Carnival Legend Review 6/28-7/5 (Lots of Pics!)

Thanks for the nice comments about your cruise.

I keep hearing Tampa is a nice place to depart...not sure why the cruise lines don't have more ships leave from there as Tampa has a very modern & easy to use airport & hwy system for ppl to go in & out.

I was waffling between CCL vs RCL but @ $300/pp cheaper than RCL for the same itinerary & room & cheaper flight to TPA, well it was a no brainer.

Plus - we are active folks so whether we like the interior decor of CCL is not a determinant in this case. The ports & pool is all we care about.

Cheers.

My understanding of why more ships don't use this port is the skyway bridge. A lot of ships are to big for this bridge.

Linda

Belize : We woke up around 6AM, had breakfast in the Unicorn Cafe, then went to the Follie's Lounge to wait on a tender. They were a little late about getting cleared but not too late. This was the only day we had decided to do a excursion through Carnival. We were on some of the first tenders that left. Our tour was called Altun Ha & River Wallace. I think they said it was over 160 people on this tour. After the LONG tender ride we got off and followed somebody with a sign. They told us to go to the bathroom since we would be doing the River Wallce first and it would take around an hour and a half. I thought it would be really crowded but they split us up in different boats and it was bad at all. They gave us lifejackets and provided one bottle of water for everybody. We had been riding for just a few minutes when we stopped and our tourguide introduced himself and gave us some interesting facts about Belize City. He pointed out a few buildings and told us a little about Belize.

Cruise2009261.jpg

Cruise2009262.jpg

Cruise2009263.jpg

Cruise2009267.jpg

Cruise2009271.jpg

As we entered the River Wallace we stopped to look for manatees. A few people thought they seen one but I never did. The whole river tour took a little over an hour and a half. Our guide (Bull) pointed out all kinds of fruit trees and plants. The first animals we saw were huge iguanas laying in trees. We also seen two crocs, birds, bats, and howler monkeys. We passed alot of houses and a gas station. Bull gave us alot of information on everything we saw. We finally stopped at the Black Orchid Hotel so that we could get some lunch.

Cruise2009277.jpg

Cruise2009281.jpg

Cruise2009282.jpg

Cruise2009285.jpg

Cruise2009291.jpg

*Can you see the iguana?*

Cruise2009289.jpg

When we got the Black Orchid Hotel there were a few howler monkeys in a tree right where we got off the boat. After a few pictures we made our way to the restraunt to get something to eat. I had the chicken quesidilla, while Mom & Dad had the baked chicken. Everything was good. There were a few people set up outside selling stuff that they had made. Mom bought some earrings & I bought a blowfish piggybank made out of a coconut.

Cruise2009309.jpg

*Part of the hotel.*

Cruise2009310.jpg

Cruise2009312.jpg

*Where we had lunch.*

Cruise2009313.jpg

*When we were leaving the hotel.</b>

Cruise2009314.jpg

*A gas station.*

Cruise2009317.jpg

*A police officer.*

After all of that we boarded a very nice bus for the ride to Altun Ha. The ride was about 45 minutes and was very interesting. Bull talked the whole time and gave us alot of information about Altun Ha and Mayans.

Altun Ha : I loved visiting the ruins. Bull took us around to most of them and told us all kinds of interesting stuff. We were running a little behind on schedule so we didn't really get a chance to explore them on our own. He took everyone who wanted to go to climb the biggest ruin. While on top he told us more about them and we got some pretty good pictures. After this we headed back to the bus for the long ride back into Belize City. When we got off there was alot of people selling stuff but we had to hurry and get back to the tender. I think we were actually the LAST people on the LAST tender.

Cruise2009331.jpg

Cruise2009320.jpg

Cruise2009321.jpg

Cruise2009327.jpg

Cruise2009329.jpg

Cruise2009335.jpg

Belize : I really enjoyed this tour. Even though we didn't see as many animals as we would have liked, we still seen quite a few. Not only did we get to go down the River Wallace, but we got to see the ruins at Altun Ha. We also got to see alot of Belize during our bus ride and at the end we even went through Belize City. Our guide was GREAT. He told us that he was Mayan and he knew so much about them. Some people said they thought he gave a little too much information, but I thought that it was great that he talked the whole time and shared all of it with us.

A few more pictures from the top of the largest ruin. . .

Cruise2009338.jpg

Cruise2009342.jpg

Cruise2009348.jpg

That night we ate on the Lido deck. Afterwards we decided to play Bingo, which was fun, but we didn't win anything. We watched a little of the show (Jerome Dabhey, i think) a motown singer.

Cruise2009367.jpg

Cruise2009362.jpg

Cruise2009370.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am SO sorry that I haven't had time to finish this review! BUT ive been thinking about cruises so I decided to get on here and try to finish it! My parent's decided to go on ANOTHER cruise for their anniversary. They left out yesterday and will be on the Carnival Fantasy for five days. & I am stuck at home : ( So what better time to reminisce about the cruise we were on in July !

I couldn't NOT finish this, because I def. want everyone to know about our last days on our cruise.

I believe that the last thing I wrote was about Belize. The next day was Roatan. I was VERY unsure about what to do at this port because I had seen a lot of mixed reviews.

We woke up around 6am, went to breakfast, and watched Roatan come into sight. It was a beautiful sight. After we got off the ship we walked around looking for our tour. We had booked with Fins & Flippers through their website and was told that somebody would meet us to take us there. We found their stand and a guy walked us to the gates where another guy met us to walk us to the ferry. Inside the gates are a few shops and a few people set up selling stuff. Outside of the gates there were ALOT of people selling stuff and trying to get you to buy their stuff. I have heard of alot of people complaining about this but if you just say no thank you then they will leavey you alone. It was about a 5 minute walk to the ferry (it was just us and our guide). There was another guy on the ferry to take us to the island. We waited a few minutes because there was another couple on their way. The ferry ride was very short and as soon as we stopped at the island we had a pretty good view of our ship. The guy on our ferry gave us a little info about the island then we sat out to check in.

Cruise2009373.jpg

*Coming into Roatan.*

Cruise2009378.jpg

*Shops.*

Cruise2009377.jpg

*These people danced all day. They were taking pictures with some other tourists.

Fins and Flippers is AMAZING. I highly recommend this place to anybody who visits Roatan. They have a gift shop where they have all kinds of souvenirs and they also have snorkle equipment and life vests that you can rent. They have a bar with snacks and drinks, a big place full of tables and chairs for you to eat, and a pool. We walked around a little while and seen all of the animals that they have. It was like a small zoo. They had monkeys, jaguars, lepords, lemers, and all kinds of tropical birds. The beach is beautiful. There are alot of beach chairs for you to relax and there is a small pier, which has snorkeling at the end. I got in the water just a little bit but there was ALOT of seaweed. You have to go a little futher out to get past it. We got our snorkel equipment and walked to the end of the pier. I could have snorkeled all day! The coral is amazing and we seen all kinds of fish and even a squid. They had a rope trail underwater that you are supposed to follow and there was a man in a kayak out in the water just in case anything happened or anybody needed help. I have only snorkeled in a few places but I heard a man who was a professional diver say that this coral was some of the best that he had ever seen.

Cruise2009386.jpg

Cruise2009389.jpg

Cruise2009391.jpg

Cruise2009406.jpg

Cruise2009418.jpg

Good afternoon from the Ripley area.

Love your review and pics. We are going on the Valor in Dec and we cannot wait. Reading reviews gives me something to look forward to on our cruise. :D

Also, Happy belated birthday and anniversary. :D

Morning neighbor (Memphis here!)

Great review so far!! Can't wait to read the rest of it!!!

Grand Cayman - I LOVED GC. I would love to go back there. The only problem I had was that there wasn't enough time to do everything we would have liked. I strongly recommend Nativeway to anybody who wants to try a tour that isn't through Carnival. We were a little worried about booking through somebody else, because this was our first cruise. BUT Nativeway was awesome. This was the best tour that we took on the cruise. Thomas and Moses were nice, helpful, and were just really great people. Also, even though we would have liked to spend weeks on the island, I feel that this tour has alot to offer. You get to swim with the stingrays, snorkle at a reef, eat a nice lunch, and have time on Rum Point Beach.

Was it easy getting in and out of the boat? :confused:

J&DrCruisin : Thanks for the comments! I have alot of family who live in the Ripley area : ) Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

ACD5 : Yes, alot easier than expected. I had read somewhere that they didn't have a ladder to get out on when you were getting into the water, but it did.

PinkJellyFish.....GREAT REVIEW! WONDERFUL PICTURES! We are sailing on the Legend in January, and can't wait to see what you saw. We wont be doing the exact excursions, but you get the idea. Thank you so much. I will definitely keep this review close. Marshhawk:)

Archived