How do you take all this great info to AK with you??

kjcolv

Anyone who hasn't checked out mercedmike's cruise pictures and info is really missing out. Very informative and interesting!!!! Thanks for sharing:)

Tanks for dem kind wurds!

And incidentally my folder full of documents is a big help to me as I prepare the web pages to refresh my memory, give details, and provide the links to good guides.

I like to copy / paste the great comments & tips I get from here & Tripadvisor into a big word document. I then edit & review & organize it based on ports / restaurants / ship tips / etc and print it out along with confirms & a detailed itinerary goes in the front. By then, I've practically memorized all the tips & rec's after seeing it so many times. Ideally I'd go back & update it based on what I did and my experiences, but I don't always do that.

Sometimes I even share it with other folks heading to the same destination, but only if I really, really like them.

I went to Europe in 2007 Land / Cruise. We spent a week in Paris, and 2 days before and 2 days after the cruise in Barcelona. I used 3 of those folder that have the metal tabs that fold down to keep the pages in. For Paris and Bareclona, I had tab dividers the broke out restaurants, museums and entertainment, transportation, tours. For the Cruise one, each tab was a different port with our tour info and the shopping / restaurants / etc all on the number of pages I needed for that port. Most of the info was cut and pasted from the source into a single word document. Pages that needed to be removed went into plastic sleeves, because those folders are not as easy to get pages in and out of.

Every folder had our baisc information, flight, hotel numbers for all cities, eticket confirmation numbers, travel insurance, emergancy contact numbers, etc.

Much thinner than a 3 ring binder, and when we were done with Paris, I could put that one away and not have to lug the paperwork around with me all the time.

I will do the same thing with Alaska, Cruise cities will get one folder, pre and post cities will have their own.

I should have read your post before I replied:) (see previous post).

One sheet is definitely more my style!:D and not even on a large

calender..since I travel solo, a small to medium sized one would be

just fine.

Oh, I don't carry a whole calendar, just one piece of paper. I copy the month I'm traveling and list everything on that single piece of paper!

I don't even carry a purse, everything goes into my jeans pockets :D or the lanyard around my neck.

I've always wondered why women tote around big purses, now I know.....it's to carry those 3 ringed binders ;)

I organize everything (even bus/directions) into a simple Word doc (which I can read on my phone). Confirmation #s and times are also stored on my phone's calendar. Emails for trip into a folder in my yahoo account, accessible also on phone. I also bring hard copies of maps, brochures in a 8 pocket vinyl accordian file, which are filed according to day/location. I then bring the hard copies for the day in sheet protectors, along with the day's printout from my word doc and stuff it into my daypack. Yes, I am anal but my family still loves me!

I've always wondered why women tote around big purses, now I know.....it's to carry those 3 ringed binders ;)

Actually I don't carry a purse either. The only time I carried the whole binder was in our carryon bag the day we got on the ship and the day we got off the ship. Other than that it stayed in our cabin the whole time.

That's why the plastic sleeves are so nice. I would just remove the sleeve for the day we needed it. We always take one backpack with us where we keep wallet, binoculars, sunscreen, repellant or any other items we might need depending on the excursion. I would just tuck the one plastic sleeve with the papers for that day in the backpack lovingly carried by my DH or DS.

So I'm still hands free! :D

As you can see from my signature, I put everything into a personal web page with links to all locations / vendors. This I can access from my google phone in port, or laptop puter from a locally cached copy to avoid excessive ship online charges. I have a mini notebook (aka netbook) that will fit into the cabin safe... most laptops do not. I also translated this manually into google calendar including phone numbers for ports where mobile internet is too expensive (i.e. Canada). The tripit subscription mentioned previously sounds like a way cool option.

Oh, I don't carry a whole calendar, just one piece of paper. I copy the month I'm traveling and list everything on that single piece of paper!

I don't even carry a purse, everything goes into my jeans pockets :D or the lanyard around my neck.

LOL:D....I have a crossbody bag. Its nylon and VERY LIGHTWEIGHT:)

It holds quite a bit and that includes my paperwork.

As for a "regular purse"? I do bring one that is small and it works

for all the evenings except formal. I bring a pretty clutch for those

nights.

I don't like a lanyard, but that is just me:)

Cruzin: Just wondering what lanyard around neck is for? Busy writing out index cards for each port. Will carry just one in each port, but will use "fanny pack". Stressing about so much info, so much to see, hope can do just about all, lol

Archived