Route from Amsterdam to Koln

TomMMD

I can't quite figure out how our Amadeus river boat will get from Amsterdam to the Rhine River. (Our first stop it Koln, Germany)

Amsterdam is not on the Rhine but Rotterdam is. Do we go along the shore from Amsterdam to Rotterdam?

Out of Amsterdam you will most likely sail south through "Amsterdam-Rijn-kanaal", which as the name says is a canal going into river rhine.

Near Vianen you will get at the river and sail east passed places like Arnhem (famous by the move one bridge too far), pass the border into Germany at Lobith, sail by Dusseldorf into Cologne.

You leave Amsterdam on the Amsterdam - Rhine canal which was completed in the 1950's. You go through a series of locks and you are then on the Rhine. At Mainz (Germany) you leave the Rhine and go through a lock to enter the Main River. Days later you enter the Main - Danube Canal (completed in 1993) to finally arrive on the Danube River . From Amsterdam to Budapest you pass through something like 68 - 69 locks . Three (3) locks at the peak of the Continental Divide (on the Main / Danube Canal) are each 81 feet high , and in the river boat it is like being in the bottom of an elevator shaft .

This is all great stuff. It's information that the boatline should have included.

This is my first river cruise and the information on the trip is paltry compared to what you get on ocean cruises.

kuldali

You seem to have taken the same trip we are talking (We're on he Amalegro)

What can you tell me about the daily excursions, the activities onboard, etc.?

(I started to try to email you directly but then decided others might like to hear the ansswer, too.)

Archived