Camp Carnival ages 2-5 question

cprofits

We're sailing with Carnival next month. We're experienced cruisers but haven't been with Carnival for a while. My son will be a few months shy of turning 6.

If you've been on a Carnival ship recently with a child that is five years old, what did you think of the mix of the activities in that age group?

The ability level/interest of a two year old and an almost six year old seem so vastly different that I'm concerned how they can be expected to be entertained by the same things.

Thanks.

I have this same concern. My 5 year old will be about 10 days shy of turning 6 when we cruise on Carnival Freedom in September and I would really like to move him up to the 6 to 8 year old camp. Last September when we cruised RCCL Liberty he had just turned 5 so I didn't request to move him up and he would want to be a little more active than the 3 to 5 age group and it caused some problems.

We cruised on the Fantasy in Feb. and my son turned 6 in May. They did let him move up to the 6-8 area. I'm not sure if they allowed this because he has autism or if they do it for anyone, but he wanted to play video games and that is where they were. It can't hurt to ask!

Let me first say that the moving up in age groups is dependent on 2 things. The amount of children in each age group on your sailing and additude (yours AND theirs). If you go to ask make sure you do it knowing that the answer may be no and you'll make out better then if it's an expected move (not implying that you'd expect it...just a heads up).

As far as how active they stay... in june of 2008 we took our then 4 almost 5 daughter. She was in camp ALOT! We had to litterally pry and beg to get her to leave. they had a ton of different activities that kept her occupied and happy. From face paintings, "just playing" and their meals with friends, she had a blast. If i recall correctly they had a msall amount of computer time as well for the "older" kids in the 2-5 group but I could be wrong That cruise was our first and we had no idea what to expect as far as activities and found it was simply painless. I believe from seeing so many staff members that they kind of divided the room for the too young to participate and the interested kids. (again I could be wrong but I saw no fewer then 4 staff members at one time in the room).

We're sailing with Carnival next month. We're experienced cruisers but haven't been with Carnival for a while. My son will be a few months shy of turning 6.

If you've been on a Carnival ship recently with a child that is five years old, what did you think of the mix of the activities in that age group?

The ability level/interest of a two year old and an almost six year old seem so vastly different that I'm concerned how they can be expected to be entertained by the same things.

Thanks.

My younger son was 2 years old when he first cruised on Carnival and couldn’t get enough of it. Last December, when he was 5 and half, on his third cruise, he has somewhat outgrown that group. He would come back and say “there are a lot of babies in the camp” – calling the 2 year old “babies”.

He enjoyed his time at the camp when he was there, but he was just as happy to hang around us playing miniature golf/ping pong and the water slides during the day time. At the camp, they had activities like face painting/arts and craft and reading books and meeting with the mascot Funship Freddy, but there is a big disparity in maturity between a 2 year old and a 5 year.

If you sail during the summer vacation period where other kids are still on vacation, there should be enough 5 year old kids in that age group for them to make friends with each other. Just keep in mind at that age group, they won’t want to be in camp for hours and hours. Other things on the ship are now vying for their attention. So drop them off at the camp sparingly and they will enjoy the short stay.

Archived