Packing Your Favorites

Hi Ladies. It's been a while since I've had a new thread so first I just want to say a quick hello!

Anyway, I was talking to a man at work the other day about his upcoming cruise & packing habits, etc. He then changed into his gym clothes when he was leaving the office & goes, "See this is my cruisewear... shorts & a tshirt as much as possible. I change for dinner & then I'm back into my shorts & tshirt."

I thought this was funny because it seems that women always pack their favorites (as I do), and men just want to be comfortable. I know this is not the case with all men but just thought it was funny the differences between men & women in certain situations. Just wanted to share my thought with you all.

With that being said, do most of you bring your favorite outfits, shoes, purses when you are going on a cruise?

I like to shop ;), so I tend to buy new clothes for cruises and trips. There are times when I'll have all my clothes laid out to pack and then realize that there are so many other, older things that I want to bring along!

I do take my favourite shoes because I know they fit and are comfortable, and have a few other pieces that have been seen on every trip (a certain black full-length dress for example - I'm so sick of seeing it in pictures!!!).

Now for short cruises or weekend trips I always take my favourites --- dresses, skirts, shorts, tops, purses.

But in general I tend to wear my favourites over and over again. One of my goals for the next couple of weeks is to clean out my closet and I'm going to try that "turn the hanger backward" trick to see what hasn't been worn for a long time.

I always bring my favorite clothing when I cruise, along with some new things - isn't it fun to shop for cruisewear?:D Formal nights however always mean new dresses for me, I don't know why but once I have worn a formal dress/gown, it's just not fun to wear anymore. And the formal nights are the only time I get to really get dressed up. That being said, I'm really looking forward to our next cruise on Oceania and the everynight country club casual dress code.

Well, all my clothes are my favorites or else I would not have purchased them. All my clothing is comfortable since I only buy clothing that fits.

My work is casual, jeans in the winter, shorts in the summer, with assorted tops in a multitude of colors and prints....and I refuse to wear my work clothes on the weekends or on vacation.

I have a couple pair of nicer shorts, nicer tops and dresses or capri outfits that I wear on weekends. I don't buy "cruise clothes", I just select from what I already have. I tend to keep it simple so I don't have to pack so much.

Since I usually wear jeans and t-shirts at home. I like to really dress up on a cruise. I do over pack when I cruise only because, "Sometimes a girl changes her mind". I may think I want that great pair of trousers with a sophisticated top and heels, but then change my mind and decide to wear the floral halter dress and strappy sandal for the mood I'm in. Love the pre-cruise shopping. It's just one more thing to help me count down the days.

Hi, ILMP, my daughter has 2 puggles - one black and one champagne color.

I love your post. I like to plan my clothes way in advance and sometimes buy something and hang it up on the "packing" door. Most of my cruise clothes are only for the cruise, so it's easy to keep those separate.

And I DO have favorites. Too many of them!

I usually do pack some of my favorite clothes, but I also try to be comfortable, especially on travel days. Since DH and I love to snorkel, we end up in bathing suits a lot, so my outfits are usually things that can be thrown over a bathing suit and dry quickly.

I do like to get dressed up for dinner, so I always bring my nicest clothes.

As we cruise just once a year, I like to freshen up the cruise wardrobe for each cruise. It adds a bit more excitment. When it comes to packing time, I spend a day or two deciding what to take from the previous year's favourites.

For me dressing up for dinner, and especially the formals, is definitely a cruise highlight.

A good post...thanks.

Anna

Hi, ILMP, my daughter has 2 puggles - one black and one champagne color.

I love your post. I like to plan my clothes way in advance and sometimes buy something and hang it up on the "packing" door. Most of my cruise clothes are only for the cruise, so it's easy to keep those separate.

And I DO have favorites. Too many of them!

Moondawgie- I have 2 puggles too! One black & the other one in my picture. I only had one when I registered as "puggle". They are handfuls, but I love them.

Back to cruising favs, I think it's interesting that many people have a cruise-only wardrobe. I always envy those people that have specific cruising clothes, but I do like to buy new items for new trips. I'm starting to build on my "travel-wear" that doesn't wrinkle, etc. but I don't think that will stop me from getting new stuff for vacation. :)

Since I only wear "favorite" clothes, that's what I bring! If I don't like something, why would I wear it?

I get what you're saying about only wearing things you love. BUT, sometimes I go shopping and need new work clothes and just come home with items that will do but are not my favorites. I can't always find favorites.. Is there a trick that I'm not aware of? I go shopping so often & come home with nothing BC Im not crazy about what's in stores. I did have a successful shopping weekend. If I can find what I bought online, I'll post it. Anyway, how do you find all those favorites?

Where to you get your travel-wear? Are you referring to the slinky type material one can get at Coldwater Creek? I hve a few of the capri outfits for summer...and I pack with some cute sandals, and sometimes wear them in the evenings for dinner. I have never felt out of place as they are more dressy than casual I feel. Pair it up with some bold, chunky jewelery and no one can complain!

We are going on our first cruise in August. We are traveling with another couple who cruises quite a bit so they have let me know what to expect, what to buy, etc.

Since this is my first cruise I have been shopping;) mainly at Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls and JC Penney. While I love comfort I really want to look good, evenings especially. I know I will not be as comfortable in formal wear but I want to look good and have a great time, something to remember. We bought a tux for the hubby at Penney's also on clearance and he looks so sharp, not comfortable but really handsome:D I am going to wear a pretty new dress each night - yes I splurged a little but overall I only spent $150 on 5 new dresses, $10 on new shoes, $10 on costume jewelry.

Now during the day, I will be in my old bathingsuits, basic coverups, shorts t-shirts, workout wear and just being comfortable. I will be one of the more mature women looking like a fool on the flowrider - but I gotta try it.

I don't always pack my favorite items. Due to the airlines now charging for luggage I try to limit my packing to what I will be wearing. On our first cruise I overpacked and didn't wear half of what I took with. That being said, I do usually buy a few new items for each cruise.

Archived