Arecibo radio telescope?

capncarp

Has anyone visiting PR ever made a trip to see the huge bowl-shaped radio telescope outside of Arecibo? Is it even open to the public?

Inquiring Space-Geek Minds want to know!:rolleyes:

My wife and I both work in Aerospace and were looking to visit Arecibo while in PR during our June 2010 cruise. I Googled it and found their website. They have regular visitor hours, a visitor center and other exhibits. The price of admission was very reasonable.

I have been there. If you are really into astronomy/science fairs, you will like it. The "huge bowl shaped telescope " is less than spectacular.... (kind of like a large dirty bowl).

If you are a real natural science geek (light reflection, astronomy, astroids, gravity type science exhibits) you will find it interesting. But it is really only tops 2 hrs of your time. I would find something else to do in the area (the caves if you are early enough and here the right days of the week) or the Outlets etc to help fill the day.

My husband and I spent 2 precruise days in San Juan and we rented a car and drove to Arecibo to see the telescope. It is awesome! It isn't hard to find, and the drive is mostly freeway (once you get out of San Juan) to Arecibo, then you'll drive thru jungle a bit and then, "wow".

Archived