Disembarking a day early at a port ? Is it possible?

altarrose

Hello!

We are set to sail on the Glory in a few days. Our last port of call is Nassau from 9am-4pm. This is the last night of the cruise, then after we'd be scheduled to disembark in the am in Port Canveral.

I am wondering if it is possible to disembark a day early, while in Nassau and if so how?

Our flights home are actually cheaper from Nassau than Orlando and it'd be nice to have the extra time in port if such a thing is possible

Thanks

OP do you have a passport? You've got to have one to fly into the US from a foreign port.

I would like to say im sorry to the OP & to the board for giving advice earlier in this thread that was in bad judgement. As a responsible adult, I admit that I made a mistake. If there was a way to change the past, I would do it. Its probably best that I keep my stupid mouth shut and not post here anymore anyway. I never meant to upset so many people.

Goodbye all

I would like to say im sorry to the OP & to the board for giving advice earlier in this thread that was in bad judgement. As a responsible adult, I admit that I made a mistake. If there was a way to change the past, I would do it. Its probably best that I keep my stupid mouth shut and not post here anymore anyway. I never meant to upset so many people.

Goodbye all

Don't worry about it. We've all put the proverbial foot in the mouth at some point.:p

You can tell Carnival your not happy with the cruise and want off. So, you can plan to tell Carnival as your steaming to nassau. They will pay for your flight back home. Why not make the system work for you. I think thats how it works, I have never done it but there is a guarentee. Check the Carnival website:D

Not funny, this is plain and down right cheating? No wonder my prices keep going up because I have to make my ends meet because of people like who, who wants the "system to work for them."

Back to the OP, can I ask how substantial the savings is by flying out of Nassau instead of Orlando?

Seems like you'd have to save a LOT on your flight, just to make it worth the hassle. Even if another PVP at Carnival tells you it's ok, what if it DOES turn out to be a violation of the Jones Act when you actually do disembark in Nassau?

And then you would have no signed or even documented proof that you were given the go-ahead...just "Average Joe PVP at Carnival said I could."

IMO, unless I was saving a boatload (pardon the pun) on airfare, I'd just enjoy the rest of the cruise back to Orlando and disembark with the rest of the passengers.

Back to the OP, can I ask how substantial the savings is by flying out of Nassau instead of Orlando?

Because it's simply cheaper for some carriers to fly out of Nassau than Orlando. I've long stopped trying to unravel the mysteries of airline pricing. But if say Continental is running a special between one of their hubs and Nassua, it's completely plausible.

Seems like you'd have to save a LOT on your flight, just to make it worth the hassle.

Hassle to whom? The passengers getting off? It's no skin off Carnival's rear -- less work for the crew.

Even if another PVP at Carnival tells you it's ok, what if it DOES turn out to be a violation of the Jones Act when you actually do disembark in Nassau?

It doesn't. It would only be a violation if they didn't visit a foreign port.

And then you would have no signed or even documented proof that you were given the go-ahead...just "Average Joe PVP at Carnival said I could."

Do you really think a person can't walk up the Information Desk on a ship and ask not to reboard at any port along the way? Of course they can. It's a cruise ship, not a prison. The only issue is if it's a US port or a foreign port. Nassua is a foreign port.

You can tell Carnival your not happy with the cruise and want off. So, you can plan to tell Carnival as your steaming to nassau. They will pay for your flight back home. Why not make the system work for you. I think thats how it works, I have never done it but there is a guarentee. Check the Carnival website:D

I'm sure your mother and father must be really proud of your honesty!!!!! Your thinking is disgusting.

Wow! I feel like this post caused a lot of drama- I certainly didn't intend to do that.

As for "hassle", by debarking early I am actually only missing about 16 hours of the cruise (including sleeping time) as we'd be coming into Port Canaveral at 8am the following day.

I've never been to the Bahamas, so just figured if we could debark and stay an extra night or two rather than getting back on the ship to disembark the next morning, it would be ideal. The flights back out of Nassau are about $70 cheaper apiece, so while it's not a substantial savings, it evens out with what we'll be paying for hotels- and extends our trip :-)

And yes, we both have passports. I actually didn't realize you could cruise without one!

Sooo...for anyone else curious about this situation, I called back and talked to another agent who was much more familiar with such things and said it was no problem. She made a note in the reservation and reminded us to just remind the crew when we boarded. I called back this morning to double check and the note was indeed there. Apparently this really is no problem.

as I was previously totally unfamiliar with the Jone's act- thanks to all who took the time to explain. I really appreciate it.

Goodbye all

Limoguy your comic sans font doesn't exactly scream sincerity. Nice try though!

I would also think that they woule book you on the first flight back home so you can not stay the day or overnight.Correct ?

Not to take this thing off track again, but ...

I believe with Vacation Guarantee you have to book your own flights, then claim reimbursement.

Im new here but not new with message boards in general. I have read some of the posts in this thread regarding limoguy1 and his thoughts, along with other responses. Seems to me, he realizes he was wrong and gave an apology. Is that all we should expect anyway? Isnt that good enough? Or should we call in the lynch mob after a member makes a mistake here?

It's a cruise ship, not a prison. The only issue is if it's a US port or a foreign port. Nassua is a foreign port.

Exactly what I was thinking all along. There is no call for any drama or special arrangements beyond settling your account early. We were planning to do this too a few cruises back because spending a some extra days in our last port seemed a great trade off for missing one last dinner and one last breakfast on the ship. It never even crossed my mind this was some sort of issue. We're not prisoners -- we're passengers!

Wow! I feel like this post caused a lot of drama- I certainly didn't intend to do that.

As for "hassle", by debarking early I am actually only missing about 16 hours of the cruise (including sleeping time) as we'd be coming into Port Canaveral at 8am the following day.

I've never been to the Bahamas, so just figured if we could debark and stay an extra night or two rather than getting back on the ship to disembark the next morning, it would be ideal. The flights back out of Nassau are about $70 cheaper apiece, so while it's not a substantial savings, it evens out with what we'll be paying for hotels- and extends our trip :-)

And yes, we both have passports. I actually didn't realize you could cruise without one!

Sooo...for anyone else curious about this situation, I called back and talked to another agent who was much more familiar with such things and said it was no problem. She made a note in the reservation and reminded us to just remind the crew when we boarded. I called back this morning to double check and the note was indeed there. Apparently this really is no problem.

as I was previously totally unfamiliar with the Jone's act- thanks to all who took the time to explain. I really appreciate it.

Glad it worked out for you and you got the informed answer you wanted. Sorry an innocent question resulted in so much drama. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm in online forums, especially CC lately. (Virtual full moon, maybe?)

Lemurcat,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions to the OP, albeit a little abrasively. As tone and intent can't be read in an online forum, I will assume that I did not actually offend you in asking them. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks OP for posting this - and saving me the trouble of starting my own thread ;)

I was just about to ask the same question about an HAL cruise i'm just about to buy. I was pretty sure I could just leave, but my husband wanted me to make sure :) All the helpful posts in this thread have just verified to me that I can make the arrangements and inform the cruise line of my intentions ahead of time, and on the ship, then have a fun time with my luggage on a tender ;)

Archived