Christmas Cruise to South America

calenita

Thinking of doing a Christmas cruise. DD is 14 and in Grade 9 so taking her out of school for 10 days as we have been doing will be more complicated and I just don't want to until we see how high school is for her. So cruising during the school break is it. I received a legacy from a death in the family and am thinking of doing a cruise for the family with this money. The south America one has always interested me but the flights are SCARY expensive on top of the cruise costs airport fees etc etc but now with this unexpected gift it would be a nice thing for the family I think. Anyway, the children are 14, 13 and 9. The 9 year old is hesitant about Christmas and Santa finding us and the 14 year old wanted to know when we would get our presents - I said the cruise is our present!!!!! The 13 year old rolls with the punches. Anyway - any thoughts? Or as, DH says, are we spoiling them too much? We've been on a cruise to the Caribbean with them and to Europe last fall. I figure they will soon be gone on their own and it is nice to have fun together while we can.

Thanks all.

I don't mean this to sound negative, truly I don't. I mean these as honest questions.

You mention that a South America cruise has always interested you, which is great. But does it interest your DH and children? I'd hate for you to spend so much money if they really aren't interested or don't care about what you plan. You're right about those flights:eek: and the other costs will no doubt add up, especially if you do any other presents for the children. If your children are ho-hum about the cruise or aren't interested in seeing South America, then you might end up resenting not just the monetary costs, but the time and effort you put into arranging the trip.

Only you and your DH can decide if you're spoiling your children too much. It's a pretty individual thing. IMO, children who are spoiled expect everything in life to be given to them and have fits or get upset if they don't get what they want, they expect to always have their way, they expect their parents to hand over money or buy them whatever they want, and they show little or no appreciation for all they have and for what their parents do for them. If your children are not like that, then (again IMO) I wouldn't consider them spoiled. Do you feel they appreciate what you do for them? Do you all have good family time when you cruise? Are they enthusiastic about helping plan activities? Do they enjoy time together as siblings (at least as much as siblings tend to do at those ages)? Will they be happy with a cruise as their Christmas present or might they (or at least your 14-y/o DD) be unhappy and perhaps pout about it, making the trip less enjoyable?

I think what you want to do is wonderful. Just make sure that it's something the whole family will enjoy. If not, then you might want to delay a South America cruise until they are older.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time.

beachchick

In my opinion, you can't spoil children by spending time together on a great adventure. Keep in mind I'm also the one taking my twins to the Eastern Med for their 5th birthday, but I've learned that those times together are priceless. Many of my fondest memories are the cruises my family took together when I was young.

Also, I live in an area where some kids think it's a tragedy if they don't have the latest game system or designer bag. I think the perspective gained from travelling (outside of amusement parks and resorts) can help keep my kids from being spoiled. My girls are seeing lots of different places and that there are all kinds of people living all kinds of different lives. We also always bring some of our toys to "share" (give) to less fortunate kids we come across on shore.

I have continued a tradition that my husband and I started, we never gave each other presents, but put all the money aside for travel. My girls don't get birthday presents, they get a trip. (They do get Christmas presents, but then put aside their old toys to give to kids who aren't as lucky as we are.) If you ask my twins what they're getting for their 5th birthday, they say "Barcelona!".

As for itinerary, I know my girls have become enthusiastic about our trip because I am enthusiastic and we're sharing the excitment of choosing what we'll see together by watching related travel shows, looking at pictures online and in books, etc.

Have a great time, whatever you choose!

Best,

Mia

I have seen some amazing deals on South America sailings, even over the holidays, that might make your costs not quite as high. Last winter, those sailings were going for much less than $100/night on many cruise lines, and there were quite a few air-included offers I saw.

I would LOVE to take my son to South America, just as soon as he's old enough for us all to survive the loooooong flight. But, I would agree that if the family isn't excited about it, maybe it's not worth the long flight/costs. I do think maybe helping them envision what the trip would be like (i.e., the kinds of excursions you'd be doing) might help them get excited. Remind the 14-year-old that it'll be summer down there--who gets to come back from Christmas Break with a tan? Get the 9-year-old excited about penguins. That sort of thing.

Archived