Vatican Museum and Regional Trains Air Conditioning?

jascarb

Traveling beginning of August...I am used to hot weather where I live but wonder if the Vatican Museum will have air conditioning. Also, will the regional train from "civ" to Rome have ac or Italian AC (windows open)?

Traveling beginning of August...I am used to hot weather where I live but wonder if the Vatican Museum will have air conditioning. Also, will the regional train from "civ" to Rome have ac or Italian AC (windows open)?

There was no air con in the Vatican Museum the last time I was there over a year ago.

As for the trains: I asked the same question earlier in June & the replies were as followed:

All the higher speed trains such as IC and ES are very comfortable and have AC...but these trains also require reservations and most use them for longer trips (although there are a few that can take you from Civitavecchia to Rome). The regional trains that run on the line are supposed to have AC, but it is one of those hit and miss things (after all, it is Italy). It seems to us that whenever we use the trains on a hot day the AC does not work, and when its a cool comfortable day the AC works fine :)

Hank

Truffles,

In reference to the train clarification: The IC's have first and second class sections and most likely airconditioning. The local trains to Civitavecchia do have airconditioning Second class seating only. There is no first class seating on the locals. The Leanardo Expresss (FCO to Termini) has no air conditioning. Believe me....my wife did not like riding the Leanardo Express in August with no Air Conditioning. Tim

Hope this helps.

Extremely doubtful in both cases, although my last Vatican Museum visit was in October, so I cannot see no with absolute certainty.

However, there certainly has never been any evidence of a/c on any of our numerous train trips on local trains in Italy, the most recent being the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Pompeii and back last month.

I was in the Vatican Museum in June.

Some of it was a/c - some of it was not. The parts that were not air-conditioned were extremely hot - made even worse by the crush of humanity.

My suggestion - take lots of water. It's allowed. There are fountains outside by the Square that will let you refill your water bottle for free.

Take a handkerchief and soak it in the cool water and put it on your neck to cool down. It really was hot - and this was June.

Sherri

Archived