Laundry "bag" deal...

I agree with MamaParrotHead, my vacation, I'm NOT doing laundry. My husband rolls things up tightly, we get alot of clothes in there for the money, have never used a plastic bag.

We usually get socks, undies, capries, t shirts and polo shirts done, have NEVER had them send anything back without being washed.

If others choose to do laundry on their trip that is their thing, but I'll get my exercise in my own way and it's NOT doing laundry:D

Carole

Oh, and reason why we would do laundry once on the ship is because...

I don't like the idea of traveling home with suitcases full of dirty, stinky clothes!:o

It used to be that we'd travel with so many clothes that it could be avoided. Now, we have to pay $25 per suitcase (I think it is $50 for the 2nd bag!) so we pack very carefully and it can be a lot, lot cheaper to simply do a load of laundry and wear something twice, rather than pay a lot more for luggage. Plus, it makes it easier for us to travel as there is more room in the rental car.

Like I said before, we rarely just travel to do a cruise, we usually spend 2 -7 days extra around the cruise doing beach stuff/amusement parks/sight seeing/Disney. So, laundry for us is important. Although we now get free laundry from CCL, Princess doesn't offer it (I used their laundry room for one load two weeks ago in Alaska) and RCL doesn't even offer self serve laundry.I am waiting for the day where they take out the machines and turn them into inside cabins.:(

I forgot to add that the last two times we used the laundry room, we made our two teenage daughter do most of the work. We called it "earning their keep". They sat in the room waiting for the clothes to dry while wife and I went to the art auction to load up on free cheap champagne:D

My husband rolls the clothes so tightly' date=' he fits a TON in there! What we put in ONE of their bags to get cleaned, comes back in 3 to 4 bags! SOOOO worth it to me!!!![/quote']

My husband also does the rolling and packing of the dirty laundry. His Army training comes in pretty darn handy :D. We get all of our shorts, undies, t-shirts etc. cleaned for $15.

Its a great deal for us, and I am in agreement with the others.... I am NOT doing laundry while on vacation, but that's just my opinion ;).

Oh, and reason why we would do laundry once on the ship is because...

I don't like the idea of traveling home with suitcases full of dirty, stinky clothes!:o

It used to be that we'd travel with so many clothes that it could be avoided. Now, we have to pay $25 per suitcase (I think it is $50 for the 2nd bag!) so we pack very carefully and it can be a lot, lot cheaper to simply do a load of laundry and wear something twice, rather than pay a lot more for luggage. Plus, it makes it easier for us to travel as there is more room in the rental car.

That is my take exactly. I'm not a neat freak, just find travelling home with dirty clothes distasteful. I can always find a couple of hours to do this. I just let DW sleep in. As others have said, it depends on when you try to wash. The later you get in the cruise the busier it gets. I also use the time to do some touch up ironing. Gonna have to remember to take my own soap powder next time.

Jim

I asked a while ago about the laundry deal that happens mid-week, and someone had the brilliant idea of rolling/folding the laundry tight, putting it in a ziploc bag and the ziploc into the paper bag provided. Any thoughts on what size ziplocs to bring along for this?

Thanks!;)

We got 2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of his shorts, 2 pair of my capris and 7 shirts for 10 bucks. I thought it was awesome.

DH travels alot and he rolls all of his and my clothes. You can get more in a smaller space.

I can't believe no one has said anything about clothes shrinking or fading if they wash everything in the bag at the same time. Do they also wash other people's clothes in the same washer? I guess I am just picky, but I don't want anyone else washing my clothes.

We drive to the ports so don't really have to worry about how much the luggage weighs, never needed to wash clothes on a cruise.

We did go to Alaska for two weeks (didn't cruise), two of us with 3 suitcases. I packed a ziplock bag for each day for each of us with a t-shirt, underwear, and socks. End of the day we put the dirty clothes back in the bag and marked a D on it so we could tell the difference between the clean and dirty clothes. Worked great, didn't have to wash clothes, didn't have to keep repacking the suitcase. Just neat rolled up bags. :)

Last cruise I was platinum we gets you the sack of free laundry each day. Since there was 4 of us we had to use our packing skills to get the laundry

for 4 in the bag. If you fold and roll it you will be surprise how much you

can get in one sack.

Before we hit platinum, we would pay the $15 special as it was worth the $$.

The washers were always busy and the dryers took for ever in humid conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

HAL has a deal where you pay up front for unlimited laundry. I wish all cruise lines would do that. We paid $70 and it was SO worth it!

Also, when you hit VIP status on Carnival, your laundry, wash/fold only, is free. If you plan for that it can help with packing. We only sent items like undies, t-shirts and shorts.

Also always pack Downey Wrinkle-release! Fabulous stuff.

Shay

HPIM0505.jpg.a3847858fe0bac90741c73907d222ad1.jpg

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO MAKE LARGER.

This is how much we put into the bag on our last RCCL cruise....and if im not mistaken it was 20$ for the same size bag. and actually you really would be surprised how much you can fit. and im no small lady here....so naturally my clothes are larger. but id say we got 90% of our dirty clothes cleaned. nothing was sent back or ruined or lost. very good deal. i think it is like a road trip vs a plane ride.....you pay extra for the convinience!

HPIM0502.jpg.6b516b3fdfea22f444ba141130756c34.jpg

here is a pic of the actual bag....apparently we had a plastic bag, but if i reacall correctly, it was very weak plastic and didnt give much room before ripping jsut like a paper bag. lol the bag was proabably no more then the size of a large ziploc to begin with....maybe it did give a little, lol.

I'm sad enough coming home but facing mounds of laundry just makes it more depressing. The first thing I thought of when I saw those Purex all in one sheets... is great for my cruise laundry.

We are early risers and have never had a problem doing laundry at 6 am. We throw in a load every morning, pack it into my ziplock bags, into my suitcase and it makes that so sad last night a little easier.

I do not mind taking some time to do my own laundry, much better than shelling out a lot of money for them to do it. That bag holds hardly anything, so I would need a few more bags and I doubt the deal would be for more than one bag.

I do not mind taking some time to do my own laundry, much better than shelling out a lot of money for them to do it. That bag holds hardly anything, so I would need a few more bags and I doubt the deal would be for more than one bag.

I asked a while ago about the laundry deal that happens mid-week, and someone had the brilliant idea of rolling/folding the laundry tight, putting it in a ziploc bag and the ziploc into the paper bag provided. Any thoughts on what size ziplocs to bring along for this?

Thanks!;)

Don't worry about the Ziploc bags. You can fit a lot of clothes in this bag. One time I even requested two bags. I think it is a nice service and great that they offer it. Don't have them wash something that you would be heart broken if it got ruined or if the item is of a delicate nature. There were four of us and we just washed underwear and tshirts. Worked out great.

Thanks!;)

Sounds like an idea! Me...I tend to squeeze as much as I can into that grocery store sized bag, and end up tearing the bag down the sides...until one day, a family member said, "why don't you use the coin laundry?" It costs 2 bucks to wash and 2 bucks to dry [actually quarters]....took an hour out of my late evening activities....they were right...and I have given up on the wash and fold bag of laundry. Now they have those neat sheets that have the detergent and fabric static cling/softner built in...makes cruise life a lot easier and cheaper!;)

Sounds like an idea! Me...I tend to squeeze as much as I can into that grocery store sized bag, and end up tearing the bag down the sides...until one day, a family member said, "why don't you use the coin laundry?" It costs 2 bucks to wash and 2 bucks to dry [actually quarters]....took an hour out of my late evening activities....they were right...and I have given up on the wash and fold bag of laundry. Now they have those neat sheets that have the detergent and fabric static cling/softner built in...makes cruise life a lot easier and cheaper!;)

I will probably use the laundromat myself this trip so that I can take half the clothes. Most of mine are delicate, so I'd rather control the water temp and take a couple of hours out to do that (I like to stay up late anyway). I've used the washer/dryer sheets and LOVE THEM. They come in a plastic container of about 20 and are permeated with the soap/softener, so take out how many you think you need and put into a zip lock bag. Then they won't take up any room at all.

Ah, to each his own, but please read post #14. Never again will I waste my precious, hard-earned, once every-other-year cruising time lifting a finger to do laundry.

Well, after sightseeing and sweating for three days in Rome, I think I can find a couple of hours out of a 12-day cruise to wash a new things...........:D

And no, they don't refuse to wash anything, I just don't want delicate fabrics washed in boiling hot water. My kids have used the laundry facilities many time with no problems, but to their dismay, they are not coming to the Mediterranean and Rome with me. I imagine that the laundry facilities on the brand new DREAM will work okay.

Archived