Question on Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

SF

I would like to know from anyone that has been to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins (we'll be there this week) if there is a problem with mosquitos or insects and should we bring some kind of bug spray with DEET for our kids? I did read a post where someone stated they got bitten a lot at the Monkey Farm but I was wondering if that would also include the ruins.

We just got back from the Grand and Chacchoben Mayan Ruins was the tour we took in Costa Maya. I took bug spray and used it but I did not think the mosquitos were bad. In fact I didn't have a problem at all.

The guide had an aerosol spray can of OFF that she offered if you wanted to use it.

There is also a tent like structure near the bus parking lot where there are local crafts and other stuff. Be prepared to barter with them. I know a man that bought a small carved wooden duck for $8.00 that originally was $35.00.

I on the other hand wasn't so savvy. I bought a carved mahogany mortar and pestle for $20.00 (originally 28.00) but I wanted it (I'm a pharmacist) and it was really unique with the carved Mayans on the mortar. I would have paid the 28.00 if necessary. I didn't see much quality stuff here but it was fun just to look around. There was also a refreshment area where they were cracking coconuts, putting a straw in it for the milk and selling them. I didn't buy one and had to ask what it was.

They also served us beer on the way back to the ship!

Callicat,

What tour did you take? Did you book thru the cruiseline? We will be on the Jewel of the Seas, in Costa Maya on 4/20. We were thinking of booking the excursion thru the ship, $65 per person.

Anne

We booked through Princess.

Sorry I don't remember the cost of the tour. We had originally booked a longer ruin tour but with a 12 yr old, we changed our mind.

The bus ride from Costa Maya was around 1 hour, the tour 2 hours, then back on the bus. I remember the tour guide telling us when we got back to Costa Maya that they would take tips!

We had plenty of time to walk through the marketplace at Costa Maya before boarding the ship. Be prepared to be hounded by the locals in the middle of the selling area that have their own booths. There were several jewelry stores as I recall (Tanzanite Int, Diamonds Int....but don't buy here....you won't get any deals. Wait until Cozumel if that's one of your stops.

Guest Crazeecat5

I also have a question about the ruins.......

I have some difficulties walking and need to rest fairly often. Are there places to stop and sit at the ruins? If I go on a tour, will I be able to "catch up" with them if I stop?

I will be with my cousin and her daughter on their first cruise. Would love for them to see the ruins.

Thanks,

Sheryl

Thanks for the reply. Our 3 kids will be with us, 15, 13, and 8. They are very interested in seeing the ruins. How did your 12 year old like them? Was it worth the time and money? If we go I'll book with RCCL, I feel more safe that way.

Anne

We walked quite a bit. We would stop at intervals for the guide to tell us about a particular area and then go on. There was no place to sit down until we reached one of the ruins and then you could sit on the steps of it. We climbed some steep stairs to reach some of the ruins but I believe there is a sloped path you can take to get there also.

Going back to the busses is about 1/4 mile from the last site.

Personally, I think if you have difficulty walking or tire easily, this isn't the tour for you. The paths are dirt and uneven and although you don't walk continually, there is a considerable amount of walking involved.

As far as my 12 yr old.....he is going through a hormonal phase reaching the teen years and nothing is fun for him unless if involves a gameboy or PS2....and I am now finding out just how stupid I am (I'm 48 yr old)!

(he did enjoy the Embara Indians in Panama though)

I think it was worth the money....I feel we made a good choice. You know you always second guess yourself that you could have picked a better tour but I wanted to see some ruins and this ended up working out great.

We booked our tour (Chaccoben) outside the "tourist village". Go directly to exit do not be grabbed by the obnoxious vendors inside! Upon leaving the village go to the 2nd or 3rd booth on right to book the tour. We paid about $40 per person Nov 2004.

About an hour ride to the ruins in an "air conditioned" van as long as the windows were down! Didn't bother me but just be aware. Hire the guide at the ruins, well worth it!!!

No resting places seen, but guide would wait for us if needed. Quite primitive, rough walking and climbing. Guide helped 70+ years old with climb up and down.

Go to the beach village by bus or taxi to do shopping at costa maya. "Cruise village" is a rip off!!! Catch either just outside the exit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived