Luggage questtion

gacruiser

Has anyone had any problem flying with 28 inch luggage ,with being charged for an extra large bag instead of the regular luggage bag fee? I emailed Delta the other day and was informed they include the handle and wheels on their measurements. This means I have to go and get another bag or pay the extra $50. Thinking I might could find an inexpensive bag at tjmax.

Seems to me there is some confusion here. Are we talking carry-on or checked baggage? If checked baggage most air carriers have a limit of 62 inches and 50 lbs. or less. Length+Depth+width cannot exceed 62 inches. Some air carriers are more stringent. Check their web site for more info.

Has anyone had any problem flying with 28 inch luggage ,with being charged for an extra large bag instead of the regular luggage bag fee? I emailed Delta the other day and was informed they include the handle and wheels on their measurements. This means I have to go and get another bag or pay the extra $50. Thinking I might could find an inexpensive bag at tjmax.

When I check my boogie board in on flights nobody has ever brought out a tape measure and it's a few inches over.

Here we go again, trying to answer a question without knowing for sure what the question is.

For checked bags, you are well withing the SIZE limit. Weight is then the next question.

For carry on, I believe you are going to have a problem. Though they do not say it directly on their web site, but 22" is probably the biggest you can get away with.

By the way, I would put more faith in the web site than from an individual agent.

http://www.delta.com/travel-agency/library/baggage/carry_on/index.jspte that I could find, I think 22" is about as big as you are going to deal with.

We always travel with one wheeled carryon and one shoulder bag when using air service now. We carryon/carryoff, no suprises and no waiting for bags that sometimes don't show up.

A little off-topic, but: I planned to do that last year when we flew to Italy, to avoid lost/delayed luggage problems. But even though I fit everything into a bag of the right size, the weight was over limit and they made me check it through. I was disappointed since I had done a LOT of editing to get it down to carry-on size.

I couldn't get that link to work (probably my work computer's fault), but the website says this about carry-on:

Size and Weight Restrictions

If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size and weight restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply. Your bag must:

Weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg).

Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.

Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).

Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

Checked luggage depends on where you are going. But I would not count on them not having a tape measure. Depending on who is on duty, they can be pretty strict. Why not invest in a smaller bag?

Seems to me there is some confusion here. Are we talking carry-on or checked baggage? If checked baggage most air carriers have a limit of 62 inches and 50 lbs. or less. Length+Depth+width cannot exceed 62 inches. Some air carriers are more stringent. Check their web site for more info.

I had checked website. However the confusion is when the agent said the wheels and handles are included. If I measure my bag with the wheels and the side handle sticking out it is 63 inches. If I flatten the side handle it puts me at 62 inches. I guess to be on the safe side and not have to pay the addition $50, I'll duct tape the side handle to the bag. I don't use that anyways. I was just wondering if anyone had run into this issue when checking in a bag and were they really that stringent with the handle measurements included.

I had checked website. However the confusion is when the agent said the wheels and handles are included. If I measure my bag with the wheels and the side handle sticking out it is 63 inches. If I flatten the side handle it puts me at 62 inches. I guess to be on the safe side and not have to pay the addition $50, I'll duct tape the side handle to the bag. I don't use that anyways. I was just wondering if anyone had run into this issue when checking in a bag and were they really that stringent with the handle measurements included.

I think you'll be fine with your bag..but if you're not using the handle anyway, it's probably a good idea to tape it down. Those can get "hung up" on all sorts of things along the way, and your bag could end up getting torn.

Have a great cruise!

Archived