Naples Underground

highseasbabe

There are a few underground Naples tours. We took the Napoli sotteraenea tour near Via Tribuna and loved it. The tour was divided in 2 parts,the 1st part visiting the ruins of Nero's stadium(which was accessed thru a trap door under a bed in a an apartment and exited near a clothesline in a parking lot) and the second part which was the ancient cisterns and tufa quarries 100 metes below the streets of Naples. The ancient waterways were also bomb shelters during the war and at one point were completely filled with garbage.The tour was about 2hrs,kinda physical(steps,cramped)and very interesting. Definitely worth a visit

I couldnt find a link on-line for the tour that we took but I had kept our brochure as a souviener and found the web address on it.

www.napolisotterranea.org

This site has an animated map with walking directions from the pier, and all the other info you asked for. You cannot enter on your own and I believe the cost was about 10E each. At the end of the tour we tried to give our guide a tip and he refused saying that they were not allowed to accept tips.

Thanks Flyingboy, Did you have to make a reservation beforehand or did you just go to the meeting spot?

No reservation required but we did have to wait a few minutes for the english guided tour. The entrance is also quite close to the Capella San Severo which is also worth a visit. In addition to fantastic statuary the lower level has two preserved bodies which ,although gruesome, are very cool.

No reservation required but we did have to wait a few minutes for the english guided tour. The entrance is also quite close to the Capella San Severo which is also worth a visit. In addition to fantastic statuary the lower level has two preserved bodies which ,although gruesome, are very cool.

Thanks again. Sounds like the Capella San Severo is worth the visit. DH will love the gruesome bodies. We're just going to do a walking tour on our own anyway. We're on a mission to find the best pizza in naples. I guess we should see the preserved bodies before we eat.... LOL

I couldnt find a link on-line for the tour that we took but I had kept our brochure as a souviener and found the web address on it.

www.napolisotterranea.org

This site has an animated map with walking directions from the pier, and all the other info you asked for. You cannot enter on your own and I believe the cost was about 10E each. At the end of the tour we tried to give our guide a tip and he refused saying that they were not allowed to accept tips.

This sounds cool. Maybe we will try this if we get done at Pompeii early enough. This is walking distance from the port? I wasn't sure which directions were from the port. (Maybe would be easier if they just had a map.)

Maybe a 30-45 minute walk from port,less from the train station. It is easy to get lost in Naples, I would definitely get a map from the tourist booth before starting out. The people in Naples are great, I was warned by an old lady not to ask directions from young men,and 2 seperate family groups warned me to be careful of my camera! We never had a problem and felt very safe walking,enjoy.

Archived