Downtown Anchorage Restaurants

loves2cruz

We will be staying one night pre-cruise before heading over to Whittier in the morning on the railroad. We arrive at around 6:30 p.m. from the east cost. We were wondering if anyone could recommend any must dine at local finds. We enjoy restuarants with local flavor, not necessarily fancy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We went to Simon and Seaforts (very classy) our 1st night in Anchorage a couple weeks ago. The view of Cook Inlet made it fantastic. We decided to eat in the bar area instead of waiting for a table. That was the best move... Great views with huge windows....lots of local young people at the bar. There were tables you could sit at and several free standing bars to sit at. We ordered the halibut and chips (appetizer portion), and it was out of this world.The portion was a good dinner size for me.The regular menu was a little pricey, but they offered early bird specials if you ate by 5:00 (or 5:30, I believe). We had walked by Glacier Brewhouse earlier, but it looked more secluded. Don't even recall seeing many, if any, windows. I've read great reviews, but I wanted a view our 1st night.... So glad we decided to walk on to Simon and Seaforts. Another night we ate at Humpy's (more of the local's choice...very busy) on their outdoor patio (very nice with hanging baskets). I didn't care for the interior....very,very dark and too loud with the music. It was hard to hear conversations....outside was much better, but a little cool. You needed to eat with a light jacket on, although some local gals were out there in sleeveless. I think I noticed a few goosebumps on their arms as the evening worn on. I got the same as the night before at Simon's....halibut and chips. Love that dish. However, I was disappointed this time....way too greasy and almost an "old oil" taste to it. Probably should have sent it back but didn't want to wait. Also got their chowder. Now that was really good. If you love pizza, try Moose's Tooth....the best ever. Hard to believe you have to go to Alaska to get great pizza. I had eatten there our last trip several years ago though. If you're in Girdwood ( 45 min. south of Anchorage) do stop in at the Bake Shop. Their rolls and soup are fabulous as well as their sandwiches. Of course their huge cinnamon buns smelled so good. I didn't get one and now regret it. Should have gotten it to go. Hope this helps you decide.

Thank you for your suggestions. A view would be nice. We are arriving at 6:30 p.m. from the east coast so I am not sure if we will be up for an expensive meal. Maybe if we catch a nap on the plane we'll be good.

Do you have any suggestions for something more moderate? Last year we ate at the Moose's Tooth. We had terriffic pizza. This year we are staying downtown by the Sheraton so I would hope to find someplace we could walk to.

We ate at the Snow Goose restaurant at Sleeping Lady Brewery. It's just a short walk from Glacier Brewery at the top of the hill above the railroad depot. The food was good, ranging from about $10 to $30, with the low end being more sandwich and fries type of meal. The owner has made some beautiful quilts which decorate the restaurant.

Here is another vote for the Glacier Brewhouse. A suggestion: make reservations. We were there on a Sunday night and had reservations for 7 PM. We were seated right away...to the chagrin of the folks who had walked in before us and were informed of the two hour wait! We also enjoyed Moose's Tooth. I was less impressed with Snow Goose, but may have had an off night.

We are arriving in Anchorage @6:15 next week to begin our Princess "cruisetour". We will be staying at the Capt. Hook. I have made reservations at the Brewhouse for 8:30.....hope that works out for us!!It was a had decision to make...lots of choices!!

The way I look at it is this... I will have been on a plane for 6.5 hrs. with nothing more than a sandwich.....sooo, that being said, not to mention that the walk will do us good!!!

I don't sit very well so you can imagine what sitting for 6.5 is going to do to me! YIKES!!!!!!

The locals would recommend CLUB PARIS right downtown. It's in an old building that survived the earthquake, locally owned, award winning food. It looks like a dive but the food & service are so good that reservations are recommended. Steaks & specials of the day are the best in Anchorage.

We will be staying at the Capt. Hook.

:) Love it. If you hear an alarm clock, run!

(Captain Cook.)

The locals would recommend CLUB PARIS right downtown. It's in an old building that survived the earthquake, locally owned, award winning food. It looks like a dive but the food & service are so good that reservations are recommended. Steaks & specials of the day are the best in Anchorage.
Club Paris is indeed great, one of those "I'll have a New York steak and a flashlight" places.

I think Simon's is a good choice, and also think eating in the bar is the best route. Remember, beer is food too.

I would have to agree with Cybercsp... We just returned from Alaska and had done the same thing you are doing! We traveled from Florida to Anchorage and after a 7 hour + flight we where tired, but needed to walk and move, plus get some really food! We had made reservations at the Glacier Brewhouse and it worked great. You can go to there web site and book a reservation there through (opentable.com) We walked right in with 6 of us.. felt good not to worry about where to go, or having a wait! Hope you have a great time!

The locals would recommend CLUB PARIS right downtown.

oui, club paris.

but i'm already stuffed to the gills with healthy seafood at home and for a treat i want meat, red meat.

cookouts here are the same, there's always going to be fish. and more fish. and more fish at the next cookout. but when someone whips out hamburgers!! woohoo!! a rare delicacy.

Another vote for Glacier Brewhouse. It will be a bit louder than Orso. Orso is abit pricier but worth it. Great staff at both spots. Our son and DL live in Anchorage and we go when in town. Also might want to try Arctic Roadrunner. Casual and great burgers. Not far from downtown on Old Seward Hwy. Good outdoor dining. Another favorite is casual also. The Peanut Farm also on Old Seward. Both have creekside dining.

Glacier Brewhouse would be my recommendation but reservations a must!! Are you sure you are going to want to dine out--you will be arriving in Anchorage at 1 am your time!!!

On my first trip to Anchorage, the group I was meeting invited me to join them for dinner at 8pm (about 2a.m. my time). After some hesitation, I decided to go along and was I happy I had done so. The extra hours of daylight made it seem much earlier than it was and I was still able to get a good night's sleep and awaken the next morning much better adjusted to the time difference than had I gone to bed shortly after arriving.

Go for it. After that six and a half hours on a plane, you will enjoy being out and about and enjoying a good meal before you retire for the evening.:)

I am excited, on all the recommendations here, I made reservations for Thursday evening.

Any dish in specific people really recommend? I noticed they have blueberry beer - any chance that is in season? I am curious to try it.

another dining question. who's open late? we will be touching down at 10pm and i figure we'll be lucky to clear the airport by 11. what can we get that resembles real (or even not so real) food at that time?

another dining question. who's open late? we will be touching down at 10pm and i figure we'll be lucky to clear the airport by 11. what can we get that resembles real (or even not so real) food at that time?

I just looked at hours for places downtown like Humpy's, Glacier Brewhouse, Orso's, Rumrunner's, Simon & Seafort's and all of them either close their kitchens at 10 or 11 p.m. According to where you're staying I know that the Captain Cook, Hilton, etc., should have at least one of their places open.

Susan in Anchorage :)

is there even like, mcdonald's or something? or a late night grocery? i'd do room service as a last resort, but likely will be in a place that doen't have it. i think i'm trying priceline in the next few days. what i'd really like to get is some fresh fruit and a costco chicken, but not possible at that hour.

so, how much is a chicken at costco in alaska? i know in hawaii it was the same as here - $4.99.

Archived