Tampa hotel help needed. Have 2 hotel booked for pre-cruise in Oct...

clerky96

which reservation should I keep? Our flight doesn't arrive in Tampa until 4:30 pm.

I originally booked the Chase Suites snooze & cruise package. We are flying in, so the free parking does not figure into this. Chase offers both free airport shuttle and free port shuttle (including port to airport on return). The price includes free hot breakfast. The total with tax is $116.

Now I have also booked LaQuinta airport (spruce street) for $43, tax included. They offer free airport shuttle, and charge $10pp ($20) port shuttle. They would pick us up at the port and take us to airport for an additional $20. Price includes free continental breakfast. So now my total for LaQuita is $83. There is a mall within walking distance of the LaQuinta. They will also shuttle us to the mall for free.

Is Chase Suites worth $30+ more than the LaQuinta? Seems like that $30 would pay for our dinner. We have stayed in other LaQuinta's and have always been satisfied with both the hotel and the service.

What do you think?

BTW, both hotels were booked through their websites, so can be cancelled without any penalties.

Unless you're looking for a bit more luxurious hotel room, I'd go with LaQiunta. As long as you can get to Westshore Plaza or International Plaza malls for dining options, it's a slightly better price point, IMO. Breakfast may be a bit better at Chase, but you'll be eating a lot in a few hours anyway. You won't be wrong chosing either one.

We booked the LaQuinta for the same price. We were like you, the Chase looks really good and I am sure would be a nice stay, But we didn't need the parking package (flying in) and because of an early flight out we would feel uncomfortable waiting on a shuttle to take us to the airport. We have never stayed at this LaQuinta before but at the price for one night it made our decision very easy! We always stay at the LaQuinta in Miami when we sail from there. They offer free airport and free port shuttle which is really nice and saves us a lot as well. Aren't these boards the best!;)

Thanks tourlink99. If we decide to venture to the mall, we will probably either ask the hotel shuttle to take us or just take a cab. Sometimes by the time we travel all day we are just ready to flop down in the room and relax.

We stayed at that LaQuinta both pre and post cruise in April. It was fine for the price for a quick stay. Breakfast was basic, prewrapped muffins, etc. But, you are getting on a cruise, so don't fill up and hit the buffet when you board! We didn't use the shuttle to the mall, but they did say they had one. You could walk, but it was a major road to cross. Depending on how tired you are, you could order takeout, we saw several couples around the pool enjoying takeout pizza! You do have to call them when you get to baggage claim, so have the number on you. They were prompt and explained exactly where they would pick us up (apparently some people found it confusing in the past they told us). Also, for our family of 5, it was cheaper to take a cab to the port ($25 plus tip for a van taxi) rather than the $10 pp for their shuttle.

I love this web site. We too also had a reservation at the Chase Suites. I then read this thread, went to the La Quinta web site, and found a room at their hotel on Spruce St. for $35.10 a night (AAA discount). We keep thinking that there must be something wrong with the La Qunita - I can't remember the last time we spent $35 a night for a hotel - but Trip Advisor reviews look good. Thanks everyone!!

j

We also booked this room for $35.10 a night and it doesn't sound bad. If it turns out to be a dump then next time we'll know not to book a cheap one again. Is it true it's hard crossing the street to get to the mall? If so does anyone know what other budget restaurants are in walking distance besides IHOP? (We like them better for breakfast than dinner.)

Thanks but IHOP is already a good place for breakfast. We were looking for a place to have lunch/dinner on Sat afternoon.

Lee Roy Selmons Restaurant is only a block or so away. They have good bbq & homestyle cooking (the side dishes are awesome) & it's not overly expensive. Walk out the hotel such that you're looking across at the mall, turn right, walk 5 minutes or so. It's at the corner of Boy Scout & Lois. You can view the menu at http://www.leeroyselmons.com

Lee Roy Selmons Restaurant is only a block or so away. They have good bbq & homestyle cooking (the side dishes are awesome) & it's not overly expensive. Walk out the hotel such that you're looking across at the mall, turn right, walk 5 minutes or so. It's at the corner of Boy Scout & Lois. You can view the menu at www.leeroyselmons.com

Thank you. That's just the kind of place we're looking for. It looks like we turn right, walk down Spruce and we'll see it ten minutes later.

When are you all going to be staying there??

Oct 3. You too?

Can you give me the name of the La Quinta in Miami where you stay? We are looking at a cruise out of Miami next April and would like a hotel with the shuttle from airport and to pier. What are the prices usually like? Do they include the shuttle service?

Thank you. That's just the kind of place we're looking for. It looks like we turn right, walk down Spruce and we'll see it ten minutes later.

Correct. One note - about a minute into your stroll, the main road you're walking rounds a curve; Spruce St forks off as a small side street & the main road (the big one between you & the mall) becomes Boy Scout Blvd. You want to continue along Boy Scout.

Lee Roy Selmons Restaurant is only a block or so away. They have good bbq & homestyle cooking (the side dishes are awesome) & it's not overly expensive. Walk out the hotel such that you're looking across at the mall, turn right, walk 5 minutes or so. It's at the corner of Boy Scout & Lois. You can view the menu at http://www.leeroyselmons.com

The menu looks great - thanks for the link. It's just the kind of place we were hoping to find. We'll be staying at the La Quinta on Sept. 19.

j

You can also try Miguel's for Mexican food or Rigatonis for Italian. They are both on Kennedy about 10 minutes away. I'm sure the shuttle driver can find them both. They are both worth the trip. By the way, that walk to Leroy Selmons in Oct will probably be in the mid 80's then, as opposed to 90's. You will still look like a sponge by the time you get there.

Mark

Archived