Has anyone been on Geiko Island Tours???

xandmoo

My husband and I will be traveling on The Adventure of the Sea departing from San Juan on the 7 day Southern Caribbean. We are looking to book excursion in each port but we don't want to pay RC big bucks... Any suggestions.

I think you mean Gecko's Island adventures. They come highly recommened on Trip Advisor.

Here's the link:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g147403-d1371409-r35778803-Gecko_s_Island_Adventures-Frederiksted_St_Croix_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

They are really pleasant to deal with by email and we're looking forward to using their services in November.

• 3 weeks later...

We were a large group of 24 who booked this tour. We were there August 22. The day before the tour my sister in law was swimming and got stung by a jellyfish. There was not a huge problem with them...just her luck. As she sat through dinner, we noticed her neck getting swollen and her arm and shoulder became stiff and she could not move her arm above her head. Gecko had to split our group into 2 groups of 12 people each. They required a credit card to hold the spot. The first group left at 8am and told Gecko tours that my sister in law and her 2 kids were not going (both under 16) and explained why.

Our group went at 10am. We did the tour. It was great! The ATV was awesome. You get a little bit of every terrain and great views of the island. They are very patient with beginners! The jet skis they sub-contract out from a company on the beach. The people who run the jet skiis were great. We had a one minute sun shower and they moved our bags and towels that they were watching for us under a tent so they would not get wet. We had the rental for two hours. They have 3 jet skiis that fit 2 people so we took half hour turns.

Getting back to the boat, we were told we had to take a taxi back...$2 each person. I thought they were driving us back. Our first group went back by taxi. When the second group left, they guy from the tour offered us a ride back since he was getting ready to go back also.

Here is the problem. Because my sister in law and her 2 girls could not go, Gecko tours still charged the credit card holder the FULL amount! $300!!! They said they had to turn people away all day when they could have sold the 3 empty spots on the tour. Their first tour out was 8am. They were told at 8am. They said they require 24 hours to cancel, that we should have called. We were out at sea...no reception. Even though the total they made from our group was $2100 plus the $300 from the 3 who could not go equals $2400. $2100 in one day would have been a pretty good sale. Not to get too greedy. The tour was great but beware if you have ANY problems what so ever, they were unwilling to offer a fair price for cancellation. Things happen while on vacation. Just take that into consideration when booking a tour. ...jacquee

We were a large group of 24 who booked this tour. We were there August 22. The day before the tour my sister in law was swimming and got stung by a jellyfish. There was not a huge problem with them...just her luck. As she sat through dinner, we noticed her neck getting swollen and her arm and shoulder became stiff and she could not move her arm above her head. Gecko had to split our group into 2 groups of 12 people each. They required a credit card to hold the spot. The first group left at 8am and told Gecko tours that my sister in law and her 2 kids were not going (both under 16) and explained why.

Our group went at 10am. We did the tour. It was great! The ATV was awesome. You get a little bit of every terrain and great views of the island. They are very patient with beginners! The jet skis they sub-contract out from a company on the beach. The people who run the jet skiis were great. We had a one minute sun shower and they moved our bags and towels that they were watching for us under a tent so they would not get wet. We had the rental for two hours. They have 3 jet skiis that fit 2 people so we took half hour turns.

Getting back to the boat, we were told we had to take a taxi back...$2 each person. I thought they were driving us back. Our first group went back by taxi. When the second group left, they guy from the tour offered us a ride back since he was getting ready to go back also.

Here is the problem. Because my sister in law and her 2 girls could not go, Gecko tours still charged the credit card holder the FULL amount! $300!!! They said they had to turn people away all day when they could have sold the 3 empty spots on the tour. Their first tour out was 8am. They were told at 8am. They said they require 24 hours to cancel, that we should have called. We were out at sea...no reception. Even though the total they made from our group was $2100 plus the $300 from the 3 who could not go equals $2400. $2100 in one day would have been a pretty good sale. Not to get too greedy. The tour was great but beware if you have ANY problems what so ever, they were unwilling to offer a fair price for cancellation. Things happen while on vacation. Just take that into consideration when booking a tour. ...jacquee

I have them reserved our cruise in Oct....now my question he said he can take us back if heading that way. Also said it is walking distance.

Do you feel it is and walking conditions?

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from St Croix (on AOS) and did the Gecko ATV tour. The price was $125 per machine for 1 or 2 riders. Arland is the owner and was our guide for the tour. He is very knowledgeable about the history of St Croix and took us to an old rum distillary, sugar cane mill, the rain forest, and several scenic overlooks. It had been raining, so there was a good deal of mud if you wanted to get dirty. About half of the tour is on pavement, with the other half on dirt/mud/rocks. The machines are top notch, well maintained, and have plenty of power. They have automatic transmissions so they are very easy to drive. Arland took us back to the office after the tour, though you could walk back if you wanted to- less than 1 mile. Their office is located very close to the ship, and they have several signs so it is easy to find. We enjoyed this tour so much that we joined the next group and did it again! What a blast, the highlight of our trip. Give them a shot, you will not regret it!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time, back in June. Yes, we were aware of their cancellation policy.

As to getting back to the ship, we ended up catching a ride with the owner's son...but taxi's were also stopping by, ask the bartender if not. I would not suggest walking back, if staying at the beach for a while, etc. Too tiring, and the road surface/width I think makes more of a chore than a 'stroll'.

It is a decent walk just to their offices from the ship (go right at the main street, then left after about a block or two, watch for Gecko signs). After a long day of ATV and jetski, beach, etc - we would have been miserable by the time we walked back to the square.

Take camera/video, that is for sure. And mud puddles are targets not obstacles!

I can't wait on the Jewel I have him booked.

I did get a message say that they changed their location where we meet.

So was that at the new location?

Do you think you need a change of clothes after doing the ATV ride?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there may different options at to the tours. Our ATV portion end at the beach bar and so the reason for discussions about getting back. Ask Geiko direct about what to expect on the return. We were also some of the first cruise pax they took, so they could have refined their options by now.

As to a change of clothes, mostly no need. Unless you really like the few mud puddles and it has rained alot. But since we headed to the beach afterwards, we spent the rest of the day in swim suits anyway.

I suggest shoes, not open sandles, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks...I am getting really anxious for this tour, due to this is our new port we will be at on our up coming cruise.

I don't mind getting dirty, due to my husband will make sure the mud puddles are targets!

Archived