goggles or snorkel mask

torcruise

I wear glasses and sometimes contacts. I'm wondering how others who wear contact what was your experence while snorkeling. Main question is does the mask really keep water out of your eyes? I went swiming with goggles and water still got under the goggles into my eyes causing me to ruin my contact.:(

If you buy only one piece of equipment for snorkeling or diving, it should be your mask. If it fits you correctly the water should not leak in at all (but you still need to be sure no hair breaks the seal). When you buy one be sure to get help in making sure it fits correctly. That's the biggest problem with rental equipment... one size does not fit all. We all have different face shapes and a leaky mask is no fun.

I wear contacts too and even teach diving. I do close my eyes when my mask is off (for teaching), but otherwise, not a problem. My mask fits like a glove. I'll try dozens of masks until I find the perfect one for me and that is the one I buy, regardless of brand.

However, my optometrist told me that the salt water and contacts are not a good mix and that it destroys contacts. She suggested using dailies for swimming or diving and tossing them afterwards (which I'd do IF they actually ever get the water on them).

I would go to a local dive shop and have them help you select the right mask for your face. I usually just test out masks in the dive shop's pool to determine which one has the best fit.

Before I had lasik I did wear contacts while snorkeling. I always wore disposables when I snorkeled and threw them out afterwards. If you don't wear disposables, then ask your doctor for a pair.

I am near sighted and snorkel without contacts or prescription lenses, since underwater you are looking at objects within 10-20 feet.

So after you find a good mask at a dive shop try a pool dive with and with out contacts and see what you are comfortable with.

I purchased daily contacts for use when snorkeling. I always take 2 - 3 sets along on any excursion, plus the ones I wear. As others have recommended I purchased my own mask and snorkel. I suggest that you go to a reputable dive shop and have them help you. Most will have a selection of relatively inexpensive mask & snorkel sets intended for snorkeling. (If memory serves I paid about $80 for my set. Not super cheap but I've never had a problem with the two pieces either.) While I wouldn't suggest buying top of the line don't cheap out either. A good fitting mask and a decent snorkel will make snorkeling pleasurable. Most of the people who tell me they don't enjoy the sport cite water down the snorkel & in the mask as the reason.

The extra sets of contacts are so that you can change if you get saltwater splashed in your eyes. In my experience it happens rarely, but when it does you will want to remove the contacts at the first opportunity if saltwater gets under the contact. Saltwater trapped under a contact is quite irritating so if you have very sensitive eyes take some drops along as well.

First of all, you really really don't want to snorkel with goggles. There's no way to equalize the pressure and they could implode into your eyes (no, seriously.)

Secondly, it's all good advice that's been given so far. Snorkeling with a mask and contacts has never given me any problems.

Cheers,

Roger

I agree with everyone, but want to add that in the few times when I've gotten water in my mask, it hasn't gotten into my eyes or contacts. Masks are larger than goggles, and with gravity, water is more likely to go in the nose area than in your eyes. If you end up having to take off your mask and empty it, just be careful to keep your head totally out of the water.

Archived