Hopewell Rocks question

My son and I are trying to decide if we should rent a car and drive to Hopewell Rocks while we are in port at Saint John. We dock at 8am and must be back on the ship by 5pm. I hear its a 2 hour drive to get there. Is it worth the drive, is it as beautiful as the pictures? And, if we drive there will we be able to actually walk on the ocean floor or will it be high tide? We will be there on saturday 8/8/09.

If we make the drive is there things to see along the way? :confused:

You've got the driving time about right, 2-1/4 hours, but perhaps you might not be appreciating the attraction of the Hopewell Rocks. What is especially impressive there is the magnitude of the tides, and being able at one time to walk on the beach and at another time that day to have it all flooded.

Now on the day that you're going to be in Saint John you will be able to walk on the beach from 5:40 a.m. until 11:40 a.m., and then again from 5:56 p.m. until 11:56 p.m. High tide will be at 2:21 p.m. (You can find the tide table here: http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/English/documents/aug.pdf) Thus, it may be possible to do this if you're able to get there quickly. I went there on a very good tour, albeit from Moncton rather than Saint John. To that extent I can recommend Roads 2 Sea Guided Tours, http://www.roads2sea.com. It does seem as though she does do shore excursions that also includes Fundy National Park (but not the kayak adventure described below). She is very personable and not at all an indifferent tour operator. I give here a thumbs up.

If it fits in as well, you might want to consider kayaking in the very same area where you will have previously walked. Baymount Adventures, http://www.baymountadventures.com, is the definitive operator in that respect. They will have a 1-1/2 to 2 hour kayak adventure at the Rocks on your arrival day, at 12:15 p.m. and 2:15 p.m. This schedule would allow you to to quickly arrive at the Rocks and walk on the ocean floor. Then eat lunch. Then go kayaking at 12:15 p.m. While I have not done the kayaking, I did do a caving tour with this operator in Hillsborough and was quite satisfied with their operations.

I thought the Hopewell Rocks were quite interesting and a worthwhile attraction if you enjoy this part of nature. I did it because I was in Moncton finishing a holiday trip to Newfoundland and a business convention starting 2 days later. It was a pleasant diversion, perhaps a 6 or 7 on a 10-point scale.

Hi GTJ,

We (my daughter and her friend) will be on the 8/24th sailing from NYC to Saint John and Halifax. I have some questions about the reversing falls and the Hopewell Rocks and am wondering if you would be so kind as to e-mail me (chantal747@aol.com) your phone # so that I can get a better understanding of the excursions.

I thank you,

Chantal

Archived