Red Sea Cruise on Celebration cabin 5 deck 9

Hi to you all,

We are quite new to cruising having only done one cruise so far this year on the Island Escape, but we really enjoyed it. Reading all of your posts has been really helpful too. We are travelling in december doing the red sea cruise on celebration Can anyone advise what the weather is usually like , we are staying on in sharm el sheik for a week after, and have heard of varying weather types which means I dont know what to pack (hubby says I always take too much anyway!!). Also has anyone stayed in Cabin 5 on deck 9 as this has been pre booked for us but I am not sure whether it will be too noisy ( near stairs). Thanks for any further advice ( p.s other posters on red sea excursions have been really useful too)

Thanks

Jessie hope that you have a great cruise.

We have just been on the Celebration Pearls of the Aegean (see my Review) and thoroughly enjoyed being up on deck 9 ...it's worth the extra. We had cabin 2, and the worst noise was the cabin aircon, but it never stopped us sleeping. It was also good to settle down on an early night (not many!) with the gentle sounds of the jazz piano, playing in Horizons next door! You should be Ok in cabin 5, as most of the "traffic" has gone when the sun goes down and the sun beds are away for the day. Be aware however, that the sun beds are put out at about 7 am, and they are dragged about on the deck over your head, so you may hear that.

All in all not a noisy deck.

Hi Dykercruiser,

Thanks for the info, any other advice from other cruisers greatly appreciated. With regard to the sunbeds do people put there towels out early too!! This was not allowed on the Island Escape, anybed with a towel on and not used for 10 mins had the towel removed :)

hi jessie36 hope you enjoy your cruise to the red sea have heard good reports on the celebration from fellow cruisers when we were on the spirit last year. we have just booked for the island escape for the 1st sept. only just over 4 weeks to go. glad to hear about the sunbeds its so annoying when people hog the beds all day and dont use them. we are thinking of prebooking on deck 9, what deck were you on and do you have any tips for me. thanks

Hi infoqueen,

We had a balcony cabin on deck 9 which was great if a little compact!!. The deluxe cabins with window on deck 9 without balcony seemed to be ok but beware some of them look out onto the lifeboats so have a restricted view. The staff were amazing on this ship and the hygiene was excellent. Staff were always cleaning throughout the day. The restaurants were good too and the food in the restaurant that you pay extra for was excellent, although the other two restaurants were good too. We did the mediterranean spirit cruise and loved it, we are on the island escape again next Easter as well as being on celebration for christmas this year. As you can see the Island Escape gave us the taste for this type of informal cruising and I cant wait for the Christmas 2010 brochure to come out. I hope you have a lovely cruise and If you need any more info about the IE just ask.

Best Wishes:):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

We are booked onto this cruise 26/11/2009 followed by another week at the Dreams Vacation Hotel, 50th birthday present to myself with hubbies approval of course and we are soooo excited.

Could anyone advise on the following please:

We plan to do Cairo from the cruise ship but are wondering if we ought to do Petra as well from the ship or could we do this as a trip from Sharm when we are in the hotel (not sure of distances).

Do we need visa's?

Many thanks for any replies

You will be best to do Petra from the ship when she docks at Aqaba, Jordan...Sharm is in Egypt on the opposite side of the Gulf of Aqaba so it would mean a boat trip and then the formalities of entering another country!! and it will probably cost more....I think its 70-80 pounds with Thomson from the ship and well worth it...a once in a lifetime experience!

Did this cruise a couple of years ago in cabin 5 on deck 9. The cabin is OK but the bathroom is very tired and in need of a re-fit (they all need a re-fit on Celebration!). It is a decent size and the view is not obstructed, Obstructed view cabins are on deck 7. You will not be bothered by noise from the stairs. However we found the noise from the putting out and putting away of sun beds very annoying as we like a lie-in on holiday and an afternoon siesta! The staff are not supposed to drag them but they do. We went on deck 7 last week to avoid this. There is a 3 pin socket at the back of the fridge and both European and American sockets on the dressing table.

The cruise itself was fab, We saw the pyramids on New Years Day and the Cairo museum was fascinating. Petra is awesome and you visit it from Jordan. Take a fleece and water proofs and walking boots - the ground is uneven and the weather is unpredictable at Petra.

It gets very cold at night, not at all like a med cruise - we did the sailaway party with blankets around us!

Celebration is a very old ship so expect that and you won't be disappointed. The ports are mainly industrial and not ones you want to potter around. We took trips with the ship - they are expensive though.

For us, seeing Petra and the pyramids made our niggles about sun beds and grotty bathrooms fade away very quickly.

Have a good cruise!

Archived