Mar 14/2010: Adventure/Freedom with young teens

I am definitely planning to book a vacation for next March break for my DH, and sons who will be 13 and just shy of 15. We've only cruised twice before with our first cruise being on Adventure of the Seas, which we really enjoyed. I like the itinerary of AOS, but DH is lobbying for a change of ship and thinks that our sons might enjoy Freedom more.

Questions:

a) On Freedom, just how busy is the Flowrider? How long do you typically have to wait for a turn? What hours does it operate? Will it operate on an "at port" day? Someone mentioned that there was a charge for lessons. Does anyone have any advise/experience about this?

b) The H20 splash area...I know it's intended for children. Is there a maximum age limit for this?

c) In the RCI advertising for the youth programs, they talked about the teens being able to order "mocktails". I would presume there is an extra charge for these...any idea how much, or if there is a beverage plan that would cover them?

d) This is more about March break cruising...On both of our previous cruises, we did not have any complaints about other passenger's kids being disruptive or running amuck, but we also didn't go during March break. Does anyone have any comments good or otherwise about cruising during March Break?

e) Finally cabin size. Does 4 to a cabin still work with young teens, or for my own sanity, should I bite the bullet and book 2 staterooms?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

C

The flowrider will always be busy, but HOW busy will depend on the number of folks interested in using it--it can vary!

Can't help you with the splash area---that's an area I stay away from!!!!

The mocktails (virgin drinks) can get expensive...probably around $3-4 each. No, the soda card doesn't cover that...it only includes fountain soda.

We always cruise over some "spring break" or other (it runs for 2 months!!!) and kids haven't bothered us. The ship keeps them busy!!! You only really noticed them around the pool area.

Bite the bullet--you and hubby are sure to want a bit of privacy, and you will NOT get that with 1 cabin...if possible, book yourself a balcony with an inside cabin across the hall for the kids.

We are also looking at AOS for our spring break (last week in March) with 2 boys 13 and 16. After a lot of looking at this forum, we decided to book a balcony for us with a room across the hall for the boys, preferably overlooking the promenade. I also plan on hitting the flowrider as soon as we finish lunch. Several people noted it wasn't crowded at that time. It also looks like special teen times are scheduled thru the teen club activities.

Are you by chance going the last week in March?

We are also looking at AOS for our spring break (last week in March) with 2 boys 13 and 16. After a lot of looking at this forum, we decided to book a balcony for us with a room across the hall for the boys, preferably overlooking the promenade. I also plan on hitting the flowrider as soon as we finish lunch. Several people noted it wasn't crowded at that time. It also looks like special teen times are scheduled thru the teen club activities.

Are you by chance going the last week in March?

If you have booked on the AOS, you won't be hitting the flowrider any time soon as the AOS doesn't have one! :eek::eek:

Just off the Freedom a week ago....the flowrider wasn't too busy the fist couple of days, but by the last sea day it was packed. They did divide it for boogie boarding session so 2 could go at once. The stand up surfing was using the whole machine. The first day after Coco Cay, my husband tried it. He spent about 45 min between getting the wristband and signing the waiver and standing in line to try it out. By the last day, he didn't even give it a try....the lines were crazy. I want to say private lessons were $60, but they weren't exactly private...I want to say 6-8 people with you. The true private lessons were something like $300.

No age limit at the splash zone.

I would definitly book 2 staterooms.....for the bathroom space if nothing else.

Thanks all for your input - I think we will bite the bullet, and do 2 cabins on Freedom (Balcony for DH, and sons across the hall so they won't constantly ask me where their stuff is LOL) BTW - do any ladies try the flow rider? I usually try to limit embarassing myself to a close group of friends, not a hundred onlookers!

Archived