Alaska June 2010 Travel Deals

Pusniski

A lot of people are searching for deals on lodging and car rentals in this time frame so I thought I'd share what I'm finding. I hope you are willing to share your deals to help out your fellow CC posters/lurkers. :)

My rates are based on 6/18/10-06/25/10.

Hampton Inn - Friday night - AAA rate $89 plus x-tra person fee/taxes is about $119

Denali Park Hotel - Stay 3 or more nights get 20% off the room rate (Yes, they extended this deal to 2010 dates!) With taxes I'm looking at $119 per night - I found this hotel through BudgetQueen's suggestion on here. Thank you, BudgetQueen! ;) This is the cheapest Denali rate I could find. Next cheapest would be Aspen Haus B&B which is really a cabin rental, Park Edge Cabins and Motel Nord Haven - other than Hostels.

Extended Stay Hotel Downtown - $96 total for one night with AAA discount and staying mid-week. *Confirmed they offer shuttle to/from airport AND train depot.

Alamo rental car ANC to ANC - Entertainment code with my free one class upgrade for $147 with taxes for a full size car (free upgrade taken into consideration) dates are 6/18-6/22

HI Express Seward - AAA rate $77 including taxes per night (yes, you read that right - $77. :eek: ) Next jump is $198.

Hertz Seward rental - $80 a day plus taxes using my AAA rate. One way from ANC to Seward stinks, too. *sigh* :(

So there are my steals and deals. :D

Now only if airfare cost will be about the same as they are for July/August then I'll be way under my airfare budget. :cool:

Great rates but I am not surprised - it happens every year for early bookers. For this June I had:

Extended Stay Midtown Anchorage $65/night plus tax booked last October

Enterprise car rental for economy car, 1 week, $124/week incl all taxes booked last August

In past years I have gotten the Extended Stay Downtown Anchorage for $50/night plus tax, a 2-bedroom suite at the Homewood Suites Anchorage for $72/night plus tax and other deals.

BOOK EARLY!

Frugaltravel - Did you book your hotels through Hotwire/Priceline?

I tried Enterprise even their downtown locations round-trip with no luck. Don't get me wrong. I think I have a bang up rental rate, but I kept reading Enterprise was the best. They are double or more than what I was quoted with Alamo, National and Avis. Weird?

Car rental rates change constantly - I checked for someone recently and on-airport was cheaper than off-airport in Anchorage for this summer.

Extended Stays were booked through hotwire, Homewood Suites booked directly.

Having a year to look for deals helps tremendously.

Can you comment on Extended Stay? Their prices are SO much cheaper than anywhere else, I was worried it was a complete dive, bad part of town etc... We will need 2 nights in anchorage and plan to go to the market and ulu factory, dinner at glacier brew. But for rates less than half of the other downtown hotels I was looking at, we could afford to take a taxi a few places if we needed to!

Can you comment on Extended Stay? Their prices are SO much cheaper than anywhere else, I was worried it was a complete dive, bad part of town etc... We will need 2 nights in anchorage and plan to go to the market and ulu factory, dinner at glacier brew. But for rates less than half of the other downtown hotels I was looking at, we could afford to take a taxi a few places if we needed to!

The one downtown has been remodeled in the past few years and gets decent reviews here and Trip Advisor. There are two locations so be sure to book the downtown one on 8th and not the mid-town property. I confirmed they offer free shuttle to the airport and train depot. I've not heard that this place has dirty rooms or in a questionable location. Several cruisers have stayed with no complaints. The front desk person that answered my questions was extremely upbeat. To me that's always a good sign. I want to point out these properties do not have daily housekeeping. It's a home away from home kind of place with some larger rooms having a full kitchen. I'm sure they'll bring fresh towels to you if requested. They offer continental breakfast. I'm a luxury or business hotel traveler through and through. I had my reservations about booking this hotel but jumped on the rate until I could look at the reviews. I would not stay in a place that I thought would be a dive. For two nights a lot of budget hotels are doable with the right frame of mind. i.e - don't expect Four Seasons experience at a Comfort Inn. ;)

• 1 month later...

I found a place with a pretty extensive list of coupons for last minute travel deals. I am not sure if they will or can apply to this situation but they have a ton of them. I thought I would mention it as a beneficial addition to this thread. Hope your bargaining hunting continues to go well. I like places like Hampton Inn, their rates are fantastic!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Archived