NYC Cityscape

jax

Ok, for those new to the Cunard thread these are the tipping rules to make sure you have a great vacation:

1. When you arrive at the pier tip the long shoreman at least $5/bag ($10 is even better) to make sure your luggage arrives promptly in your stateroom, isn't left out in the rain or "accidently" ends up on another ship.
  2. Remember the gratuity that is added to your daily account is not really a tip and should be viewed as just part of the cruise fare. The pool that the daily gratuity creates is not sufficient to properly reward the staff that takes care of you.
  3. For your room steward you should tip $10/person/day and you should give him/her half the tip on embarkation and let him know that the rest will be coming at the end of the cruise as long as the service is excellent. If you are in Queens Grill accomodation a similar amount should be given to the butler.
  4. If you don't get the table you desire in the dining room an appropriate tip to the maitre d' will usually solve the problem.
  5. Tip your waiter $10/person/day and the bus boy $7.50/person/day...again half up front gets you great service for the entire cruise.

Ok, so it sounds like a lot of money. But the reality is that on the 15 day holiday cruise I will be taking in December the tips will amount to about $1200 for a cruise that will cost Helen and I about $15,000 for QG accomodations or less than 10% of the cost of the cruise. I feel that is a fair amount to pay for excellent service. Some might quibble about up front payments, however I would rather make sure the service is excellent than "hope" that the service will be excellent and complain after the fact if there are problems.

In Queens Grill accomodations the service should be excellent for a $1,000 a day cruise! If you can't get the "legendary" white glove service in QG where are you going to get it? You're already paying over the top for your cruise so are you asking us to believe that you also tip $1,200 as well?

You've either more money than sense or the words Walter Mitty come to mind.

Archived