Traveling with hypodermic needles.

Marebear

I have done the TSA website information lookup but am unclear about what I have read. I am not a diabetic, but do have to give myself an injection every day and will be carrying an insulated bag on my trip to Europe to go on a cruise filled with icepacks, an injection pen, needles, swabs and a sharps container along with a letter from my doctor. I know I must tell security before I go through that I have them and must show the bag to security. Is there anything else I must do or have with me?

Thank you,

Mary

I have done the TSA website information lookup but am unclear about what I have read. I am not a diabetic, but do have to give myself an injection every day and will be carrying an insulated bag on my trip to Europe to go on a cruise filled with icepacks, an injection pen, needles, swabs and a sharps container along with a letter from my doctor. I know I must tell security before I go through that I have them and must show the bag to security. Is there anything else I must do or have with me?

Thank you,

Mary

The one thing you didn't mention (maybe because it's obvious to you!) is that you carry prescriptions for your medication(s) and for your needles.

When I've travelled with my meds, I've packed everything that I can into clear zip bags that I can "wave" at the security folks. Generally I'll just say something like "I have injectible meds here and the needles..." and they'll wave me through.

I hope that works as well for you!

Hi, I too am on an injectable pre-filled syringe med - fortunatley I only have to inject every other week so you have sympathies. Here is the reply I received form DHS/TSA BUT my syringes need to be kept cool constantly, so my concern also surrounding the gel-coolpacs for storage/ packing.

"Thank you for your email message concerning your questions about traveling with injectable medications.

The guidance for carrying injectable medications is similar to the guidance provided for travelers with injectable medications for diabetes. We encourage you to ensure that your medications are properly labeled with professionally printed labels identifying the medication or a manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label. If you have medical documentation regarding your medical condition, you may present this information to the screener to help inform him or her of your situation. This documentation is not required and will not exempt you from the screening process.

You should always notify your air carrier of any special needs before you arrive at the airport and request their assistance with these needs. This should include any assistance you will need with connecting flights. You can report problems encountered while traveling by calling the TSA Contact Center, toll free at 1-866-289-9673.

As changes and enhancements to aviation security are implemented TSA publicizes Traveler Tips in local and national media, as well as on its website at www.tsa.gov , to aid travelers with the enhanced screening processes.

We hope this information was helpful.

The TSA Contact Center"

The originating e-mail address was:

TSA-ContactCenter@DHS.gov

Regards,

Leah RN

My dog is a frequent flier. He loves to go to FL and NY with me. (He rides under the seat in front of me)

Max is a diabetic and I carry his insulin and needles in my carry on. I have never had a TSA agent question it or even blink twice.

I have heard that a letter from a doctor would be needed but I have never been asked for that either.

I guess nobody wants a lawsuit lol.

I guess you'll have to spell it out for me. What does a lawsuit (where he put LOL) have to do with crashing into buildings. The subject was taking needles for diabetic medication on board, going through the TSA checkpoint and them not having a problem with the needles. Ok, so the TSA lets you take your needles cos they don't want a lawsuit.... you know, making it so someone can't take their lifesaving medication.... and WHAT does that have to do with 9/11?

I guess you'll have to spell it out for me. What does a lawsuit (where he put LOL) have to do with crashing into buildings. The subject was taking needles for diabetic medication on board, going through the TSA checkpoint and them not having a problem with the needles. Ok, so the TSA lets you take your needles cos they don't want a lawsuit.... you know, making it so someone can't take their lifesaving medication.... and WHAT does that have to do with 9/11?

ok, i'll try to make it as simple as possible.

they are concerned about needles being used as weapons. got it?

I concur that needles could be used as weapons.

But stopping people from bringing them on board the aircraft could result in a lawsuit. Its a bit of a catch 22.

I see your point and I wasnt thinking that far past the scope of the a medical need for the needles and people raising hell if they think their rights are being violated.

So I should have left off that comment and stuck with the question instead of trying to be funny.

Can we all be friends now? :D

I always have a small freezer brick in w/ my syringes & TSA does look but lets it pass every time. I even had a BIG brick w/ my spares in a lunchbox & nothing was said.

Steve

Archived