Caye Caulker snorkling help needed

Star1

We will take the water taxi to Caye Caulker. I understand that I can walk to someplace to snorkle. I have my own gear. I understand it is a rocky non sandy beach area. I just want to snorkle from shore for free! Please can someone tell me where I can find such a great place and how to walk to this area.

Thanks,

WMM

"The Split" is really the only place to snorkel on Caye Caulker(that is accessible from the shore). It's a deep channel that splits the island in half(caused by a hurricane tyears ago). There are of course tons of places a few hundred yards off shore but you'll need a boat(don't try to do it from shore.... the reef is much further than it looks). To get to "the Split", as soon as you get off the water taxi, walk to the end of the pier and take a right on Front Street(will be the first street you come to...can't miss it) Walk about 1/4 mile till you can't go any further. Thats "the Split'.

I have this image taped to my computer monitor at work. The Split is my favorite place on the planet. Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

IMG_3033.JPG

Is you want to snorkel on the reefs. I highly recomend Coral Breeze. I've used them several times and they are fantastic!!!!!

cruise2006_day5%20155.jpg

That is what I needed. Is it easy to get into the water at the Splits? Is there a bathroom or a place to get some snacks?

Have you snorkled here? Will I see any fish?

Why do you love this place so much? Looking at your picture I have to ask why is it so wonderful? I thought your picture was gonna be a wonderful sunset with palm trees ect.

Please tell me more about the Splits.

Thanks,

That is what I needed. Is it easy to get into the water at the Splits? Is there a bathroom or a place to get some snacks?

Have you snorkled here? Will I see any fish?

Why do you love this place so much? Looking at your picture I have to ask why is it so wonderful? I thought your picture was gonna be a wonderful sunset with palm trees ect.

Please tell me more about the Splits.

Thanks,

Yes, at the split, there is a small outdoor bar named the Lazy Lizard where you can get food and drink and use the restroom. There is also a shallow area with picnic tables in the watter that you can sit on to put your gear on. Very easy to get in and out of the water. There are fish everywhere, although there are no real coral formations there. Mostly just rubble and sand on the bottom(and about a billion conch shells). The Split is kind of the "meeting place" on the island. Everyone comes there to watch the sunset in the evening and swim during the afternoon. Although if you're arriving early in the morning(before noon) you'll probally have the place to yourself mostly.

As far as "why is it so wonderful". You're right, it;s not the typical palm tree postcard, but the water is the most incredible color of blue i've seen anywhere in the caribbean. I think maybe I just love Caye Caulker as a whole and maybe not only the split. One of the things you need to know about Caye Caulker is that it's primitive(in a good way). It's very relaxed. Everyone is friendly. Just an incredible place. I've traveled all over the world, and there's no place like Caye Caulker. If you're into super fancy resorts, this is NOT the place for you.

Also.... on your way back to the dock, find a guy named Carlos on the side of the road(ocean side about 100 yards from the Split). He will have a small charcoal grill set up on the side of the road and makes fresh kabobs(lobster, fish, or conch) daily. It's the freshest, cheapest, and best food on the entire island. We stayed in Caye Caulker for a week in April and bought lunch from him every day. We met him there on our first trip 5 years ago and he was still there when we went last month.

Here is Carlos:

carlos.JPG

After lookijng back, the pic I uploaded doesn't show the real beauty of the place so here are some others:

world_tour_05.1173510360.p1010227_-_the_split.jpg

world_tour_05.1173510360.p1010230_-_north_caye_caulker.jpg

The Split is Great! The Lazy Lizard (& the drinks) are GREAT! The water is beautiful and GREAT! The walk to the Split is GREAT! The People are GREAT! ETC.

It's a place where you can take your whole family. Kids can play in the shallows with the fish, you can snorkel, kick back, relax, have a drink, eat a bit, and do it all over again.

Here's a pic of a starfish I brought up for my son to see @ the Split:

537090600_Starfish2_640x426.jpg

As I recall, there was (5 years ago) a sunken rowboat off the beach close to the Lazy Lizard. Lots of fish around there.

• 1 month later...

Do I have to worry about not having much time to snorkle?

It sounds to me that I will have 3 1/2 hours to enjoy the water.

We are in port at 8-5.

There is an hours time difference- port time is 1 hour earlier than ship time.

We should be able to get the 9:00 water taxi over to the island.

45 minute ride, 15 minute walk to the splits (around 1 hour)

We need to take the 1:30 water taxi back to the port area.

We will get the last taxi back to the ship at 3PM.

We could take the 12:00 taxi back to port if we need to.

Will we have enough time to enjoy the area?

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Ncboys you are my new favorite poster. I have done so many things in belize but never the beach. Now i am excited. We like to eat the local food so I will find carlos and snorkle if I feel like it. I like the ports that are not so developed.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you tell me who you used to go to San Pedro? We will be there in three weeks and don't know what were doing yet :p

Either Water Taxi will get you there..... both stop at Caye Caulker first and then proceed on to San Pedro.

ncboys thanks for the info. I will be on the Glory with you and Pmeem. I was planning on going to caye caulker and your post makes me feel sure that I want to go. I love the map. It helped put the island into perspective for me. Think we will rent bikes, stop by the bakery for a treat and head out to the split. Not sure if I will snorkel or not. I have my gear out just trying to decide if I want to take it along or not as my boyfriend is not a crazy about the water. He loves the beach though and will love the lazy lizzard too I am sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ncboys -

Is there any chance you could email me the map - I tried to copy and paste it but could not.

My email addy is slotaddict@gmail.com

thanks for your help.

could you forward the map to me as well??? picklehill16933@yahoo.com we will be in Belize 27 Jan 2010 on the NCL Jewel....8-5...thinking of taking the water taxi to Caulker Caye, finding a boat/tour to go out to the reef for a few hours then have lunch at Carlos grilled k bobs, do some snorkeling at the Split, then catch the WT back to ship port....how far is the Water Taxi station to where the ship docks>>> Is the above do-able??

At Caulker Caye, Are there beach chairs and umbrellas for rent for those in your group that do not want to snorkel? :D How often and how long are the water taxi rides to and from the port in Belize to Caulker Caye? Do you know the cost? Are bugs a problem on the island? :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing is far on Caye Caulker, maybe a few blocks. I was afraid to snorkel the split when we were there 3 years ago. It is a narrow channel with quite a few boats passing through. They are supposed to slow down, but they didn't all. Also, you sometimes can't see or hear them until they are right there. As for snorkel opportunities, there are several dive/snorkel operators with booths right there. They are more geared to people staying on the island than to cruise ship schedules, so I wouldn't count on booking something on the spot unless you get there early in the morning. The water taxis are run by a consortium of several boat owners. Ramon of Star Tours is one of them. We booked a snorkel tour through them, and they gave us directions to the water taxi in Belize City for transport. They met us at the dock on Caye Caulker, then we waited for the next water taxi for another couple who didn't make the 9:00. We had no problem, but others on the message boards have reported problems with Star Tours. I think it is mostly a communications issue.

Archived