Best way to get from Pier to airport in San Francisco?

BART is the cheapest. The station you want is Embarcadero, and the fare to the SFO airport is $4.95 pp.

You have to get from the Pier up Market St. to the station entrance. Muni Bus #21 goes along The Embarcadero, which is the street the Pier's are on.

It might be easier to take a cab to the BART station.

Take the train SFO Airport Express, or Millbrae and then transfer to the SFO BART train (I'd wait for the SFO Airport Express train).

[url="http://www.BART.org"]www.BART.org[/url] has a good trip planner.
Peggy - RCI since 1973

marfir: what airline are you taking? I can direct you from the BART station inside SFO to your airline's ticket counter.

Serenade of the Seas 5/30/04
Vision of the Seas 12/03
Rhapsody of the Seas 6/97
Majesty of the Seas 6/94

Thanks so much for the information. I've never tried using buses or trains with luggage. is that going to be a nightmare? We should just have a couple of medium sized bags and a tote or so.

Is it far to the Embarcadaro station? Approximate taxi fare? Just trying to figure if maybe the ship's transfers are worth it.

We are purchasing air tickets tomorrow ( hope they don't take another big jump! ) and will either be on Frontier or Midwest. The directions would be really helpful I'm sure.

I don't think the cab fare will be much. I worked near the station a while back and took a cab to a hotel about the same distance away, and it was $5 - 10.

BART is easy. Down the steps (there is also an elevator at street level) to the underground station, buy your ticket at the machine, down the escalator to the platform, watch the overhead signs for SF Airport Express, you're on, and it's about a 30 minute ride. It delivers you right inside the airport.

If the ship docks on a Saturday, then there's fewer people. During the week it may be more crowded, but you probably won't be there until after commute time, anyway.

The ship's transfers usually cost around $20 pp, I think. I can understand your hesitancy, since you've never been here.

If you look at Yahoo Maps for The Embarcadero, and navigate a little bit north, you can see the piers and the end of Market St. Look for the upside-down green "L", which is the Embarcadero Plaza. Market St. ends / starts there. Up Market St. a few blocks to Fremont St. is the Embarcadero BART station. That's the distance you have to go. The question is which pier you'll dock at. I think the cruise lines use the ones further down toward Market St., but I'm not sure.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

We just did this last week, in the reverse order. It was so easy, and since we had carry-ons, we just walked from the Embarcadero BART station to our ship at pier 32. It still wouldn't be hard with one piece of luggage and a tote apiece. The BART trains to SFO have room at each end of the cars to sit and have your luggage in front of you. The station is in the International terminal and they have trams to all the other terminals.

Coral Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;5;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;09;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the Jewel of the Seas

When you exit BART and enter the International Terminal, turn right, walk the length of the International Terminal, turn left, take the escalator or elevator down one level. Follow the signs to Terminal 1, if you are flying anyone other than United, American, or AirTran. Proceed through the connectng walkway to Terminal 1. Check in at US Airways for Midwest Express, or at Continental for Frontier.

Yes, there are trams (AirTrain), but it's a hassle to get to and from, and it's really slow. You could do that walk I mentioned, and be at your counter faster. Good luck.

Serenade of the Seas 5/30/04
Vision of the Seas 12/03
Rhapsody of the Seas 6/97
Majesty of the Seas 6/94

Archived