Sydney Nova Scotia - Recommendations on tours

Not enogh time for both I'm sad to say. The mileage between may be short as the

Crow flies but it's rural driving. I would pick Louisbourg as well. There was something new every time. If you have a private driver ask him to take you to Kennington Cove It's about 10 minutes West of Louisbourg and my favourite beach in the whole world. Gorgeous.

I just checked my notes and found only one mention of there being taxis at the pier and this person said they were all taken by the time they got off the ship. There is information at the pier but the best things for this stop are a drive away: Louisbourg, Baddeck or a bit of the Cabot Trail.

Check out these threads:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k4847897-Tours_from_Cruise_Ships_at_Sydney_Port-Nova_Scotia.html#36180250

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=828325&page=4%22

I will echo this and just say YES...car rental in Sidney is time consuming. The rental "office" is miles away and on our day there was only about 2-3 clerks working to check out cars. Count on an hour each way on the rental process.

How hilly is Sydney? Bird Island? Scottish Highland Village? I'm trying to decide on a tour. We both have some mobility issues, in that we can walk a mile or two at a stretch over fairly even surfaces or slight grades, but have problems with hills.

I posted this in another thread also, so no need to answer both. I had't looked far enough to see that there was a thread specific to Sydney.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there;

Sydney is my home town. If you stay downtown you will not have many problems. The boardwalk along Sydney harbour is fairly flat and accessible. If you leave downtown you will have some problems as there are very steep hills.

I will echo this and just say YES...car rental in Sidney is time consuming. The rental "office" is miles away and on our day there was only about 2-3 clerks working to check out cars. Count on an hour each way on the rental process.

The farthest office is only two miles away. Checking out a car takes a maximum of 5 minutes once you arrive. If you're that pressed for time - either fill out your information on your reservation online so the clerk doesn't have to, or sign up for the rental company's fast break program which allows you to literally walk in and be handed your keys - no signing of paperwork.

• 3 weeks later...
I did hear back from Don and we are booked with him to take in some of the Cabot Trail scenery.

Can you please tell me what you did with him what the price was and what kind of vehicles he had i am looking for vans for 6 paasengers. BTW what date did you go with him....

Can you please tell me what you did with him what the price was and what kind of vehicles he had i am looking for vans for 6 passengers. BTW what date did you go with him....

6 Adults went in his passenger van that will hold 6 passengers. The 3 of us ladies sat in the back row and it was cozy.We went on May 21/13 and drove from Sydney along the Cabot trail to Ingonish and back. Stopped for lunch but otherwise only a couple of short stops for pictures. Most things along the way including the usual restaurant Don uses were not yet open for the season. We actually didn't find the scenery to be as nice as our west coast scenery. Cost per person for up to 4 adults is $80; cost per person for 5 or 6 people is $75.

The farthest office is only two miles away. Checking out a car takes a maximum of 5 minutes once you arrive. If you're that pressed for time - either fill out your information on your reservation online so the clerk doesn't have to, or sign up for the rental company's fast break program which allows you to literally walk in and be handed your keys - no signing of paperwork.

Reservation info online was not available when we went. The office may only be physically located 5 miles away but it was through downtown traffic and it took quite awhile to get there. There were 2 clerks in the rental office and they were soon swamped.

To me the part of the Cabot Trail from Sydney up to Ingonish is far from the best part. Now if you rent a car and do not take time for a long lunch you can go past Ingonish to Neil's Harbour. That is a scenic stretch.

Just checked the transit bus fare & miner's museum info. The bus looks like it will be $5 pp to get from Sydney to Glace Bay. Miner's Museum is $6 for the museum & then $6 for the underground. So I'm thinking that bus transit to & from plus musuem/mine will be $22pp. A good deal compared to ship excursions.

So do we need exact change for the bus?? Can we use U.S.? anyone know?

6 Adults went in his passenger van that will hold 6 passengers. The 3 of us ladies sat in the back row and it was cozy.We went on May 21/13 and drove from Sydney along the Cabot trail to Ingonish and back. Stopped for lunch but otherwise only a couple of short stops for pictures. Most things along the way including the usual restaurant Don uses were not yet open for the season. We actually didn't find the scenery to be as nice as our west coast scenery. Cost per person for up to 4 adults is $80; cost per person for 5 or 6 people is $75.

Just a quick question i have can you remember if the vans they used has the business name on the vehicles sides ? Its just easier to look for them from the ship is all...:confused:

Just a quick question i have can you remember if the vans they used has the business name on the vehicles sides ? Its just easier to look for them from the ship is all...:confused:

I don't believe the vans had any signage but it was not a problem. This is a small port, the ship docks right alongside the pier, and Don advised us he would be wearing a red jacket at the huge fiddle statue located on the pier. There was no way for us to miss him. He had also arranged for another driver in another van for another group who took the same route as us. That driver was also there in a red jacket.

Just checked the transit bus fare & miner's museum info. The bus looks like it will be $5 pp to get from Sydney to Glace Bay. Miner's Museum is $6 for the museum & then $6 for the underground. So I'm thinking that bus transit to & from plus musuem/mine will be $22pp. A good deal compared to ship excursions.

So do we need exact change for the bus?? Can we use U.S.? anyone know?

I'm interested in knowing this information as well.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT DO A DONNIE BLACKWOOD TOUR. It s a drive, not a tour. We did this two weeks ago to our regret. No commentary. 2 hour drive to Cabot Trail beginning then 45 min on the trail, which is a busy, modern,2 lane highway. Scenery better in other ports and other areas... Lunch, not planned out, luck of the draw. One or two stops for photos, no commentary or history.... Not a good day out. (We had 3 vans of 6 each and no one would recommend... Sad.)

Sherri

Can you please tell me what you did with him what the price was and what kind of vehicles he had i am looking for vans for 6 paasengers. BTW what date did you go with him....

It wouldn't be one I could recommend....

Sherri

I have posted this before and it does not hurt to repeat: the section of the Cabot Trail which you can fit in with your limited time in port is not the most scenic section of the Cabot Trail.

For scenery you are better off renting a car and driving to Baddeck, Iona and then back up to Sydney. This gives you wonderful views of the Bras D'Or Lakes which are really one large inlet from the ocean. The section around Iona, Little Narrows and Grand Narrows is particularly scenic.

http://*******/maps/hO214

I have posted this before and it does not hurt to repeat: the section of the Cabot Trail which you can fit in with your limited time in port is not the most scenic section of the Cabot Trail.

For scenery you are better off renting a car and driving to Baddeck, Iona and then back up to Sydney. This gives you wonderful views of the Bras D'Or Lakes which are really one large inlet from the ocean. The section around Iona, Little Narrows and Grand Narrows is particularly scenic.

http://*******/maps/hO214

Maryann,

Your recommendation sounds great to me! Would it allow time to visit Highland Village? The map link did not work for me, how long would the overall trip be?

• 2 months later...
Hi there;

Sydney is my home town.

We are doing the Spirit of The Fiddle, Cape Breton Concert since we love this music. It starts at 1:45. We wanted to see Ft Louisbourg and Kennington Cove but worry about time constraints. The ship tour wouldn't book them both. What are my options for a tour? We prefer a tour rather than renting a car. I emailed The Tourism Bureau about hours on Oct 16th for the Fort as it looks like it might be closed after the 15th. Haven't had a reply yet. What else could we do in town if our plans are flawed? Suggestions? Thanks.

Archived