Some clarification re: Heathrow to Piccadilly Circus

Thanks so much for helping.

If I do a generic search on the tfl.gov website, the suggested journey takes 36 minutes:

1. Heathrow Express toward Paddington National Rail Station (train),

2. Paddington Nat. Rail Sta. to Piccadilly Circus (Underground).

If I do an "advanced search" and indicate I want the fewest transfers, the journey takes 47 minutes:

1. Heathrow Underground Sta. to Piccadilly Underground Sta. via Tube only (no train).

The Tube only option seems best even though it takes 11 minutes more (avoid transfering w/ lugguage). Am I right about that?.

Secondly, under an "advanced search" if I select no stairs (i.e., escalator is OK), the route changes to Underground and buses, and I think it takes over 1 hour. So how much stairs am I looking at, both at Piccadilly Circus Underground station and the Heathrow Underground Station?

Lastly, would anyone know which terminal a British Airways flight from San Francisco would arrive into?

Thanks so much.

yes, I'd go for the underground all the way to Piccadilly - not only easier not having the hassle of transferring with luggage but also a lot cheaper.

There are escalators to get to the underground at Heathrow. Can't rememeber how many steps there are at Piccadilly station.

BA flights used to arrive at terminal 3 from the US but could well be terminal 5 now. Either way you can still get to the underground

The Tube only option seems best even though it takes 11 minutes more (avoid transfering w/ lugguage). Am I right about that?
If you are heading for Piccadilly Circus Tube from Heathrow, the Tube is definitely the better option - provided that you can manage your luggage on it.
So how much stairs am I looking at, both at Piccadilly Circus Underground station and the Heathrow Underground Station?
At Heathrow T5, there are no stairs to access the trains. Lifts (elevators) are the primary access although you can use the escalators if you prefer. Usually, the escalator route is slower than the lift route.

At Piccadilly Circus, it's 19 stairs up, then a subway, then two escalators. That gets you into the booking hall, which is underground; it's another 25 stairs or so up to street level depending on exactly which exit you use. Go to the interactive map, click on the words "Piccadilly Circus" and then select "Station Access" for more details.

Lastly, would anyone know which terminal a British Airways flight from San Francisco would arrive into?
No doubt about this: Terminal 5. That's not going to change any time soon.

One thing to consider is the Tube is a commuter system so depending on the time of day, it can be very crowded or semi empty. Something to think about if you are carrying luggage.

I always take the train (local) and then Black Cab to the final destination.

Cheers

Archived