Anyone have panama canal island patters?

elou

WE are thinking about doing one of these cruises to the Panama Canal with the specials now for them. How far into the Canal do you actually go and do you disembark? Thanks for any input on this!!

If you go round trip FLL you go as far as Gatun Lake and then around. If you go FLL to LA you make a complete transit of the Canal.

I think I have read that there is a train and a small ship than does coast to coast if you only do a partial.

Hope this helps.

If you go round trip FLL you go as far as Gatun Lake and then around. If you go FLL to LA you make a complete transit of the Canal.

I think I have read that there is a train and a small ship than does coast to coast if you only do a partial.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but from where do you do these tours?

Thanks, but from where do you do these tours?

Keeping in mind that I have not done these, I think I have read on these boards that you book through Princess. You on the excursion are the only ones who are debarked for the excursion.

Perhaps someone who has actually participated can post more information.

Keeping in mind that I have not done these, I think I have read on these boards that you book through Princess. You on the excursion are the only ones who are debarked for the excursion.

Perhaps someone who has actually participated can post more information.

Yes, this kind of answers my question. I looked at the excursions and couldn't quite understand how they worked. This makes sense. I guess you tender to the excursions? Thank you!

Good info from jkv379! When you do a partial (through the first lock to Gatun Lake), you tender to take the shore excursions.

Some pax were mad because only those with shore excursions booked were allowed to tender off.

At least that was the way it was for us some years ago. There was a lot of time just sitting in Gatun Lake so it's best to take some sort of shore excursion. We did the "Up Close" on a barge of some sort ... can't remember the exact name ... but we enjoyed it.

The full transit is different. There was (entering from the Caribbean side) at the end of the transit a stop where everyone could get off in Fuerte Amodor (close to Panama City). I didn't pay any attention to how the shore excursions were done on the full because going through the canal all day was enough for us.

Hope this is of some help. Maybe someone who has taken it more recently will also reply.

We did the partial transit on the Island in February / March of this year. Only passengers who purchased Princess excursions were able to tender off the ship in Gatun lake. We went on the Panama Canal by Boat Excursion where we went through the 3 remaining locks all the way to the Pacific, then we bussed back to Cristobal. There were other excursions for hikes, boat trips around Gatun lake, bus trips to a "native" Indian village, etc. Those who stayed on were able to get off the ship in Cristobal where they had a lot of vendors selling wares including "naked people selling T-Shirts" which had been joked about by Billy Vader during one of the shows on board. You aren't allowed to leave the port nor would you want to as Cristobal appears to be pretty rough, and you are only there for a couple of hours anyway.

I do have Patters from the cruise, and the production shows were basically identical to the same ones that we had 3 months later on the Grand (Motor City, etc.) with the exception of Adrian Zmed (and I'm not sure if he is still there). The shows do rotate, so I'm not sure they would be the same once you embarked on your sailing. But if you're interested, I can pull them out and list the day by day entertainment.

azbirdmo,

Would you consider posting the patters on cruise dailies? What they have are a few years old and none are from the Island. We'll be taking this same cruise in Oct. and would love to see the Patters. Otherwise whatever you feel like posting would be great! Thanks.

We were on the Island in March '09 FLL RT. The shows we had were:

• Piano man – Princess Theater (repeated)
  • Cabaret Showtime – Universe Lounge
  • Scott Alexander (magic/comedy) – Universe Lounge (repeated)
  • Steve Carte – Universe Lounge
  • Billy Vader - Comedy Showtime – Princess Theater (repeated)
  • Tribute – IP Dancers – Universe Lounge
  • Do You Wanna Dance – Princess Theater
  • Glenn Hirsch – Comedy Showtime – Universe Lounge
  • Motor City Musical – Princess Theater
  • Classical Concert String Quartet – Universe Lounge

We didn’t take them all in but we liked Vader and Alexander; Motor City and Tribute were a bit too loud for our taste but the theater was full so they were popular.

Enjoy the Canal and remember those “secret" viewing spots fore and aft on Caribe and Baja decks.

azbirdmo,

Would you consider posting the patters on cruise dailies? What they have are a few years old and none are from the Island. We'll be taking this same cruise in Oct. and would love to see the Patters. Otherwise whatever you feel like posting would be great! Thanks.

Since I started this thread, I would be so grateful to see the patters. Thanks so much.

Pacificlander & elou, I'd be happy to help but am not quite sure how to get these to you. I could create pdf files and send them (if you can wait until the weekend when I have some time to devote to this project), I would just need an email address. I checked the cruise dailies site and believe they wanted a link, so if someone can post these, I'll put them into files.

Azbirdmom.

I think (although not completely sure) that the link they want is probably something like Flikr or Webshots where you scan and upload to that site.

I don't want to make you work too hard! If you have any easy way to share them I'd love to see them but please don't do it if it becomes a project. I'll just wait till I board in Oct.

My email address is under contacts in my profile.

Thanks!

Linda

Enjoy the Canal and remember those “secret" viewing spots fore and aft on Caribe and Baja decks.

Don't mean to piggy back the thread but could you tell me where the "secret" viewing spots are.

Thanks

B & T

• 3 weeks later...
Since I started this thread, I would be so grateful to see the patters. Thanks so much.

ELOU, if you are still interested, I have scanned all that I have (the first 9 days) to pdf files. Just let me know how to get them to you. I've already started e-mailing them to PACIFICISLANDER, and if you want me to send them to you that way, they are very large. Or if there is someplace that I can upload them to, I'd be happy to do that too. And I'm sorry for the delay - work has kept me offline for the last couple of weeks.

I'd love to receive them by e-mail, but how do I give you my e-mail without putting it on this board. Since I'm not to computer savy, this may sound foolish to you. Help would be appreciated. Thanks AZBIRDMOM.

Sorry about the delay in getting to your questions. Those "secret" viewing spots are al the way forward throurh an unmarked door and then about 20 feet later the door to a ship wide balcony. When we were there in April '09 they were not restricted areas. These are on Caribe and Baja decks only. If you walk all the way aft there is a smaller balcony. There were only a few people there when we passed through the three chambers/locks entering into Gatun Lake.

Hope this helps.

I'd love to receive them by e-mail, but how do I give you my e-mail without putting it on this board. Since I'm not to computer savy, this may sound foolish to you. Help would be appreciated. Thanks AZBIRDMOM.

I know - that's the dilemma! You're not foolish as you can get a lot of junk by putting your email out there.

I can tell you that I have emailed them to pacificislander, drdaddy and shirtman. You might want to check out this post and send them an email to see if they would mind emailing them to you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20846185&posted=1#post20846185

Both of their email addresses are in the posts . Or you can write to pacificislander on this thread to see if she will forward them to you.

Archived