Diving in Belize using Carnival excursion

I am SCUBA diving in Belize for the first time and I am using the dive operator that Carnival has business with. Does anyone know who they are? I like to try and look them up, to see if it whould be cheaper to do it on my own. Just nervous about diving here. Never done it before and I am concerned about diving w/an independent tour operator. Concerned about getting to and from the port on my own is it really. Second question is I have read somewhere the Carnival operator tenders to the boat and picks you up and then we go diving. Is ths true and am I mistaken. I am only asking due to the fact that I would have to make different plans for meeting people I am going with while in Belize. Planned on meeting them at the port. If the tour operator DOES tender to the ship and picks us up do they tender us back or do we go to the port then tender using the regular tender boats. Thanks for any help on this

I am SCUBA diving in Belize for the first time and I am using the dive operator that Carnival has business with. Does anyone know who they are? I like to try and look them up, to see if it whould be cheaper to do it on my own. Just nervous about diving here. Never done it before and I am concerned about diving w/an independent tour operator. Concerned about getting to and from the port on my own is it really. Second question is I have read somewhere the Carnival operator tenders to the boat and picks you up and then we go diving. Is ths true and am I mistaken. I am only asking due to the fact that I would have to make different plans for meeting people I am going with while in Belize. Planned on meeting them at the port. If the tour operator DOES tender to the ship and picks us up do they tender us back or do we go to the port then tender using the regular tender boats. Thanks for any help on this

They use Hugh Parkey which is a decent operation. Our biggest problem is diving with the ship is cattle boat diving - NOT FUN! Our last excursion when we on the Legend was less than desireable. Unaware divers destroying fans and sponges. People unaware of those above and below them. It was not fun. Dive in Cozumel you will enjoy it more.

You can dive with a private dive op but most of them will not even take your booking unless you have 4 people. Some people take a flight to Ambergris Caye.

They go to Turneffe Atoll which is no where close to being as magnificent a dive spot as Cozumel. You would be better off planning a dive trip to Belize so you can spend time on Ambergris Caye or some of the other better dive spots.

We have used the ships excursion twice in Belize. The day prior on both occaisions we did a 2 tank dive in Cozumel. We found Turneffe Atoll boring after Cozumel. On Legend cruise last November we chose not to dive in Belize.

What are your other ports of call? Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan are better places to dive if you are on a cruise ship. More varied corals, fans and sponges, beautiful fish, better dive locations and logistically easier to set up your own dive trips.

My husband just did this dive off the Carnival Valor. It was full and they had 8 divers with one dive master, but he enjoyed the dive nonetheless. They picked the divers up and dropped them off at the ship, saving lots of time tendering into the dock.

My husband just did this dive off the Carnival Valor. It was full and they had 8 divers with one dive master, but he enjoyed the dive nonetheless. They picked the divers up and dropped them off at the ship, saving lots of time tendering into the dock.

Parkey's is a very good dive op. We had 20 divers when we did it off the Legend. Logistically it works well but it was not impressive after a day in Cozumel. JMHO

I appreicate your opinion and your honesty. I HAVE dived in Cozumel before and I wanted to try Belize, so this is my chance. As far as Roatan, I'm diving there as well. So that will take care of that. I want to dive everywhere at least once, so This trip will take care of Belize and Roatan. As far my tendering question, thank you for answering. I guess even it is cattle diving, I just think a ship excursion is alot easier then doing on my own in a foreign country. I know you pay more but less to plan out. Again thank you and enjoy your dives

I dove with Hugh Parkey through Carnival a couple years ago. One of the major advantages of this trip as opposed to using an independent operator (like I usually do) was that they actually picked you up straight from the ship. This saved lots of tendering time (both ways) and simplified things quite a bit. It was a "cattle boat", for sure, but they divided the groups up and as far as cattle boat experiences go it was as good as I think one could expect. The diving was fine, not magnificent, and not terrible. The staff were very helpful and friendly. As a single woman traveling alone (well, I'm married, and my mom came on the cruise but she was off doing something else) it was also much safer than other options (tendering in and making my way to a distant dive shop) might have been. Would do it again.

Yes that was the impression I was figuring on as well. I expect exactly what you said and expect nothing less. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to it and have only 56 days to go. Which is killing me! Thank you again.

• 2 months later...
They go to Turneffe Atoll which is no where close to being as magnificent a dive spot as Cozumel. You would be better off planning a dive trip to Belize so you can spend time on Ambergris Caye or some of the other better dive spots.

We have used the ships excursion twice in Belize. The day prior on both occaisions we did a 2 tank dive in Cozumel. We found Turneffe Atoll boring after Cozumel. On Legend cruise last November we chose not to dive in Belize.

What are your other ports of call? Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan are better places to dive if you are on a cruise ship. More varied corals, fans and sponges, beautiful fish, better dive locations and logistically easier to set up your own dive trips.

Mari - what dive op do you like in Cozumel?

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Sea Sports Belize.

http://www.seasportsbelize.com/

I have used them before and they are awesome. We were near the ships excursion operator for 1/3 the cost and they provided lunch as well which we enjoyed on a small fishing island. Oddly enough there was a skeleton of a beached whale on the island which just made the experience that much more memorable.

Archived