor store. There will be a cart to sample free shots. After you're all liquored up, go in the store and buy what you want.

Don't be blatant about carrying it on (put it in your carry on) and you'll have no problems.

We carried on about 8 fifths and nobody batted an eye.

We are sailing Carnival out of San Juan soon, I was wondering if I can bring alcohol on board to enjoy in the room. Whats the best way to do that? Do we buy it at the pier? If its in our carry ons, won't security see it on the scanner and take it away?

Go to Carnival's website,scroll down to the bottom and click on "Frequently asked questions". You'll find the policy there. You'll note that each adult over 21 can bring ONE bottle of wine or champagne and other alchoholic beverages are not permitted. If found, it will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

So, it's up to you......

San Juan is different than the other embark ports.

After you check in, you'll go upstairs. There you will find a liquor store. There will be a cart to sample free shots. After you're all liquored up, go in the store and buy what you want.

Don't be blatant about carrying it on (put it in your carry on) and you'll have no problems.

We carried on about 8 fifths and nobody batted an eye.

That is a funny set-up there. You go through security first for the port then you can buy things on the second level. All Carnival is doing is welcoming you onboard after that. Funny set-up....

Many people I know have done the same thing there and never a problem.

Carnival is pretty lax about smuggling but I bought some rum-runners and they work just great....before that I packed it in plastic bottles and then inside a ziplock bag...roll it up in t-shirts in the middle of you checked luggage and it will arrive un-harmed..Dennis

I agree with the PP regarding San Juan. We went to the liquor store after checking in and dropped a couple of bottles in our carry on. Went through the x-ray without a problem. After we get settled into our rooms, we went out to explore Old San Juan. Came back, stopped at the liquor store again and this time put a couple of bottles into a purse and a pants pocket, with the shirt covering the pocket where the bottle stuck out. Back through X-Ray and nobody said a thing.

They did tell us in the liquor store that 3 or fewer is not a problem; more than three (at the same time, I guess) might be.

This is a very extensive website, you need to do a bit of exploring. For instance, under Cruise discussion topics is this choice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

You can also get a lot of information about your cruise and ports by visiting the Ports of Call area, and joining your roll call. People on your roll call will be having heated discussions about tours and excursions, as well as pre- and post-cruise transfers. EM

Archived