Can we make the 9am water taxi to Cay Caulker?

sqerlygirl

ncboys,Such great info. We were in Belize last year and had a less than perfect experience, :(so we thought this time we might not even leave the ship! After reading your posts, I'm ready to check out Caye Caulker. I think the art sealed the deal. I collect local artists, no shot glass or T-shirt junk. I never spend that much, but always find something that I can add to my growing collection. The breakfast, the lobster, all make it even better. I think we will skip any tour packages and do our own thing!

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Just starting to research ports for our October cruise.

Our ship arrives at 7 and leaves at 5PM. I take it that I still would have to take the noon return.

Am I calculating this correctly? That would only give us 2 hours at Caye Caulker.

Our ship arrives at 7 and leaves at 5PM. I take it that I still would have to take the noon return.

Am I calculating this correctly? That would only give us 2 hours at Caye Caulker.

If your ship si on Eastern Daylight time, it'll be anchoring at 6AM in Belize. You might be able to grab an early tender and catch the 8AM water taxi (9AM ship time, but you'll need to get a tender by 8:15-8:30 ship time to make it). If you can catch a tender by 9 AM ship time you can make the 9AM water taxi.

A noon return would give you about 2.5 hours on Caye Caulker. At the latest a 1:30P return (2:30 P ship time) would get you back before the last tender to the ship (usually around 4P ship time). But that would be the absolute latest and I would use it as a back up. But make sure you're aware of the time diferences between your ship and Belize. They should be posted in your daily newsletter/events schedule. And wear a watch, don't depend on your cell phone for time.

• 2 weeks later...
The split is a 50 foot channel that seperates the north and south parts of the island. From what I understand, hurricane Hattie cut the island in half many years ago. This is now refered to as "the split" because it split the island in half.

Once you get off the water taxi, walk to the end of the dock and take a right on Front Street(the first street you come to). The split will be about 400 yards down the street. Basically, just keep walking until you cant go any further. Thats the split. There is a small outdoor bar there called the Lazy Lizard where you can get a drink and a snack if you like. The split is a very popular place to swim and hang out but most people usually dont show up until after 12:00 noon so you should have the whole place to yourself. There are two picnic tables sitting in the water that you can sit down, drink a Belikin(local beer) and watch the fishermen go by in their little boats.

A few things about the split.... at the end of the cement pier lives a moray eel. While I wouldnt recommend picking him up and playing with him, it's safe to snorkel down and look for him. He's been ther the last three times i've gone(most recently April). He's probally still there. Also, if you want a neat souviner to take home, you can swim about 15' out from the wall(right in front of the bar) and there's a huge pile of conch shells. Fishermen gather conchs all day and discard the shells in the same place, thus creating a huge pile of conch shells. There are also tons of tropical fish here you will see. Hint: bring a box or two of cereal from the ship(breakfast roomservice), sprinkle it in the water, and you'll have TONS of tropical fish all around you.

Recomandation: Save swimming at the split for last since there isint any place to rinse the saltwater off your body. If you walk around all day with dried saltwater on you, you'll regret it.

Another recomendation is that once you get off the water taxi, go find the Bakery on Back Street. You can get fresh bread(made fresh every morning) and fresh squeezed orange, watermelon or pineapple juice. it's squeezed fresh right in front of you and they put it in a large 1 liter bottle. It will be your best breakfast of your vacation and it won't cost more than $3 for two people. If you're interested, let me know and i'll make a map for you.

A few more things...

If you like art, Find Alfred at the Caye Caulker Art Gallery. The word "gallery" is a slight exaduration as the place is literally three walls and a tin roof with canvases stapled to the walls. He has several pieces of original artwork by local Caye Caluker artists. We buy somthing from every trip.

Pick up a bottle or two of Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce. I'm not really a hot sauce type person, but I cook with it all the time. I buy 10 bottles every time I go. Cheap at only $2 per bottle.

Pick up a bottle of Mr. P's Cashew Wine. Not a top shelf wine by any stretch of the imagination, but it's incredibly unique. We're down to our last bottle and will be stocking up again when we go back in three weeks.

I already mentioned Carlos for lunch. He's a heck of a nice guy who just makes an honest living with a grill on the side of the road. No fancy restaurant. Just a man and his little charcoal grill. Lobster will be in season while you are there. Highly recommend the Lobster-Ka-Bob. Hell of a deal at $5. Better than any restaurant on the island.

One of the nice things about Caye Caulker is that it is 100% authentic. There are no 5 star hotels, no fancy restaurants, and the people are wonderful. No one is treated like a tourist, but more like a local. I've been six times in the past four years and there are a lot of the people on the island who actually recognize me and know me by name... seriously. I absolutely love this place. We're thinking about buying a lot on the north island for retirement in 30 years.

Wow.... this reply went on and on didnt it? You asked about the split and I wrote a short novel. heh! You'll have a great time, regardless of what you do. Just being on Caye Caulker is an incredible experience.

The split:

world_tour_05.1173510360.p1010230_-_north_caye_caulker.jpg

Carlos and his grill

carlos.JPG

Alfred at the Art Gallery

IMG_3092.JPG

The Bakery

2.1242622980.-.jpg

Thank you so much for all of the great info! Any idea how much the art work runs? Just wondering. Also it looks like the prices went up for the water taxi to $15 per person round trip...can't find any info on kids prices. Do you usually prepay for the taxi or just walk up at the pier? Thanks again!

If you are going on a Norwegian cruise, you are screwed. Their tendering process is a total joke. You'll be lucky to get off the ship by 10:30 am.

• 2 months later...
Here's a map of Caye Caulker with some of my favorite places. Hope this helps.

Your information is so helpful!

We are thinking about doing the Coral Breeze stingray alley caye caulker tour next week. It only allows about an hour on the caye and I am wondering how long it takes to walk to the art gallery and Carlos? Also about how much does the art run in US$?

Your information is so helpful!

We are thinking about doing the Coral Breeze stingray alley caye caulker tour next week. It only allows about an hour on the caye and I am wondering how long it takes to walk to the art gallery and Carlos? Also about how much does the art run in US$?

How fast can you walk 150 yards to the art gallery or 250 to Carlos and the split?

Also be advised if hoping to travel via water taxi that the 2 water taxi compnaies, San Pedro and Caye Caulker have merged and reduced services. Plus I understand there has been some theft on the taxis by the crews, primarily with longer staying passengers who are transporting lugggage that has to stay below deck. So only bring a day pack or small bag and keep it with you. In short an organized excursion may be the better way to visit Caye Caulker at present.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a week on Caye Caulker and the Water Taxi prices have gone up to $20 USD. Both water taxi companies are still up and running. Between the two of them, the old schedules are still the same. In other words, there is still a 8am taxi(rather than two 8am taxis... one from each company). You'll still have no problem at all getting to the island.

Still the most beautiful place on earth.

We just got back from a week on Caye Caulker and the Water Taxi prices have gone up to $20 USD. Both water taxi companies are still up and running. Between the two of them, the old schedules are still the same. In other words, there is still a 8am taxi(rather than two 8am taxis... one from each company). You'll still have no problem at all getting to the island.

Still the most beautiful place on earth.

Hi, love all the detailed information about this neat place but wondering if we can work this...NCL Spirit first week of May, 2011. From what I've read it will be difficult to get one of the earliest water taxis...thinking of the Coral Breezes tour, at the extra rate as they say they will get you back before your ship sails. one way or the other!

Others have posted that Carlos wasn't there/ready in the time frame they arrived.

So, if we get to CC at 10 am CST (11 am CDT) grab some fresh squeezed juice and bread then amble down past the Art Gallery toward the split and arrive at Carlos' Grill at 11 am CST will we be able to partake of these most excellent seafood kabobs?

I'm thinking we need to be back to dock by 12:30 pm CST as the Coral Breezes boat leaves by 1 pm...get back to Belize City by 2 pm CST...still time to catch the tender?

Kindly advise these two enthusiastic but Western Caribbean newbies so we can share a bit of the Island magic if you will ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, love all the detailed information about this neat place but wondering if we can work this...NCL Spirit first week of May, 2011. From what I've read it will be difficult to get one of the earliest water taxis...thinking of the Coral Breezes tour, at the extra rate as they say they will get you back before your ship sails. one way or the other!

Others have posted that Carlos wasn't there/ready in the time frame they arrived.

So, if we get to CC at 10 am CST (11 am CDT) grab some fresh squeezed juice and bread then amble down past the Art Gallery toward the split and arrive at Carlos' Grill at 11 am CST will we be able to partake of these most excellent seafood kabobs?

I'm thinking we need to be back to dock by 12:30 pm CST as the Coral Breezes boat leaves by 1 pm...get back to Belize City by 2 pm CST...still time to catch the tender?

Kindly advise these two enthusiastic but Western Caribbean newbies so we can share a bit of the Island magic if you will ;-)

I've heard that NCL runs a weird schedule, so I dont know how early(or late) you'll be able to get off the ship. Carlos is usually setup and cooking by 12 noon (Belize time), so you should be able to get some lunch from him under most circumstances. Alfred is usually at the Art Gallery by 10am (Belize time). And the bakery is always open. We're going back in 3 weeks. I'll be sure and let you know if anything has changed.

Thank you NCBoys for all this info very helpful (Wish I saw it before I cruised) ! I just came from a Eastern turned Western (EARL) cruise on the Carnival Dream & ended up going to Caye Caulker with the advise of some experience cruisers I meet on CC. You are correct it is a beautiful Island & I love to see the locals & true culture. No worries about safetly ... Just an amazing place.

I have to say however the beach (Split) is not the nicest as far as the land goes... the snorkling & water is amazing. I ate at the Lazy Lizard & missed the Man you recommend until I was passing by after I ate :rolleyes: I still really enjoyed my meal ! $10US for Lobster, rice & Vegtables. I ate Pineapple cake from a Local on a bike selling it... it was good. I wish I know about the bakery for the juice ! I am considering going back (Not on a cruise) for a vacation !

• 1 month later...

Archived