I'm Willing to Try It!!! ESCARGOT

tjeanty

HELLO ALL,

I have NEVER tried escargot, and am really skeptic too. Everyone describes it as slimy, and sort of gamey. Well, I said to my SO, we are going on this fantastic cruise, and I should just get out of my comfort zone and try it. Besides, if I don't like it, I can just order something else.

Anywho, I just thought I'd share that...sailing Carnival Victory 7/26/09!!!

I finally tried it on my last cruise, my BF ordered it and so I tried a small bite. Basically to me it had no flavor and texture reminded me of mushrooms which I hate. I have no desire to eat it again, however he loved it and ordered it twice during the cruise.

I am SO glad you're expanding your horizons a tad...

Escargot is NOT slimly... not in the least. It's warm, buttery, bathed in garlic and herbs... It's a delight!

My girlfriend had never tried Escargot until we sailed on the Fantasy in February... now she LOVES 'em!!!

Pick out a few other items to attempt, as well... It's always worthwhile...

:)

My husband and I tried them for the first time on our last cruise. They were totally different then I expected them to be, they were wonderful. We will certainally get them again on our up coming cruise. Linda

HELLO ALL,

I have NEVER tried escargot, and am really skeptic too. Everyone describes it as slimy, and sort of gamey. Well, I said to my SO, we are going on this fantastic cruise, and I should just get out of my comfort zone and try it. Besides, if I don't like it, I can just order something else.

Go for it! Like previous posters said...you don't really taste anything except butter and garlic. We took our first cruise last year and tried it and ended up loving it. It's all a mind over matter thing! Have fun on your cruise in just one week!!!

Cruises are usually where I try new things. As was the case with escargots the first time I tried them. We were on Monarch OTS last year and I saw my friend eating them. I figured, why not? I tried them and ordered two more plates! Even though I liked RCIs better(they put cheese on top), the ones i had on Spirit were very good.

GO FOR IT!!!! My husband and I tried escargot and caviar on our first (honeymoon) cruise. We thought we were so posh. Now every cruise we try something a little out of our comfort zone. It's exciting. Just do it!!!

They are not slimy. The texture is very much like mushrooms. They have a very mild flavor and the butter and garlic are mainly what you will taste. Your cruise is the perfect opportunity to try new foods that you would not want to have to pay for at a restaurant or grocery store only to find that you don't particularly care for the taste.

I have to wait 80 days in order to have the escargot again...one of the menu items I most look forward to...back in my "younger" days DH's parents served them at a dinner party in honor of our engagement...I had never tried them and didn't want to "turn up my nose" at my pre conceived notion of eating a snail of all things...boy am I glad I did..the garlic butter is to die for and the op's are right...it's a taste unto it's own, but somewhere between a mushroom and clam in my opinion. We are taking our granddaughters on our next cruise for their 16th birthdays and they have both agreed to try a taste...I'll bet I convert them :D..Enjoy, you will be glad you did...come back and let us know what you thought..

Emmy

My DH tried escargot for the 1st time on our Aug. 2008 cruise. He really liked them and would have finished his order if not for the fact I was sitting next to him gagging the whole time. :p I told him that on our next cruise (9-21-09) he can order the escargot and I'll just turn my back towards him until he's finished.

Crusing offers opportunities. Among those are the chance to; meet new people, go places you've never been to, dress how you wish, AND TRY NEW FOOD. My first cruise was caviar, not a big deal, from then on I've tried to keep a very open mind food-wise. I try not to be a "hog" in the MDR but the buffet is fair game as you can control your portion size. One thing that really gets me are the folks that take 14 tons of something and then, after the first bite, decide they don't like it leaving it to be thrown away. What a waste. DW and I have always encouraged those around is to try new things. The house rule is you can't say you don't like it until you've ried it twice. OK End of sermon. In otherwords, TRY IT, there will be someone at your table who will take care of the escargot if you don't like them, (You can mail them to me)

Definitely time to try new stuff - esp as you are not 'committed' and can choose something else.

My first sushi attempt was at the sushi bar at the Valor - was so proud of myself - have several pics of me eating sushi - and I really liked it (and still do).

Then there are those 'weirdly' described things on the menu that sound sketchy? Well after a few cruises I was tired of the usual desserts and tried the Warm Cinnamon Fig and date cake - WOW - it was sooo goood! I couldn't believe it had been shying away from it. Now I tell tablemates to try it - it's really good! They look at me disbelievingly but then change their minds once they have had some - I now look forward to it on every cruise!

Still have to try the 'bitter and blanc' everyone is raving about! :)

My first cruise was caviar, not a big deal,

Does Carnival have caviar? I've only been on 2 cruises and never saw any, but wasn't really looking for it either. I had caviar a couple of times around 20 years ago and would like to try it again. Funny, nobody I know who throws good parties serves caviar at them! lol

As many above have said, and I have said many times before. Get some hard crusted, full bodied bread. The SNAILS are swimming in garlic and butter. Use the bread to sop up the tasty garlic butter. Throw the muddy tasting garden slugs away!:D:eek::rolleyes:

Might as well eat lychee nuts.

I tried escargot for the first time several years ago on a cruise and loved it and have had it several times since. Told DW just the other day that I was really looking forward to having some escargot on our upcoming cruise.

HELLO ALL,

OMG.... you are gonna love them!!!!!! It was so funny the first time I tried them. My sister ordered me a marguerita, then another, then the escargot. I was so toasted I didn't care. We sat there laughing about the fact that we were eating SLUGS..... and then dipping the crunchy bread into slug juice. But, seriously, they were amazing and I have ordered them continually since.

Here is a picture of what they may look like on the cruise.

In the supper club: (I didn't like these as well)

2255874200103786376S600x600Q85.jpg

In the dining room: (These were the best!!!)

2004276400103786376S600x600Q85.jpg

It makes me want some right now.... yummy!!!!!!

My daughter abosolutely LOVES the escargot! She's 15 now but has been eating them on cruises for years. It's my Aunts favorite food of the cruise, she always orders 2 at a time. As for me, one or 2 is enough because they are very rich (Butter and garlic aside). But, hey, as long as daughter or aunt are there, they'll finish my plate too. ;) Definitely have more bread to sop up all the yumminess!

Enjoy!

I tried escargot for the first time several years ago on a cruise and loved it and have had it several times since. Told DW just the other day that I was really looking forward to having some escargot on our upcoming cruise.

It has been one of my favorite food dishes since I was 3 years old! :D

Archived