Cave tubing and snakes in belize

HMC RET

We are going to do the cave tubing with ATV excursion in Belize and someone told my DW that it is fun but to watch out for the snakes. Now she is freaking out and worried that snakes will be "waiting for us" and is nervous to go and she told me to ask if anyone ever seen or heard of any snakes while in Belize during the cave tubing excursion. I told her that they will stay away if you don't mess with them. Thanks in advance.

Mark

We went cave tubing while in Belize in Feb on the Glory. I did not see any snakes at all and I'm deathly afraid as well. The experience was great for me and not worth skipping for fear that I may see a snake. Tell her not to worry. She will be just fine. :)

We did Cave Tubing in Belize. While we did not see any snakes it is a rain forest so they are likely around. The guides did point out to us tarantula nests along the way.

Tell your DW to stop being such a drama queen and go have fun.

hello all

we did the cave tubing back in 04 on the glory and had a blast... NO SNAKES and while I was expecting it to be 'BUGGY" that was not the case.

We are going on the glory again in 3 weeks..back to belieze but i did not se Carnival offering it on the site( Last time I checked>>)

wanted to do it again ... so did you guys book direct rather than CC?

Thanks PaulMedik and froggy 4. That is what I told her also but....

Paulmedik, I read your last review about the excursion and that is why we booked it, sounded like a lot of fun. Froggy4, where in RI are you from, DW is from Newport until I stole her away from there while I was in the Navy, now we live in Virginia Beach

hello all

we did the cave tubing back in 04 on the glory and had a blast... NO SNAKES and while I was expecting it to be 'BUGGY" that was not the case.

We are going on the glory again in 3 weeks..back to belieze but i did not se Carnival offering it on the site( Last time I checked>>)

wanted to do it again ... so did you guys book direct rather than CC?

I think I read in another thread that Carnival stopped listing this excurision because a lady drowned last year on it.

We are going to do the cave tubing with ATV excursion in Belize and someone told my DW that it is fun but to watch out for the snakes. Now she is freaking out and worried that snakes will be "waiting for us" and is nervous to go and she told me to ask if anyone ever seen or heard of any snakes while in Belize during the cave tubing excursion. I told her that they will stay away if you don't mess with them. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Consider the thousands of passengers who do this at several locations, then consider there has been not ONE report of even seeing a snake much less being bit.

The snakes don't like the cold. So you shouldn't see any snakes.

The Bats and Spiders are another story, but to be fair, I did only see ONE tarantula and he wasn't that big only about the size of a half-dollar.

Thanks PaulMedik and froggy 4. That is what I told her also but....

Paulmedik, I read your last review about the excursion and that is why we booked it, sounded like a lot of fun. Froggy4, where in RI are you from, DW is from Newport until I stole her away from there while I was in the Navy, now we live in Virginia Beach

I am from Providence. Hoping to get down to Newport this summer. It is great this time of year. I know your GF wasn't kicking and screaming as she was leaving. lol She must be happy to be away from these New England winters.

Did not see any snakes I think the water is too cold for them LOL.. I think the water temp stays at about 74 year around.:)

Go do it have fun you won't regret being able to say you went cave tubing when talking about your trip to Belize

WE did cave tubing in Belize in 2005 and right before we got in the water our guide killed a huge snake up on the shore and held it up for all to see. I was really freaking, but my husband assured me we would not have any in the water and we didn't. However, every stick I saw I thought it was a snake. Due to this I really did not enjoy this excursion. I definitely would not do it again!:(

Beg to differ on no reports of snakes....if you search this board you will find a huge thread where someone was bitten by a pit viper on the cave tubing trip and had to be airlifted upon arrival in Cozumel to a hospital in Texas. I remember this while researching an excursion in Belize a year or two ago.

When we went cave-tubing three years ago. We saw a snake on the rock ledge, it was not interested in us at all. Did not see any other snakes or any in the water. We going to Belize again in 10 days, and doing cave-tubing again. It's lots of fun, go and have fun.

To all the people who are asking about snakes. My name is Nacho, I am an independent tour operator here in Belize. As I always tell my guest, "Where is the location for Cave Tubing? In the jungle. Where do snakes live? In the jungle. But, because cave tubing is one of the most popular tours here in Belize, there are thousands of people going there, every week and snakes are afraid of us, just as we are of them, so they keep away or hidden. It is very unlikely that you will see one, they are there, but they rarely come out. So, it is safe to say, that you won't see one.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the tubing in 05 and the jungle was gorgeous, saw 2 snakes one a baby rattle snake and a boa, they were dead hanging right in front of my eyes on a fence and I didn't even see it till someone pointed it out, when we were walking back to the bus. We were parked next to a field were a guy lived and he had a machete cutting back the brush and I walked over to take a picture and that was when I stood in front of the fence!

Nacho! This is Nardi Routten, we enjoyed your wife on our Ariel/Cave tubing tour in Belize about two weeks ago. We had a blast!!!! Tell her we said hi! It was the tour with just the three of us, my husband, my son, and myself!

I've done the cave tubing thing once and will NEVER do it again. I've been on lots of cruises and done lots of excursions in lots of different ports and this was by far the VERY WORST excursion I'd ever been on. They killed a snake right before we got in the water and I about had an anxiety attack. I'm not one to freak out for no reason, but seeing the snake was too much for me. If I could have convinced someone in my group to go back to the vehicles, I would have.

When we were there, they had not had much rain and the river was down. (they failed to tell us this before we got there) You had to paddle your way through the whole thing. It was miserable, I was afraid I was going to be bitten by a snake at any second. It was seriously the worst cruise exeperience I have ever had.

If your daughter is scared of snakes, DO NOT GO ON THIS EXCURSION!!

I've done the cave tubing thing once and will NEVER do it again. I've been on lots of cruises and done lots of excursions in lots of different ports and this was by far the VERY WORST excursion I'd ever been on. They killed a snake right before we got in the water and I about had an anxiety attack. I'm not one to freak out for no reason, but seeing the snake was too much for me. If I could have convinced someone in my group to go back to the vehicles, I would have.

When we were there, they had not had much rain and the river was down. (they failed to tell us this before we got there) You had to paddle your way through the whole thing. It was miserable, I was afraid I was going to be bitten by a snake at any second. It was seriously the worst cruise exeperience I have ever had.

If your daughter is scared of snakes, DO NOT GO ON THIS EXCURSION!!

oh my gosh :(

me and my mom are DEATHLY afraid of snakes. If my mom sees a snake I'm 100% she will go into cardiac arrest. We already signed up with major tom so I guess we'll have to see how it goes! :/

To all the people who are asking about snakes. My name is Nacho, I am an independent tour operator here in Belize. As I always tell my guest, "Where is the location for Cave Tubing? In the jungle. Where do snakes live? In the jungle. But, because cave tubing is one of the most popular tours here in Belize, there are thousands of people going there, every week and snakes are afraid of us, just as we are of them, so they keep away or hidden. It is very unlikely that you will see one, they are there, but they rarely come out. So, it is safe to say, that you won't see one.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the honest answer in regards to snakes. I hate it when I read that one will never encounter a snake in the jungle. I believe that the overall chance is very slim for reasons you stated, however, slim chance doesn't mean no chance.

• 4 years later...

I'm booked on a cave tubing tour in Belize next week and was so excited and not even remotely concerned about snakes UNTIL a friend of mine mentioned them. I was bitten by obviously a non-poisonous snake as a child and am DEATHLY afraid of snakes and now my excitement has turned to fear. HOWEVER, because my husband is so excited about doing this, I'm going to try to resign myself to the fact that we WILL be in the jungle and it would not be unreasonable to see a snake, and put my fears aside and try my best to enjoy this adventure. But I'm scared! :eek:

Oh good Lord ! Tarantula nests? Reading that gave me a heart attack !

We did a river tubing excursion in Jamaica which was awesome. However, you can't really control where your tube floats and mine seemed to like the banks of the river. There were so many spiders and plants !

Our guides carried huge wooden paddles. They occasionally slapped the water & surprised everyone.......in the back of my mind I was thinking they had them for snake reasons. Or now, giant spiders. :eek: