Chose your cabin number wisely!

This year on the Celebration I decided to prebook a cabin - 370 on deck 3.It was at the end of a row and right next to Reception and the stairs etc.

There were no cabins opposite our door- or so I thought from the deck plan.Little did I realise that there was a cabin directly opposite our door which was used as a general 'staff room' by the cleaners etc so the door was wedged open at 6am and there was a constant stream of staff laughing and chatting from 6am till late into the evening.

Never again.Who wants to be woken up every morning at 6am!

So chose your cabin wisely!

Flopsy

I thought ahead when booking a P and O cruise.They let you choose your cabin for free.

Seeing an empty space next to a prospective cabin I thought uh uh!Cleaning cupboard/cleaners area, and did not book it.Instead I booked a cabin with occupants either side since I would know what I was up against.No consolation to you but your posting has at least raised an awareness of the pitfalls.

Another rule of thumb: Always try and get a cabin with passenger cabins above and below.I have read reviews about cabins below or above theatres or even promenade decks which have been noisy.

Yes we have heard passengers next door ocassionally but never so much as to spoil our cruise.

Incidentally we always book a cabin in the 2 person occupancy area.This reduces the chances of being next to 4 people which risks the chances of potentially noisy families or just doubles the amount of noise.

• 8 months later...
This year on the Celebration I decided to prebook a cabin - 370 on deck 3.It was at the end of a row and right next to Reception and the stairs etc.

There were no cabins opposite our door- or so I thought from the deck plan.Little did I realise that there was a cabin directly opposite our door which was used as a general 'staff room' by the cleaners etc so the door was wedged open at 6am and there was a constant stream of staff laughing and chatting from 6am till late into the evening.

Flopsy

Yes it is opposite the housekeeping main office - the morale to the story is never prebook a cabin opposite or next to a blank space on a ship - some are innocent spaces some are not.

I would have reported this chatting to reception or spoken to the Head Housekeeper who sits in there at the desk though.

Some more examples - the blank space next to 354 on the plan is the Hotel Manager's office.Opposite 361 363 and 365 are the Controller's office and also the Purser's office etc - 662 for example has a crew only room next door to it - 020 has the Hotel Engineer's office next door to it and 089 has a stewards station next to it - I could go on for the whole ship !

weve got 540 any stories (celebration )

540 is a double bedded cabin - the white space next to it and next to 536 is a service cupboard and will cause you no problems in itself.

Please note the following is my opinion and everyone's view is not the same :-

Personally I would not select any of the cabins in this part of the ship due to the engine noise and to a lesser extent the vibration caused by the generator - if you live in a quiet cul de sac or away from noise at night and are a light sleeper then you will probably have some issues particularly at night when the ship is sailing -during the day and when you arrive it will be different - I would recommend you should at least take some quality comfortable ear plugs to be safe unless you are used to sleeping say in a house by a busy main road etc On the positive side 540 is marginally better than 704 which is likewise over 902. I know some people who have been in there and said it was ok but what I do not know is how much they've drunk or what environment they are used to sleeping in. I am sorry this reads not so good but best be prepared just in case you find it not to your liking.

Flopsy

If you had spoken to the help desk I am sure they could have got them to shut up early and late in the day.

Wow - Huddersfieldtourist, you certainly know your way around the ship. I don’t know if you’ve had any input on my previous enquiries – if so, please forgive this repetition. We are (air travel permitting) to be on Celebration in August. We have pre-booked 113 – as close to midships but with a clearer view as possible.

Hoping this won’t be subject to too much ship movement or vibration – can you advise ?

Thanks

Fig

hello - 113 is fine - what I can not tell you is how blocked the view will be by lifeboats - you can see under them ok from most cabins on that deck and it could be that 113 is one of the cabins where there is a gap because there are the odd cabin that has more of an open view than others.Vibration should be not an issue - ship movement likewise unless the sea is particularly rough.

Have a great time

Fab, thanks. From what I can see from close studying of whatever photos I can find of the outside, i think 113 seems to be in a gap between lifeboats - still here's hoping anyway.:)

Edited by FiggyWig

Our first cruise was on the Celebration, so as we had not cruised before we splashed out and treated ourselves to a cabin on Eagle Deck. We had cabin 21 (4 away from yours) and it was fabulous, really big compared with one we had later on a lower deck.

Volcano permitting, you will have a great time. :)

Linda

hi guys. My first cruise is on Thompson celebration in June. We have room 011 on Eagle deck (9). Any thoughts?

Hi

When you going in June? We're on 31st May for 2 weeks got cabin 014. Stayed in 016 and 021 before. These are great cabins really spacious, very light with uninterupted views and loads of wardrobe space. Also quite quiet only noise we had was from a few inconsiderate people going along the corridor from Horizons really late at night.:(

Mary

hi guys. My first cruise is on Thompson celebration in June. We have room 011 on Eagle deck (9). Any thoughts?

These cabins such as 011 are great except occasionally late at night you may get some noise from people leaving Horizons - but the worst of any noise would be for those cabins with the lower numbers.

Hi we're on from the 21st June for 2 weeks. We've been in 009 before and never had noise or anything - even from horizons - good size cabin with a bath and 2 double wardrobes

We've also been in the suite too, again never a problem and have one this time round opposite the last one we had - first one from the lift - the only issue is sometimes we heard the 'bing' as it arrived but got used to it

Jan

I think Celebration and Spirit are identical, we had cabin 12 on deck 9, great cabin plenty of room, very little noise from those leaving Horizons. Our noise problem came from our neighbours next door, when they arrived back at 2/30am, no consideration. When it happened for the second night and we had to be up at 4/30am for the Cairo trip, I had no option than to bang loudly on the dividing wall. Thankfully it stopped immediately.

• 8 years later...
On 7/23/2009 at 1:45 PM, Flopsy said:

Flopsy

Daft question but how did you manage to choose your cabin number? When booking direct with TUI you can only choose cabin type.

On 4/23/2010 at 8:50 PM, Tiggertastic said:

Hi we're on from the 21st June for 2 weeks. We've been in 009 before and never had noise or anything - even from horizons - good size cabin with a bath and 2 double wardrobes

We've also been in the suite too, again never a problem and have one this time round opposite the last one we had - first one from the lift - the only issue is sometimes we heard the 'bing' as it arrived but got used to it

Jan

Hi. We are in Leeds and I see that you have sailed many time so just wondered if you know how to choose a particular cabin on explorer 2? When booking on line with TUI you can only choose cabin type. Thanks.

2 hours ago, henry-root said:

Hi. We are in Leeds and I see that you have sailed many time so just wondered if you know how to choose a particular cabin on explorer 2? When booking on line with TUI you can only choose cabin type. Thanks.

Hi Henry-Root,

These questions have been answered in another thread that you posted in.

As you are quite new to cruise critic, I'll help you out.

Check the date of the last post, example: This thread was last posted on April 23 2010. Don't then reply with a question as 8+ years ago, people will not be looking.

Start a new thread and you will get a better response.

In fact, you probably have more questions to ask, so start a new thread, include some relevant information in there, like which ship, cruise date and itinerary, then ask your questions. We are willing to help and were all newbies once. 

Hope this helps you.