Temp. in Dining Room...Why so uncomfortable? What can be done?

rpmljm

Hi Folks,

I don't know about you but I am so tired of trying to enjoy a nice meal and being so cold (even with a sweater on) that I can't wait to get out.:eek: It really hampers my enjoyment of the dining experience which I feel is a big part of cruising. I realize that there are wait staff who are moving around and working hard, but ultimately it is the paying customer whose comfort should be a priority. I have had this porblem on most of our cruises and I have read many comments by other posters about this problem as well.

I realize also that cruise companies want to move people out of the dining room as quickly as possible,which is probably why thay do it, but it is very difficult to enjoy a meal when all you can think about is how cold you are.

Anyone have any suggestions about what we, the paying customers, can do to change this?

Laurie

... that's a tough call... mostly because how people feel temperature is so different.

I thrive in the cold... my wife hates the cold... We feel the cold differently...

If they raised the temperature, you'd hear the opposite complaint... so... what do you do about it?

Have you put it in your comment card?

I understand your concern, but its virtually impossible to get the air temperature where everyone is comfortable. I work in a large office with over 400 employees, and air temps are the biggest complaint. No matter what they do, someone is always too cold, and someone else is always too hot.

I am a hot-natured person, so the temps in the dining rooms never bother me, but I can see why they do bother some others.

• Administrators

There's an assumption being made here that everyone thinks this is a "problem," but I'm not one of them. I've always been quite comfortable in the dining rooms, theaters, etc. Yes, they are kept on the too-cool side, rather than the too-warm side. But those who are too warm can only take OFF so much, while those who are too cool can always put ON something heavier.

I think part of your issue is very similar to mine. Whenever I spend a day in the nice warm sun, in the evening I am FREEZING. But to that effect I think I would rather dress a little warmer or take a sweater with me to dinner then have the serving staff sweating into my food.

DW and myself have never had a issue in the dinning room with the temps. DW

likes rooms warmer than I but we never had a issue with its temps.

The rooms on the Glory the last time were warmer than I like it. I plan on

bringing a fan when we go in the spring and summer!

Yes, more clothing can be added, but it kind of ruins the atmosphere if you are a woman and have to wear heavy pants, socks, shoes, and a sweatshirt to dine. I prefer to wear something that I can feel I look nice in and is seasonally appropriate. It would be kind of funny if a lot of people did that sometime. On other threads about dining room attire, many say they don't care what others think about their level of dressiness. I guess in order for those of us who are cold to be comfortable we should just dress warmly and look like fools. I just don't want to do that. I like dressing nicely but I am never comfortable and it disappoints me when I am so cold.

I'm comfortable in the dining rooms the way they are. Think about it, would you rather put on a sweater or smell a waiter's Bo when they serve you?

Sewut

You are so right. They keep the dinning room cooler because there are so many people in the room, the waiters are running around taking care of everyone and it is a lot easier to keep warm then it is to keep cool.

I hope they never change the temp in the dinning room.

I have always been comfortable in the MDR also. I can not stand to eat when it is hot. I agree with everyone else in that it is easier for those who are cold to put more clothing on then for those of us who may be hot to take it off. So in this case I think it is a matter of personal responsibility to make yourself warm.

I find the MDR usually cooler but not to the point of having to wear a sweatshirt or long pants & socks....I usually pack a lightweight sweater for the dining room and main show lounge. I agree that I sure don't want my waiters to start sweating over me!!

I am usually cold, taking along a shawl. But I have not had any trouble for several years. the one place I was always cold was on HAL Oosterdam in the show lounge. Once you entered and started down the steps, it was like going through several different temperature zones, the lower you went the colder. EM

Anyone have any suggestions about what we, the paying customers, can do to change this?

Hopefully, nothing. As pointed out by others, everyone has a different definition of whether it is too hot or too cold or just right. Guess it's the Goldilocks syndrome.

It's too cool for me most of the time so I just take a sweater. But this is no different than it is in most restaurants at home. I know when I go out, I will probably need a sweater.

And frankly, since there is no right answer to what temperature it should be, then I think they are doing the right thing by keeping it cooler. I would rather be uncomfortable than worry about sweaty wait staff any day.

I was on the Elation a few years ago and I remember the waiter actually dripping with sweat. This was the first time I ever saw that. He was on the heavy side. I thought it was an odd place for him to work since he seemed to have a sweating problem. :eek:

I have felt cold in the dining room too. I even feel cold in restaurants at home. I've started drinking a hot beverage (coffee, tea) with my meal. It helps me stay warm. May seem like a silly solution, but it works for me.

I'm comfortable in the dining rooms the way they are. Think about it, would you rather put on a sweater or smell a waiter's Bo when they serve you?

Sewut

Couldn't agree more. Why do people insist on going to a restaurant in the summer or in a warm climate underdressed? The server must love fielding requests to turn the a/c down while sweat beads on their forehead. Patrons have the ability to add layers. The server doesn't have the luxury of stripping down to his boxers cuz grandma's cold.

On my last cruise, I was freezing everywhere on the ship. The previous two cruises, I took jackets and sweaters and never put them on. Seems to be different every time (or maybe I am?).

Right now, I'm in "hot flash" mode, so no worries about my next cruise! :p

I am always freezing--I mean ALWAYS. Unless it's above 85, I'm cold. I have never ever ever felt cold in the dining room. It's always consistently comfortable to me. I never feel the need to wear a sweater or more layers. It's the strangest thing. Maybe the fact that there are a lot of people in the dining room gives me the perception that it should be warmer than it is? I don't know.

Too cold? I dread formal nights. When I have to wear a suit and a tie in the MDR, it feels quite warm to me. I would actually appreciate it if it was a bit cooler on formal nights, but, I know that the ladies who are wearing gowns with little covering their arms and shoulders will be cold. So, I sweat it out.

I think the originator is at least the minority for those reading her posts...

I too have never noticed the dining room is cold. If you think about it - it needs to be cool - you do not want your server to be sweating on you - that would be gross! :eek: Also, if you have been out in the sun all day, you tend to feel cooler or get chilled easier. That could be it. Easier to but on a sweater than to take everything off unless we are on a nude cruise. And I think even then they dress for dinner... not sure.

:D

Archived