Which ships (4 day sailings) are best for under-5's?

2preschoolers

My girls are now 2 and 3 1/2 and we're thinking of going on a cruise sometime during the next year. I'm completely overwhelmed at which ships offer what for who! :) We are thinking of a 4 day cruise out of one of the Florida ports. I'm also leaning towards Carnival or NCL b/c their kids programs will allow the 2 yr old to participate. BUT, we could just as easily postpone till next fall, which would make our younger one 3. I've heard only great things about RCCL so if they are best for young ones, we can wait till she's 3 and go with them.

But I hear some ships have kiddle splash areas and some don't. I'd love a ship that has a FUN splash area for the kids. And one that offers fun activities for them throughout the day (especially the "at sea" days). If the ship had a sushi bar, all the better - would keep DH happy! But that's not the most important factor.

Also - food considerations. I don't want them to have to eat burgers and pizza and nuggets for 4 days straight so do all the cruise lines offer them kids choices as well as adult choices? Or are them limited on some cruise lines? And how about drinks - they pretty much live off of Apple Juice, Milk and chocolate Milk. Are these things free on all cruiselines or do some charge?

I guess I'm looking for recommendations as to what cruise line and ship would be best for our family with 2 little girls. I want the adults to enjoy but obviously want my kids to have a blast as well.

Personally I'd wait. I have to say that I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of leaving my two year old with strangers. Once my son was old enough to talk- I then took him on a cruise. He was almost 4. That's just my opinion. I didn't see too many really happy kids in these 2 and under rooms. They have to share the space with babies and it just didn't look fun or entertaining.

Plus- once they are potty trained then they can use the pool, waterslides and such.

You have done your homework. :D Good job.

Yep, Carnival and NCL have kid programs that start at Age 2. Disney, Royal Caribbean (Oasis of the Seas only right now) and Cunard have nurseries.

Carnival changes diapers. NCL pages you for diaper changes.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have in cabin babysitting services for 1 and older.

As far as the "fun water areas" - the only ships with non-potty trained tots water areas are Disney Wonder & Magic, Royal Caribbean Freedom, Liberty and Independence of the Seas.

Once they are potty trained, many different cruise lines and ships have great kids water areas.

Menus - most mainstream cruise lines have kids menus but also allow the child to order off of the adult menu. And some kid menus have thiings like steak on them - so it's not all chicken nuggets and PB&J. :) Drinks like apple juice, white and chocolate milk are free on most maintream cruise lines. Some have lemonade too.

The menus for some lines and the kids club schedules are at the link in my signature.

Have a great cruise! :D

We took my now 4 yr old one the Inspiration right after he turned 3 last January and he loved it. He had never been in daycare so my DH and I were both scared about leaving him in the camp carnival, but they give you a cell phone to carry in case there are any problems (such as if your child is crying and wants his parents, etc). We placed him in the camp and kep watching that phone waiting for it to ring...and you know what - - it never rang and we would peek in the camp carnival window and he was having so much fun. It was so good that we went on a 2nd cruise on the Inspiration last November and my son would jump up and down every time he saw a "big boat commercial" on TV.

As for water areas for non-potty trained...the Inspiration has the Waterworks area where your kids could run and play in fountains and splash areas without being in an actual pool. My DS loved it.

I say don't wait if you can get a good deal book the Inspiration for a 4-day (that was our first and got us all hooked on cruising)!

Look at the Holiday out of Mobile, it has a great little kids Nemo pool, and the child care area is small...and because the ship is smaller its easier to get around with a little one.

Archived