How much time to leave between connecting flights?

patterson3

Just curious because I was originally scheduled to leave Boston at 6:45AM and arrive in Atlanta at 9:30AM with a connecting flight leaving Atlanta at 10:50AM. Then Delta pushed our departure to 7:00AM with a scheduled arrival in Atlanta of 9:50AM and this morning I checked and we are now leaving Boston at 7:15AM and scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 10:11AM. That now leaves us 39 minutes to catch our next flight (as well as our luggage)....

The reason this could be a problem is in Honolulu we are taking a Hawaiian Airlines flight to Maui....

So, I'm just wondering how much of a window is usually a safe amount of time between connections to safely assume you (and your luggage) are going to make the connection?

If your flights are in the same terminal and, barring any delays, you should be ok but I'd call Delta to make sure. We made an international flight once in less than 15 minutes after our flight was delayed 2 hours because of weather. We had to take the tram to the international terminal then run to (what was of course) the last possible gate. We ran, and I mean RAN straight onto the plane, not even stopping when we hit the door. Just held out our boarding passes and the guy grabbed them as we flew by. I never want to do that again!

What month are you traveling? Keep in mind BOS in December can be problematic. I personally wouldn't cut things this close.

Delta is notorious for changing schedules, sometimes with unworkable arrival times or downright impossible connections. Check schedules, find other flights that will leave more conex time (maybe not even through ATL), the call Delta and ask to be rebooked on the flights you selected. I've read on this and other boards they are usually pretty willing to help since they caused the tight connection.

Suggest checking options that connect through LAX, SFO, MSP, SEA or SLC instead of ATL. (Not too familiar with Delta and ex-Northwest routes so some of these cities may not be good connect points).

What month are you traveling? Keep in mind BOS in December can be problematic. I personally wouldn't cut things this close.

Delta is notorious for changing schedules, sometimes with unworkable arrival times or downright impossible connections. Check schedules, find other flights that will leave more conex time (maybe not even through ATL), the call Delta and ask to be rebooked on the flights you selected. I've read on this and other boards they are usually pretty willing to help since they caused the tight connection.

Suggest checking options that connect through LAX, SFO, MSP, SEA or SLC instead of ATL. (Not too familiar with Delta and ex-Northwest routes so some of these cities may not be good connect points).

We are flying out of Boston on November 9th. So we shouldn't have to deal with snow that early in the season, but could be dealing with various other issues....

and luckily the one thing we have going for us is the connecting flight leaves out of the same terminal....

Check schedules, find other flights that will leave more conex time (maybe not even through ATL), the call Delta and ask to be rebooked on the flights you selected. I've read on this and other boards they are usually pretty willing to help since they caused the tight connection.

This.

Find a better routing with good connections (it shouldn't be too hard ex-BOS) and call Delta. Use the term 'involuntary reschedule' and you should be good to go. In my defence I've not tried this with Delta but with AA, United and US Airways (the only carriers I really fly domestically) I've never had a problem getting moved to other flights at no cost.

This.

Find a better routing with good connections (it shouldn't be too hard ex-BOS) and call Delta. Use the term 'involuntary reschedule' and you should be good to go. In my defence I've not tried this with Delta but with AA, United and US Airways (the only carriers I really fly domestically) I've never had a problem getting moved to other flights at no cost.

Thanks for the advise.

Archived