Packing a suit jacket...Ever tried Space Bags??

rpmljm

Hi

With the airlines now charging $20 per bag each way, I would like to not have to take a garment bag. They do not fit the restrictions of carry-on measurements even when they are folded in half. So....I was thinking maybe if I folded the coat neatly and put it in a large "Space Bag" that might keep it from being wrinkled by the other clothing in the suitcase. Has anyone had any experience with doing that? For those who may not be familiar, Space Bags are bags that you fill with clothes and then vacuum out the air with your vacuum cleaner.

We are already taking a memory foam mattress pad in our suitcase in another space bag. You should see how small it got when we sucked out all the air! For the trip home, we'll just ask the room steward to borrow their vacuum cleaner for a minute.;)

Laurie

Didn't try space bag for sport coat, but have sure packed it (and tux) real tightly before! Usually looks pretty wrinkled by the time we unpack. If it's wool, it should hang out by 24 hours. Can always hang it in the bathroom and run a hot shower to encourage it!

Elegant nights have gotten a little less formal-sooo you could forgo the suit jacket and just wear dress shirt and tie or polo shirt...... We just packed the suit in the suitcase and hung it up---it was fine.

I use the space bags for my clothes and they always come out really wrinkled! I even pre iron my clothes! I wouldn't even think about putting a suit jacket in one. IMO.....But I guess between Downey wrinkle release and the iron in the laundrette it might work...:confused:

Steve

I've used the space bags in the past, and not only do things come out wrinkled, it seems to make things really heavy in the suitcase. Last cruise, DH just took the suit pants, dress shirt and tie and left the jacket at home. He was dressed just fine! Now if we could just figure out how to make his dress shoes weigh less!:confused:;)

I used the space bag, but it was one with a hanger like a garment bag type one and my clothes were fine. I put my dresses in and then laid if flat in the bottom of my suitcase and I really do not remember my clothes being wrinkled. I got the bag at walmart in the aisle with the clothes baskets and stuff.

Stick to using the space bags for stuff like shorts, t shirts, socks, underwear. Stuff does wrinkle in them. Then lay the suit jacket over top in the suitcase. Be careful - you can very easily go over your weight limite for the airline using the space bags as the condense stuff.

There are travel space bags available out there that don't requier a vacuum as well.

You could use the space bag, or just shove it in the suitcase and then get them to press it, but you have to pay for that.

DH's was a little wrinkled and we Downey Wrinkle Released it. I love that stuff!

Someone needs to invent some men's shoes that are interchangable, like flip-flops that come with a cover for dress shoes, a different cover for casual shoes... For Pete's sake, how are we supposed to pack all of those men's shoes??

Shay

Hi

We are already taking a memory foam mattress pad in our suitcase in another space bag. You should see how small it got when we sucked out all the air!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why?

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the advise. I think I will just pack the jacket and use a dry cleaner bag.

The reason I'm taking a mattress pad is because I have lower back pain (and diffuculty sleeping)on every mattress I sleep on that is not my own (such as hotels, etc.). DH calls me the princess who feels the pea!

As far as the men's dress shoes issue....yes they weigh a "ton" in a suitcase. My DH is wearing them on the plane so we don't have to pack them. But even his sandals weigh a lot. He doesn't need as many shoe changes as I, but mine weigh a lot less.

I always use the space bags & never have a problem with wrinkles. I do roll then rather then fold them so maybe that's the difference. I've not done a suit jacket but have done formal dresses &b they come out fine with rolling them then putting them in a space bag.

Hi

With the airlines now charging $20 per bag each way, I would like to not have to take a garment bag. They do not fit the restrictions of carry-on measurements even when they are folded in half. So....I was thinking maybe if I folded the coat neatly and put it in a large "Space Bag" that might keep it from being wrinkled by the other clothing in the suitcase. Has anyone had any experience with doing that? For those who may not be familiar, Space Bags are bags that you fill with clothes and then vacuum out the air with your vacuum cleaner.

We are already taking a memory foam mattress pad in our suitcase in another space bag. You should see how small it got when we sucked out all the air! For the trip home, we'll just ask the room steward to borrow their vacuum cleaner for a minute.;)

Laurie

You coule also try rolling it. that helps prevent wrinkles. then when you get on the ship, take it out and hang it in the bathroom to straighten with the steam of the shower if it is wrinkled.

I always use the space bags & never have a problem with wrinkles. I do roll then rather then fold them so maybe that's the difference. I've not done a suit jacket but have done formal dresses &b they come out fine with rolling them then putting them in a space bag.

I have read many posts about people rolling their clothes. I have just never been able to get the rolling thing down. When I try to do it things just seem to wrinkle as I roll and then I give up. There must be some trick to it that I just don't get.

Thanks for the help!

Laurie

I have read many posts about people rolling their clothes. I have just never been able to get the rolling thing down. When I try to do it things just seem to wrinkle as I roll and then I give up. There must be some trick to it that I just don't get.

Thanks for the help!

Laurie

I don't know if there is a trick. I kind of half fold, like a shirt I'll do the sleeves like I'm folding it, get those tucked in, then roll from the bottom. Pants or short I fold them over then roll, I think I usually do those from the top.

I don't know if there is a trick. I kind of half fold, like a shirt I'll do the sleeves like I'm folding it, get those tucked in, then roll from the bottom. Pants or short I fold them over then roll, I think I usually do those from the top.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give it a try!

Laurie

I tried the Space Bags a few years ago and loved them initally but after trying to use them a second time, the seal thing didn't work. Maybe they have improved the design by now. But my concern would be if I used them to get there and they worked fine but then failed to compress for the trip home, how would I pack everything in at that point with only the luggage bags I had brought? Also, would the space saved be worth packing a little electric pump like you use to inflate air matresses? Mine works in reverse too to remove air. That might be nice so as to not bother the steward with a request to use their vac.

For Pete's sake, how are we supposed to pack all of those men's shoes??

That's one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!!!!

I am constantly ridiculed by my friends and co-workers for making one (maybe two) pair of shoes last a whole trip, from ultra casual to elegant to business dress. On a recent trip, I had a friend ask for my "woman card" since I had only brought one pair of shoes for a week-long trip. bump2.gif

I'm a person who values utility, and will give up extra pairs of shoes if I can bring my dive gear (a.k.a. life support equipment).

As a note, I can pack all of my dive gear (everything except tanks and weights), clothes for a week on a ship, dress for two elegant nights (including a pair of shoes for that), toiletries and plenty of reading material in one bag (<50lbs), carrying on a backpack and my wallet on a string purse. cheers2.gif

I tried the Space Bags a few years ago and loved them initally but after trying to use them a second time, the seal thing didn't work. Maybe they have improved the design by now. But my concern would be if I used them to get there and they worked fine but then failed to compress for the trip home, how would I pack everything in at that point with only the luggage bags I had brought? Also, would the space saved be worth packing a little electric pump like you use to inflate air matresses? Mine works in reverse too to remove air. That might be nice so as to not bother the steward with a request to use their vac.

The travel space bags don't need a vacuum or pump - you just roll the bag from the bottom and the air vents out.

The travel space bags don't need a vacuum or pump - you just roll the bag from the bottom and the air vents out.

I did a quick review check on Amazon and some people said they can't compress the travel ones good enough. Some loved them though. I think I will see if I can get them locally and try them out. If they work then they'll be a great idea. If they don't, then I can always return them.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi

Laurie

Just a few things I thought I should add..skip the mattress pad, you can get an egg crate mattress pad from the room steward if you ask right away as you get on the ship. I also read a thread where a guy used the steamroom in the spa to take all the wrinkles out of his suit. Evidently worked great!

:DJust my two cents..

Shawn

Or you can fold your suit:

Thanks yogi2929!

Let me just post it directly here:

Since there seem to be new regulations, and subsequently a lot more concerns about space and packing...

I thought I would share this technique for packing a suit or just a jacket.

I've done this for years, and it saves so much space.

This is also for those people who are considering NOT packing a suit or tux - because they are concerned that garment bags are too big or bulky, etc.

With this technique, there is no packing reason to leave the suit behind.

This barely takes up any space, and retains the integrity of the suit's shape.

(I'm sure this would work for women's suits as well).

Click on this thumbnail, then on that page (to the right) where it says "Full size"

to get to a 5x7 printable size, in case you want to try the visual directions:

2418632550079337728IlbOCO_th.jpg

Here's one directly linked:

ab10c86a1e62d3adc11daace368c5ea1.jpg

Hang it in the bathroom with the shower on hot for a few minutes if you need, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Pass it on!

I did a quick review check on Amazon and some people said they can't compress the travel ones good enough. Some loved them though. I think I will see if I can get them locally and try them out. If they work then they'll be a great idea. If they don't, then I can always return them.

Thanks for the tip!

I've had the same set I've been using since our first cruise. The trick to getting all the air out is to put them on the floor or bed and put your weight on them with your knees as you roll them. They will shrink down very small.

We usually put our casual clothes in the space bags, then lay our dress clothes over the top of them in the suitcase. Just make sure you weigh the suitcase if flying - the space bags condense so much that you can very easily go over the weight limit.

I've only ever had one of the space bags not work anymore - that was after my DH overfilled one and it popped while pushing the air out. When they say drop clothes loosely in up to the line - follow those directions. :p

I've had the same set I've been using since our first cruise...

I've only ever had one of the space bags not work anymore - that was after my DH overfilled one and it popped while pushing the air out. When they say drop clothes loosely in up to the line - follow those directions. :p

Well I will definitely try them -and follow the instructions properly!:)

Thanks again!

My wife and I found the Space bags work great, except for one thing: Weight! If you use the largest suitcase allowable,(lets say 26"), I guarantee you will tip the scale into the "bad" zone. However, if you are taking a 24" or smaller, maybe they would be to your advantage. Just a thought!:rolleyes:

Archived