Thanksgiving day cruise

ssbearsfan

Hi there,

I am leaving on the Destiny on Thanksgiving Day. Does anyone know if there is anything special Carnival does for a Thanksgiving Day meal? Also, as excited as I am to sail on her, I am flying out of Chicago O'hare the day before, which is supposedly the worst day to fly of the year, and I am not looking forward to it. Both myself and my girlfriend are teachers so we have to work a half day and are taking the last flight to Miami of the day (745pm). Do you think the airport will still be a disaster at that time?

My family and I were on the Glory last year over Thanksgiving. Can't tell you about the airport, but the ship was decorated for Christmas and they had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on the menu, along with other choices.

My wife is very fussy about Thanksgiving dinner and she was the only person in our family who ordered it!

She thought it was great.

Have a great cruise, and please post a review, my wife and I are planning a cruise on Destiny in February.

As far as your travel, yes, arrive at least 2 hours early. Were it me, I would leave school, get my already-packed-cruise-stuff and boogy to the airport, unless you live in Des Plaines or Park Ridge or Rosemont, of course. Just GET there and get in line.

If you are traveling with carry-on luggage only (though I don't know how when cruising), get your boarding pass on-line so you can go to security, OR check out the sky cap line. Yep, you have to tip, but it might be worth the $$ to get to/through security faster... just a suggestion there.

Once I get through security then that's when I breathe a sign of relief...

You're going to LOVE Destiny... we disembarked from her on Thanksgiving Day last year and loved it. The ship was decorated for the holidays and everything... very nice!

Carnival had special place mats and a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings including pumpkin pie dessert as a dinner option. It was a fabulous meal. We have cruised on Thanksgiving day just once. We are leaving the Fri after T'giving this year. It's one of the least busy weeks for the cruise lines, as kids have to be back in school that Monday.

Enjoy your Turkey Day At Sea !

Yes, they offered a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving.

Just be prepared for a lot of kids. For some unexplained reason....the kid levels over Thanksgiving rival the summer numbers.

I'm also cruising on Destiny on Thanksgiving Day. I'm glad to hear there will be a traditional Thanksgiving option on the menu.

As for the airport, we are also traveling the day before, but are planning to be at the airport by 11am for our 3:15 flight. We also made arrangements to be dropped off/picked up by a friend, rather than attempt to find parking in the long term lot at the airport. Additionally, we chose to fly into Fort Lauderdale (a much smaller, efficient airport) than Miami. One of my traveling companions lives in Fort Lauderdale, so she'll be able to pick us up when we arrive. I've flown in and out of FLL many times and I'm always amazed at how quickly I can get from the curb to the gate. I have to give myself at least 2 hours in my home DC airport, but in FLL, I can make it through in 20 minutes or less (non holiday).

I'm also cruising on Destiny on Thanksgiving Day. I'm glad to hear there will be a traditional Thanksgiving option on the menu.

As for the airport, we are also traveling the day before, but are planning to be at the airport by 11am for our 3:15 flight. We also made arrangements to be dropped off/picked up by a friend, rather than attempt to find parking in the long term lot at the airport. Additionally, we chose to fly into Fort Lauderdale (a much smaller, efficient airport) than Miami. One of my traveling companions lives in Fort Lauderdale, so she'll be able to pick us up when we arrive. I've flown in and out of FLL many times and I'm always amazed at how quickly I can get from the curb to the gate. I have to give myself at least 2 hours in my home DC airport, but in FLL, I can make it through in 20 minutes or less (non holiday).

I would much rather fly to FLL myself also, but figured the money I would be saving on airfare through Southwest rather than AA would just be spent on a cab. We are being dropped off - I don't want to pay nor do i want to deal with parking. O'hare is possibly the worst run airport in the world and I am not looking forward to it. Normally it would take an hour to get to O'hare from my house, but I am planning on a two hour drive. I figure if I leave at 2pm it should be enough time for my 7:30 flight.

I cannot wait to get on the ship and put the whole flying experience behind me.

I agree - ORD sucks! Hopefully there won't be another mother nature meltdown over Thanksgiving like a few years ago. Everyone who was flying was affected by the ice storms.

I fly way too much, but I can tell you this much......I will not be flying over Thanksgiving. I don't care if they are giving away seats at $50 a person, I am not subjecting myself to all the clueless travelers. It's chaotic. You can see the question marks above people's heads.

UGH! I'll just deal with my 20 hour drive.

Hi there,

I am leaving on the Destiny on Thanksgiving Day. Does anyone know if there is anything special Carnival does for a Thanksgiving Day meal? Also, as excited as I am to sail on her, I am flying out of Chicago O'hare the day before, which is supposedly the worst day to fly of the year, and I am not looking forward to it. Both myself and my girlfriend are teachers so we have to work a half day and are taking the last flight to Miami of the day (745pm). Do you think the airport will still be a disaster at that time?

We were on the Victory the week of Thanksgiving. We left out of Chicago to Puerto Rico, and yes the airports were very busy. As far as Thanksgiving, the dining room does serve Turkey with a VERY small portion of stuffing, potatoes and gravy . It was like a tiny scoop of each on the plate with the slice of turkey over it. Not quite what I'm used to for Thanksgiving. But it was fine. When we got home, I cooked a turkey and all the fixings, so we had our real "Thanksgiving dinner" a week later.

Hi there,

Personally, I wouldn't cruise at this time but since you are....I would say fly only with carry on, expect delays and next time cruise over the summer....you did say teachers righ?

And have Plan B at the ready. Maybe a B & B or even try a home cooked meal. You can always reschedule if need be. BTW, you said teachers...how many nights is the cruise? 3 nights? Do you get an extended Thanksgiving holiday break where you teach? If not, have a lesson plan ready for the sub. on Monday.

Since it will be hectic at airport and bags get lost why not just FedEx or UPS your luggage to the Hotel you will be staying at. That way you would just have your carry on to worry about plus you can track your luggage on line. Just arrange it through your Hotel. Just an idea.

Since it will be hectic at airport and bags get lost why not just FedEx or UPS your luggage to the Hotel you will be staying at. That way you would just have your carry on to worry about plus you can track your luggage on line. Just arrange it through your Hotel. Just an idea.

That is a good idea but if they are delayed or cancelled at the airport and can't get out until Thursday AM, they would have to get to the hotel or do something to get their luggage to the ship. They are teachers and I will venture to guess they need to be back to school the early part of the following week (how many days is this cruise...4 or 5?) so I say better to be safe and just do carry on. I can be done..casual attire and simple sun dresses would be all that is required. They will be wearing the heavy clothes anyway.:)

Hi there,

Lucky you! I looked at that cruise and almost booked (for 3 of us) until I found the airfare (from Louisville) was more than I would pay for the cruise! :(

Having flown and picked people up at the airport on thanksgiving, it will be a disaster, but as others have said get there as early as you possible can. The Idea of sending a bag ahead by fed ex would also make the trip much nicer. good luck and have fun.

John

Archived