What do you do about Passports?

fridaythecat.u.k.

Hello everyone,

I was chatting to a colleague today who returned from a Princess cruise a few weeks ago.

She advised me to take a photocopy of our passports (the photograph page) to take on shore with us. She said that this means you can leave your passport in your safe so no chance of losing it, but you will have the info to hand if asked for it when you come back to the ship, although she did say that this is unusual (she was asked for it once on her trip)

I am going on a Rome - Venice cruise in just over 2 weeks (soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited :D)

Do you all think this is good advice? What do you guys do?

I went on a Europe cruise last summer and got the same advice from someone on CC....Didnt ever need to show anyone the copy but it made me feel safer knowing that I wouldnt lose my passport in another country...

Hi friday,

never been asked for id any where, however often carry a photo copy of my passport just in case anything ever happens to me folk will know who I am. However would never take my passport ashore.

yours Shogun

Copy of the passport is fine. If you lose your passport you have some proof to get another.

I would not get off the ship without it. If something where to happen while off the ship, or if you missed the ship, you are stuck with no passport.

You couldn't even get on a plane to fly home.

IMO take it with you, and take the normal precautions of safeguarding it just as you would with any valuables.

By all means have copies of your passport with you in case you lose your actual passport, but take the real thing on shore with you. A copy will be absolutely useless to you in the event you get stuck in a foreign country.

I would take your passport with you. If for some odd reason you miss the ship and it takes off to another country in Europe. You may not be able to fly to catch the ship. I only say maybe as some people I know who were in Europe this summer said they only showed their passports twice. Once leaving the US and once coming back in. They flew to London and took the chunnel train to Paris, so they did not fly between countries.

A picture or copy will help the Embassy in getting you a new passport as your information will be on it.

Copy of the passport is fine. If you lose your passport you have some proof to get another.

I would not get off the ship without it. If something where to happen while off the ship, or if you missed the ship, you are stuck with no passport.

You couldn't even get on a plane to fly home.

IMO take it with you, and take the normal precautions of safeguarding it just as you would with any valuables.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. To be honest being as we are travelling in the EU (mostly, except for Turkey, which I don't think is in yet?!?!??), it didn't even cross my mind to need to take my passport or a copy of it onshore with me. I was too busy thinking of more important things such as what clothes and shoes to take :D (or rather, which NOT to take :rolleyes:)

JFV - I'm just slightly confused by your answer (it doesn't take much to get me confused ;)) - you say a "copy is fine", but then am I correct in thinking you are advising me to take the ACTUAL passport on shore with me? And have the copy as back up if I lose the original?

JFV - I'm just slightly confused by your answer (it doesn't take much to get me confused ;)) - you say a "copy is fine", but then am I correct in thinking you are advising me to take the ACTUAL passport on shore with me? And have the copy as back up if I lose the original?

Yes, take the actual passport on shore.

A copy is handy if you lose the passport and need to get an emergency replacement.

Any better on clarity?

Hi friday,

if you have a copy of your passport and go to the embassy they will from the info on your copy be able to confirm who you are within seconds and issue you with travel papers to get you back home or to the ship.

Once lost passport in Holland back traced my steps, ask locals for biggest police station in area went there and found bloke behind the desk was holding my passport, as I had filled in travel details at each hotel I stayed in, police were able to track my movements so knew where I was staying that night when I got there , there was a message police have your passport, same next hotel and so on.

yours

Shogun

Yes, take the actual passport on shore.

A copy is handy if you lose the passport and need to get an emergency replacement.

Any better on clarity?

Much better, thank you :) and also to Happy2Cruise4Fun and cruiseryyc who posted whilst I was writing my previous response (I am obviously v. slow at typing :D)

I think the benefits of taking the actual passport outweigh the potential cons of losing it on shore.

I would no sooner set foot on foreign soil without a passport on my person than try to bring six ounces of shampoo through airport security. ;0)

Seriously, keep a Xerox in the safe, but bring the real one with you; horrific things happen to the nicest people on the greatest vacations, and not every police officer in the world is honest, kind and helpful, and when it comes time to ensure that you get consular assistance, you're REALLY going to want that little book.

Hi friday,

if you have a copy of your passport and go to the embassy they will from the info on your copy be able to confirm who you are within seconds and issue you with travel papers to get you back home or to the ship.

Once lost passport in Holland back traced my steps, ask locals for biggest police station in area went there and found bloke behind the desk was holding my passport, as I had filled in travel details at each hotel I stayed in, police were able to track my movements so knew where I was staying that night when I got there , there was a message police have your passport, same next hotel and so on.

yours

Shogun

The reason to take it ashore is that you will need it if you have to fly somewhere. This could be if you miss the ship or a health emergency, either to your self or a family member, forces you to fly home.

Told you I got confused easily...... :D

Some conflicting advice here (both of these two posted when I was posting reply to jfv).

Should I start a poll as to which is best - copy or actual :p (only kidding)

We have copies of our passports, in color, with the photos and laminated in the size of a credit card and it has been accepted anywhere we have been asked for id while on shore.

It contains all the pertinent information and fits in the little wallet with the cruise card.

Mike:)

Told you I got confused easily...... :D

Some conflicting advice here (both of these two posted when I was posting reply to jfv).

Should I start a poll as to which is best - copy or actual :p (only kidding)

I think they are both saying the same thing. It's that common language thing.:D

Take the passport with you when you leave the ship.

I think they are both saying the same thing. It's that common language thing.:D

Take the passport with you when you leave the ship.

I thought Shogun was advising against taking the actual passport?

I didn't realise what I thought was a simple question would have so many different, yet valid, points of view!

Hi All,

To be clear copy of passport only ashore real thing locked in ships safe.

Also some times we have too give the ship our passports so you can not always carry it ashore.

yours Shogun

Hi All,

To be clear copy of passport only ashore real thing locked in ships safe.

Also some times we have too give the ship our passports so you can not always carry it ashore.

yours Shogun

Shogun,

Sorry to put the wrong words in your mouth:D

John

Hi John

No need to say sorry.

yours

Shogun

I'm really pleased you guys have kissed and made up.... but I am STILL confused about what to do :D

Think I will take copies with me and decide on the day if I want to take the original or the copy. (then will take those splinters out of my back side from sitting on the fence for so long :D)

Hi There.Friday,

what ever you do have a great Cruise have you got your EU medical card yet. ?

did you say you are going to Istanbul

yours shogun

Oh no...... something else I have not thought about? :eek::eek:

Do I need an EU medical card? Where do I get it - the Post Office? I've got my travel insurance all sorted. Never got an EU medical card before when going to Europe on land-based trips, is that naughty of me?!

We are not going to Istanbul, we are going to EPHESUS (KUSADASI) - just copied and pasted that from My Princess, where I also happened to notice that they still haven't assigned me my upgrade :D They are running out of time, so better get round to it soon ;)

Archived